HP Envy X360 13.3" Review- Premium, lower priced convertible ultrabook

spwath

I just picked this laptop up on sale on woot.com for $899 refurbished.

It can be found other places with 256gb SSD for around $800.

Starting with specs:
i7-7500U

16gb ddr3

1tb m.2 NVMe SSD

13.3" 3200x1800 touch screen

So the specs are pretty good, its a powerful laptop for non graphics intensive work, with a high res touch screen and plenty of fast storage.

Ports are important too, as many laptops seem to be abandoning them.

1 HDMI

3 USB 3.1

1 USB 3.1 type c (unfortunately not thunderbolt, and unfortunately can not be charged through this)

1 headphone/mic combo jack

1 SD card reader

Good amount of ports, only thing I might wish is the usb c to be thunderbolt and accept charging, or the HDMI to be displayport.

Design

Not as thin and light as some ultrabooks, but thin and light enough. .63" thick, 3.15lbs. However it is beautifully crafted and seems pretty durable. The top and bottom are each made out of single pieces of aluminum, as evident from the sides of the laptop meeting the panels with a sharp edge (sharp in a high quality way, not sharp in a my laptop cut me kind of way).

Pics of mine:

Spoiler

Top, new (IMO better looking) Hp logo:

WP_20170429_15_18_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.e844003fcb3ba3f9e74adac08cb8159c.jpg

Right side:

WP_20170429_15_19_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.2cc614608641a8a900b60bb1d52b3ba1.jpg

Left side:

WP_20170429_15_20_17_Pro.thumb.jpg.7f84516f2dd0f2588fa21b1e73c13b8f.jpg

Open:

WP_20170429_15_20_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.7ffb614499be907990e57496ea19716a.jpg

Yes its a convertible

WP_20170429_15_21_19_Pro.thumb.jpg.79d8613770ef67eb3eb4d540a8577cca.jpg

Keyboard/trackpad:WP_20170429_15_20_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.c3216ba6c02a9441d0ee36bb7364d5d1.jpg

The keyboard is nice and satisfying to type on, with nice tactile feedback, and decent key travel. Has a backlight, but no level adjustment, only on or off. Could be an issue in the very dark. Mostly good layout, with appropriate media keys and such, only issue I find is the up/down arrow keys are small. IDK why everyone does this. I don't use arrow keys too much, but full size would just be so much better.

The trackpad is pretty large, very wide. I could go for a bit more vertical height, but it is plenty big still, about average vertical height. Its width is about the width of the massive trackpads on new apple laptops, but the height is just average. Feels nice and smooth, works for two or one handed operation. Customization within the app, uses synaptics. Good palm rejection, though due to its size, I found myself once in a while clicking down on it when typing, messing it up. I also had a few issues with the trackpad not working for two finger scrolling all the time. It works most of the time, but sometimes it just has issues. I would hope this will be fixed, but IDK. Most of the time ill be using a mouse, and it didn't bother me too much.

Screen:

Its great. AMVA+, not IPS, but I might like that better. Less backlight bleed, and still great viewing angles. Very high res, not quite 4k, but still high.

Conclusion:

Would I recommend this? Yes. It pops up on woot every now and then for $899 refurbished, and is avalible at Costco and other places with smaller ssd.

Premium and strong feeling build quality, excellent screen, large fast storage, convertible, lots of power, and overall just great!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Touchpad issues gone, must have been my fingers.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

How loud is the thing with normal/extreme usage? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, FloRolf said:

How loud is the thing with normal/extreme usage? 

Forgot to answer...

Its not bad at all, pretty quiet, even under heavy load.

I also just tested, can run BF4 on medium settings, 1080p. Under that load, fan is not bad at all.

I'm surprised at how well it can run BF4. But it can.

how are the thermals? I would personally prefer the i5 version if it makes a diff in thermals.

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync

8 hours ago, MarcoTexture said:

how are the thermals? I would personally prefer the i5 version if it makes a diff in thermals.

i have not checked actual temps, but no part of the body feels too hot under load, and neither does the exhaust.

awesome quality pictures

Details separate people.

2 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

awesome quality pictures

Thank my windows phone.

• 2 weeks later...
On April 29, 2017 at 0:53 PM, spwath said:

I just picked this laptop up on sale on woot.com for $899 refurbished.

It can be found other places with 256gb SSD for around $800.

Starting with specs:
i7-7500U

16gb ddr3

1tb m.2 NVMe SSD

13.3" 3200x1800 touch screen

So the specs are pretty good, its a powerful laptop for non graphics intensive work, with a high res touch screen and plenty of fast storage.

Ports are important too, as many laptops seem to be abandoning them.

1 HDMI

3 USB 3.1

1 USB 3.1 type c (unfortunately not thunderbolt, and unfortunately can not be charged through this)

1 headphone/mic combo jack

1 SD card reader

Good amount of ports, only thing I might wish is the usb c to be thunderbolt and accept charging, or the HDMI to be displayport.

Design

Not as thin and light as some ultrabooks, but thin and light enough. .63" thick, 3.15lbs. However it is beautifully crafted and seems pretty durable. The top and bottom are each made out of single pieces of aluminum, as evident from the sides of the laptop meeting the panels with a sharp edge (sharp in a high quality way, not sharp in a my laptop cut me kind of way).

