NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 vs GTX 690 for video editing / design

Hi, everyone! :)

I've recently built a pretty affordable and reliable workstation to ease up my workflow, but I will soon have more and more projects and I'm entering the 4K video editing world and I want to know from you guys on which GPU I should count in the next year or two. I chose those two cards because of their reputation and power. What is your opinion? I was also thinking about trying the Hackintosh project to see if I can get another level of performance, especially for Final Cut Pro, so I considered adding an AMD GPU on the table as well.

Right now I have these components in my PC:

Core i7 7700

ASRock B250 Pro4

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Black

EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB

Intel M.2 128GB SSD

Samsung Evo 850 SSD

Kingston V300 120GB SSD

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W PSU

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

we can not lend any support efforts to hackintosh projects as per our Community Standards:

• Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

there are devoted forums for that discussion. we can discuss other elements of the build, but not for any support for non-supported OSs.

it really depends on which direction you go. If you are going Adobe, then get the 980 (but I have heard that you don't need a super powerful GPU for it, you just need a dedicated GPU.). If you go Final Cut Pro X then get a 580

if you already have a 1060, id keep it for now, its pretty darn good and for most uses at least in premere your going to be cpu limited not gpu limited.

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

gtx 980 would be better because of Cuda acceleration. 

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

it really depends on which direction you go. If you are going Adobe, then get the 980 (but I have heard that you don't need a super powerful GPU for it, you just need a dedicated GPU.). If you go Final Cut Pro X then get a 580

I'm deifintelly into the Adobe Creative Cloud. A pretty good GPU is needed in order to have a pretty smooth timeline. My GTX 1060 is a little bit lazy in some situations, especially when I worked with 4K files from the Sony FS5.

3 minutes ago, Dan Munteanu said:

I'm deifintelly into the Adobe Creative Cloud. A pretty good GPU is needed in order to have a pretty smooth timeline. My GTX 1060 is a little bit lazy in some situations, especially when I worked with 4K files from the Sony FS5.

alright, then get the 980

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

if you already have a 1060, id keep it for now, its pretty darn good and for most uses at least in premere your going to be cpu limited not gpu limited.

Thanks for the heads up! :)