Hi, I'm looking to surprise my nephew with a budget gaming PC for his birthday and am in the midst of piecing together a PC for him. Not looking to build something high-end as he mostly only plays games like Minecraft, Roblox, League of Legends, etc.

I've picked out the Intel G4560 as his CPU since I hear that it's an amazing budget processor. However, I'm a little worried that the motherboard I picked out for him might not be compatible.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RD3DZ9218&ignorebbr=1&_ga=2.254909323.2033287240.1493502284-738014669.1493345422

The specs says that it supports Pentium LGA 1151, but I've read on google that H170 chipsets may need a bios update to support the kabylake processors. Would that be the case for this motherboard?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/NdtWGX/msi-b250-pc-mate-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250-pc-mate

This is a good option for the new chipset.

Do you need Full ATX?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

There is no reason to get this motherboard, get an Asus H110m motherboard as it will be even cheaper and with much more chances that it comes with the updated bios already since they sell quite frequent on low budget builds thereafter there's higher chances the brand new ones comes with the BIOS updated:

I wouldn't trust a low sales motherboard from a company like MSi to do have the latest and right BIOS, also you'd be losing money to go with such board for such low end chip as the G4560, assuming all you'll use from the PCI-e lanes is a GPU and at max a WiFi card I really see no point on going with h170.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, shinryu333 said:

You will have to update the BIOS on that board which means you'll need to use a Skylake chip to do that. If you don't want to do that you can get a B250 or H270 board instead. There are some pretty good options for the cheap, even here in Canada.

2 minutes ago, Jrock said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/NdtWGX/msi-b250-pc-mate-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250-pc-mate

This is a good option for the new chipset.

Do you need Full ATX?

I can see you're in canada as the newegg link is in canada.

This is the cheapest full atx mobo that is 100% compatible with that cpu. It also looks pretty nice :P

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

There is no reason to get this motherboard, get an Asus H110m motherboard as it will be even cheaper and with much more chances that it comes with the updated bios already since they sell quite frequent on low budget builds thereafter there's higher chances the brand new ones comes with the BIOS updated:

I wouldn't trust a low sales motherboard from a company like MSi to do have the latest and right BIOS, also you'd be losing money to go with such board for such low end chip as the G4560, assuming all you'll use from the PCI-e lanes is a GPU and at max a WiFi card I really see no point on going with h170.

suggesting an older gen motherboard in the hopes it will come with a BIOS update is not 100% guaranteed and therefore bad advice, when B250 boards are cheap enough and current generation.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

suggesting an older gen motherboard in the hopes it will come with a BIOS update is not 100% guaranteed and therefore bad advice, when B250 boards are cheap enough and current generation.

Every single new Asus H110m motherboard is being shipped with the updated BIOS already, I know because I build computers and there were 3 already in perfect Kaby Lake functionality.

Why does that happen you may ask, well since you probably don't know let me lecture of something, given the differences from Skylake to Kaby Lake are mainly on PCI-e:

Overall, the 200 series chipsets feature minor improvements over the outgoing 100 series. Their total number of HSIO lanes is increased by four on 200-series consumer chipsets, as does the maximum number of PCI-E lanes. - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-200-series-chipsets,33305.html

The features of the H110 line up did not change from one generation to another, to create a H210 chipset it would be nothing more than copy paste literally as there is nothing to change in the chipset of the lowest end, thereafter:

Intel opted not to create an H210 SKU, as low-end Skylake chipsets are already filling the market space that H210 would otherwise occupy.  -  http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-200-series-chipsets,33305.html

That means that Intel meant to keep using the H110 unchanged for the lowest end tier of Kaby Lake motherboards, sure when the CPU just released it was a better pick go with the B250 to ensure compatibility despite its higher price as you could still have older h110 on stock though by this time pretty much every stock of it already's gone, and every single new manufactured H110 comes with Kaby-Lake ready BIOS, it is 100% guaranteed.