Pics of mine:

Reveal hidden contents

Top, new (IMO better looking) Hp logo:

WP_20170429_15_18_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.e844003fcb3ba3f9e74adac08cb8159c.jpg

Right side:

WP_20170429_15_19_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.2cc614608641a8a900b60bb1d52b3ba1.jpg

Left side:

WP_20170429_15_20_17_Pro.thumb.jpg.7f84516f2dd0f2588fa21b1e73c13b8f.jpg

Open:

WP_20170429_15_20_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.7ffb614499be907990e57496ea19716a.jpg

Yes its a convertible

WP_20170429_15_21_19_Pro.thumb.jpg.79d8613770ef67eb3eb4d540a8577cca.jpg

Keyboard/trackpad:WP_20170429_15_20_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.c3216ba6c02a9441d0ee36bb7364d5d1.jpg

The keyboard is nice and satisfying to type on, with nice tactile feedback, and decent key travel. Has a backlight, but no level adjustment, only on or off. Could be an issue in the very dark. Mostly good layout, with appropriate media keys and such, only issue I find is the up/down arrow keys are small. IDK why everyone does this. I don't use arrow keys too much, but full size would just be so much better.

The trackpad is pretty large, very wide. I could go for a bit more vertical height, but it is plenty big still, about average vertical height. Its width is about the width of the massive trackpads on new apple laptops, but the height is just average. Feels nice and smooth, works for two or one handed operation. Customization within the app, uses synaptics. Good palm rejection, though due to its size, I found myself once in a while clicking down on it when typing, messing it up. I also had a few issues with the trackpad not working for two finger scrolling all the time. It works most of the time, but sometimes it just has issues. I would hope this will be fixed, but IDK. Most of the time ill be using a mouse, and it didn't bother me too much.

Screen:

Its great. AMVA+, not IPS, but I might like that better. Less backlight bleed, and still great viewing angles. Very high res, not quite 4k, but still high.

Conclusion:

Would I recommend this? Yes. It pops up on woot every now and then for $899 refurbished, and is avalible at Costco and other places with smaller ssd.

Premium and strong feeling build quality, excellent screen, large fast storage, convertible, lots of power, and overall just great!

How has the battery been after using it for a while? Is woot.com a legit website ?

1 hour ago, AlanAlan said:

How has the battery been after using it for a while? Is woot.com a legit website ?

seems good, never  run out.

woot is owned by Amazon, legit.

12 hours ago, spwath said:

seems good, never  run out.

woot is owned by Amazon, legit.

Were you skeptical at purchasing the laptop since it was refurbished? How has the unit been? Any problems?

52 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

Were you skeptical at purchasing the laptop since it was refurbished? How has the unit been? Any problems?

not really, gotten refurbished things before.

looked brand new, just different packaging.

no problems at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 5:28 PM, spwath said:

Thank my windows phone.

the true master race

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

• 2 weeks later...

Shit, I'm jealous of all those ports xD I just got the Yoga 720 13.3 yesterday. Only has 2 thunderbolt 3 and a usb 3 type A. 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Shit, I'm jealous of all those ports xD I just got the Yoga 720 13.3 yesterday. Only has 2 thunderbolt 3 and a usb 3 type A. 

How do you manage?
I'm using all my ports now, with a USB C hub...

USB A- phone charger

USB A-External disk drive

USB A- Game controller

USB C- hub

hub- keyboard

hub- DAC

hub- ethernet

HDMI- monitor

That's all the ports, other than SD card slot..

Just now, spwath said:

How do you manage?
I'm using all my ports now, with a USB C hub...

USB A- phone charger

USB A-External disk drive

USB A- Game controller

USB C- hub

hub- keyboard

hub- DAC

hub- ethernet

HDMI- monitor

That's all the ports, other than SD card slot..

Well I'm using this machine for school and I literally got it yesterday. I'm thinking about getting some kind of USB C or Thunderbolt 3 hub, but I don't think I'm going to really need one. Though an SD card reader would be very nice for when I'm shooting photos and video. But otherwise I'm not planning on using many external devices. This isn't a desktop replacement for me, but I'd like to bring it to college next year. I don't know if my desktop will come with me, so I may need to embrace the dongle.

ASU

4 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Well I'm using this machine for school and I literally got it yesterday. I'm thinking about getting some kind of USB C or Thunderbolt 3 hub, but I don't think I'm going to really need one. Though an SD card reader would be very nice for when I'm shooting photos and video. But otherwise I'm not planning on using many external devices. This isn't a desktop replacement for me, but I'd like to bring it to college next year. I don't know if my desktop will come with me, so I may need to embrace the dongle.

I sold my desktop once I got this laptop. It can game fairly OK, and I wont have much time to game with College anyway.

Just now, spwath said:

I sold my desktop once I got this laptop. It can game fairly OK, and I wont have much time to game with College anyway.

Oh okay, I think I'll keep mine as the i5 7200U is not the most powerful chip. I like to edit video from my racing drone, CAD, and games are still fun. The Yoga is kind of a light weight in that sense, but for lighter tasks so far so good.

ASU