Windows OS

Beef Boss

So I have an old pc running windows XP home edition. And I'll be building a PC with windows 10. Now, let's say I hate waiting for the old one to boot up to get files off of it, could I just swap the hard drives? I mean I would think I could just take the hard drive that has windows xp on it and swap it so the new one can just get the files off of it. Or no? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Yes, you can just put it in the new computer -- just make sure to not accidentally format it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

yea that will work perfectly fine, i do this on a regular basis to make backups because i have no automated process yet. just plugging it in and making sure it isn't your boot drive is enough. you won't be able to run a lot of the programs on there though unless they required no installation.

As others said, yep no problems. If you used Windows to make a recovery image before you can also just mount those via disk management, but for yours it's just plug and play. 

It'll also be faster to transfer the stuff from old hard drive to new over the motherboards sata controller than it would to add a middle man drive to transfer between old and new drives, as that'll likely be USB 3.0ish at best.