Thus why in my advice going with a motherboard such as the MSi H170 that sells really little in comparison and was replaced by the H270 there's much higher chances it's BIOS won't flashed, leading to the best deal to save money as I mentioned the Asus H110m-A:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jY98TW/asus-h110m-am2-micro-atx-lga1155-motherboard-h110m-am2

I would really appreciate that you would not say I am giving bad advices without doing the research yourself beforehand, I put a lot of effort on my helping in here.

Cheers.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Every single new Asus H110m motherboard is being shipped with the updated BIOS already, I know because I build computers and there were 3 already in perfect Kaby Lake functionality.

Why does that happen you may ask, well since you probably don't know let me lecture of something, given the differences from Skylake to Kaby Lake are mainly on PCI-e:

The features of the H110 line up did not change from one generation to another, to create a H210 chipset it would be nothing more than copy paste literally as there is nothing to change in the chipset of the lowest end, thereafter:

That means that Intel meant to keep using the H110 unchanged for the lowest end tier of Kaby Lake motherboards, sure when the CPU just released it was a better pick go with the B250 to ensure compatibility despite its higher price as you could still have older h110 on stock though by this time pretty much every stock of it already's gone, and every single new manufactured H110 comes with Kaby-Lake ready BIOS, it is 100% guaranteed.

Thus why in my advice going with a motherboard such as the MSi H170 that sells really little in comparison and was replaced by the H270 there's much higher chances it's BIOS won't flashed, leading to the best deal to save money as I mentioned the Asus H110m-A:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jY98TW/asus-h110m-am2-micro-atx-lga1155-motherboard-h110m-am2

I would really appreciate that you would not say I am giving bad advices without doing the research yourself beforehand, I put a lot of effort on my helping in here.

Cheers.

You've built 3 machines that had an update. Thats great but that doesn't mean a retailer doesn't still have old stock, especially relevant as you aren't same country as OP. So still not 100% and not as "safe" as buying a current generation motherboard. You offer little cost saving and therefore little incentive to take the risk. So while you may be right and it comes with the BIOS update is it worth the risk and a disappointed consumer or at worst disappointed child? No it isn't. Best option is to buy the B250 and you know it. Also not an apples to apples comparison as OP wanted an ATX board.

So in summary:

- Not guaranteed to work. (99% is not 100, you cannot guarantee no old stock remains)

- Wrong form factor.

- Small cost saving.

- Older.

"Bad advice" might have been harsh, my apologies. However it certainly isn't good advice.

7 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

So in summary:

- Not guaranteed to work.

- Wrong form factor.

- Small cost saving.

- Older.

I say it is guaranteed :P

OP did not specify the need for ATX

It still is a saving and when going low budget the most important thing is functionality over aesthetics and what not

Again, It isn't older, it is up-to-date Intel is re-using the chipset for the CPU therefore it is current gen.

7 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

"Bad advice" might have been harsh, my apologies. However it certainly isn't good advice.

Yes it was harsh from your part and it is by all means a good advice, as much as yours, since in here what makes the thread richer is the plurality of good viable opinions to give OP the most ground to work on, just throw a mobo at him and call it a day could be seen as bad advice as the most important is give him more experience and alternatives to achieve his goal.

Just because you disagree with an advice, provided it was made on a solid ground and gives more meaningful content to the thread it can't be considered "bad".

Personal Desktop":

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I say it is guaranteed :P

OP did not specify the need for ATX

It still is a saving and when going low budget the most important thing is functionality over aesthetics and what not

Again, It isn't older, it is up-to-date Intel is re-using the chipset for the CPU therefore it is current gen.

Yes it was harsh from your part and it is by all means a good advice, as much as yours, since in here what makes the thread richer is the plurality of good viable opinions to give OP the most ground to work on, just throw a mobo at him and call it a day could be seen as bad advice as the most important is give him more experience and alternatives to achieve his goal.

Just because you disagree with an advice, provided it was made on a solid ground and gives more meaningful content to the thread it can't be considered "bad".

Unless you are selling me the board you can't guarantee so please stop saying it is guaranteed. The chance of old stock is low but still POSSIBLE.