First time post problems

So I put together a pc for my younger brother's birthday out of parts I had lying around and slightly older ebay parts

when you plug it in the motherboard, fans (through dedicated molex), cpu fan (onboard), front I/O, and ram all get power; but it won't post a signal to the screen.

Cpu- Xeon X5472 (adapted)

mobo- Intel DQ965GF

Gpu- GT 730

ram- 4x 1gb Corsair ram sticks

Psu- SeaSonic X650 Gold

Hdd- a few mis-matched ones here and there (formatting unknown)

Cpu Cooler- Hyper 212 Evo

The drives shouldn't matter, since POST does not/cannot check drive status.

Can you check the GPU through another computer?

Can you run Memtest86 on that computer (through, say, a thumbdrive)?

Closely examine the CPU socket. Are there any bent pins? Try installing the CPU again.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Just now, kimsejin5 said:

The drives shouldn't matter, since POST does not/cannot check drive status.

Can you check the GPU through another computer?

Can you run Memtest86 on that computer (through, say, a thumbdrive)?

Closely examine the CPU socket. Are there any bent pins? Try installing the CPU again.

I've tested the gpu before, and I also, know the cpu pins aren't bent, as i had to adapt the socket slightly,

I don't know how to do a mem test though, and I REALLY don't want to reapply the cpu as the hyper 212 evo was a pain (even more so in this case)

LGA775 pins are harder to bend than 115x or 2011-x sockets, though it does still happen.

Do a web search for Memtest86, load it onto a USB drive, and boot to that if you can. Run a quick test (or whatever it's called), and follow along to see if that starts spitting out errors. If it does, run a comprehensive test and see if it's still spitting out errors. If it is, get new RAM. If you have to RMA, state that you've already run Memtest86 on the platform (also list the CPU and motherboard) and they should (especially Corsair) acknowledge and give you a relatively painless RMA process.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Was 965 supported? Can't remember, but don't think it is.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

the FSB speed of the cpu has to be lower than the mobo's max. supported FSB speed. according to CNET, the DQ965GF only supports up to 1066mhz FSB speeds so you won't be able to use the x5472 on it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

15 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

the FSB speed of the cpu has to be lower than the mobo's max. supported FSB speed. according to CNET, the DQ965GF only supports up to 1066mhz FSB speeds so you won't be able to use the x5472 on it.

So I have either the wrong Mobo or the wrong cpu?

do you have a recommendation for which to replace with what? 

this was intended as a barebones cheap build.