Debian Wine 64 bit.

Does anyone know how to install Wine 64 bit so that I can run 64 bit installers.

Wine settings are stored in ~/.wine, unless you create a WINEPREFIX (or use a frontend to start wine, which in fact will most probably use a WINEPREFIX).

Wine should create a 64bit "windows installation" (I guess it is more correct to call it an environment) per default on a 64bit distribution. Oviously you can not create a 64bit installation on a 32bit Linux distribution, but the opposite is possible. WINEARCH variable is used to control the type of environment wine will create.

So move away ~/.wine (or delete if you are sure you do not need to restore it) and try again.

Edited by Wild Penquin
It -> wine

12 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

Obviously you can not create a 64bit installation on a 32bit Linux distribution

I am running 64 bit Debian. So I have to compile it from the source, have you done this before?

sudo apt-get install wine q4wine; q4wine & disown

On 30.4.2017 at 0:27 PM, mattonfire said:

I am running 64 bit Debian. So I have to compile it from the source, have you done this before?

No, and yes.

Most probably a 64-bit Debian already has 64-bit wine. Unless they have changed the default, it should create a 64-bit wine environment per default.

For 32-bit wine environment, you might need to install compatibility libraries. In any case, you probably do not need to compile from source; the required packages should be available in most major (and minor) distributions. Haven't used Debian for a while (in the last 8 years or so), so I can not say for sure.

Try the q4wine frontend, as suggested by @slicknux, it may show you which kind of prefix you are using, and perhaps help in creating new ones. Haven't used it myself.

On 01/05/2017 at 5:09 AM, slicknux said:

sudo apt-get install wine q4wine; q4wine & disown

On 01/05/2017 at 11:22 AM, Wild Penquin said:

No, and yes.

Most probably a 64-bit Debian already has 64-bit wine. Unless they have changed the default, it should create a 64-bit wine environment per default.

For 32-bit wine environment, you might need to install compatibility libraries. In any case, you probably do not need to compile from source; the required packages should be available in most major (and minor) distributions. Haven't used Debian for a while (in the last 8 years or so), so I can not say for sure.

Try the q4wine frontend, as suggested by @slicknux, it may show you which kind of prefix you are using, and perhaps help in creating new ones. Haven't used it myself.

@slicknux's solution seems to be working right now but there are a few issues. For example it can't seem to run specific applications like the python installer.

https://streamable.com/wz3ku.

On 01/05/2017 at 5:09 AM, slicknux said:

-

Any help?

How come you need Python in Wine? You have it in Linux too.

Why are you using such an old version of wine?

Not much I can see without logs or terminal output.

14 hours ago, slicknux said:

How come you need Python in Wine? You have it in Linux too.

Why are you using such an old version of wine?

Not much I can see without logs or terminal output.

All I was using for wine is your Q4Wine from the commandline with the script you gave me.