Netflix UHD streaming for Pascal based video cards is in the works

Just so that everybody knows, the pascal restriction is imposed by Microsoft and their PlayReady 3.0 specifications. Maxwell is not compatible on a hardware level.

Some Maxwell cards could support it just fine, but only if the DRM was removed.

Just now, LAwLz said:

Just so that everybody knows, the pascal restriction is imposed by Microsoft and their PlayReady 3.0 specifications. Maxwell is not compatible on a hardware level.

Some Maxwell cards could support it just fine, but only if the DRM was removed.

This.

Playready exists independent of HDCP 2.2. Even though the GM206 cards support HEVC and HDCP 2.2, Playready compliance is still required, which is what appears to be lacking.

25 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Then again, how many actually watch 4K content on a PC?

Heck, most around here still either buying or sticking to 1080P TVs.  (Like no joke, I sold my parents' 1080P six year old TV for 100 bucks)

*uses a 768P TV :( *

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

dont you just love drm?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, AmazingRez97 said:

is there a reason for nvidia to rrestrict 4k netflix exclusively for pascal? any hope for maxwell or older cards?

probably the same reason its limited on the cpu side too, very new encoder version

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

What's that?  I can't hear you over the sound of 118GiB of Bill Nye Saves The World. :V

What addon is that, that has 4k streams? I have a 4k monitor but didn't know there was a way for Kodi to play 4k content, as I am an avid user of Kodi lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, Maslofski said:

probably the same reason its limited on the cpu side too, very new encoder version

It's not a codec issue. Or well, it is to some degree, but some Maxwell cards (GTX 960, 950 and 750) can play the codec used just fine. Other Maxwell cards (like the 980) uses a hybrid decoding which should be fine as long as you don't have a CPU lifted from your toaster, or try to play like 8K video.

The problem is that PlayReady 3.0 requires new hardware in order to work. Remove the DRM and it would work just fine.

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

What addon is that, that has 4k streams? I have a 4k monitor but didn't know there was a way for Kodi to play 4k content, as I am an avid user of Kodi lol.

Gonna have to call BS on you being an 'avid user of Kodi' if you presume it's an addon.  In fact, the only Video Addons I have for Kodi are YouTube and Twitch. :)

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Gonna have to call BS on you being an 'avid user of Kodi' if you presume it's an addon.  In fact, the only Video Addons I have for Kodi are YouTube and Twitch. :)

Actually found one that has 4k streams haha. And dang, nice.

Just now, Orangeator said:

Actually found one that has 4k streams haha. And dang, nice.

Kodi's primary developed function is local file playback using a library system, not streaming with add ons. :P

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Kodi's primary developed function is local file playback using a library system, not streaming with add ons. :P

Very aware of that, have a 3TB local network library myself filled with my favorite movies. But streaming is super convenient, albeit much lower bit rate.

Yeah how about I just keep paying my Netflix subscription, not use it and just download a 4k rip off pirate bay and you fuck off with that shit?

Before you jump up in arms no there is no legal reason why I shouldn't be able to do that if I am basically already paying my fair share for the licensing through Netflix, Prime, Hulu plus, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I seriously wonder how fucking stupid Netflix is when it comes to this.

Then again, they're the same ones that thought Bill Nye Saves the World was a good idea.

For those who want context and are brave enough to tolerate this cringe, here it is (don't say I didn't warn you)

Spoiler

-------

Current Rig

-------

54 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

For those who want context and are brave enough to tolerate this cringe, here it is (don't say I didn't warn you)

Sorry I tried, lasted about 8 seconds and had to stop. I think I got stupider just by watching that.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sorry I tried, lasted about 8 seconds and had to stop. I think I got stupider just by watching that.

Same here.  I even went onto Youtube and deleted the video from my viewing history, out of shame for having even clicked on it.

Then again, this is the same guy that started out as a "comedian".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6h4zLC5U8

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Hide contents

yeah... fuck this shit... i'm out. western society is doomed. Moving back to Angola, were people or too poor to care about this shit or too rich to give a fuck

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

thanks movie studio execs. "What if we locked 4k resolution to a hardware DRM chip, THAT'LL DEFINTELY STOP PIRACY, no one would ever rip a 1080p copy or just use another source. BONUSES FOR EVERYONE!"

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

14 hours ago, AmazingRez97 said:

is there a reason for nvidia to rrestrict 4k netflix exclusively for pascal? any hope for maxwell or older cards?

No.

Microsoft's DRM requires support for HDCP 2.2 which the Geforce Maxwell products do not support.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

27 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No.

Microsoft's DRM requires support for HDCP 2.2 which the Geforce Maxwell products do not support.

It's not HDCP 2.2 that's the issue because if that was the case then the GTX 960 would support it. It's that you need some extra hardware features to support it. I can't find many details about it (since Microsoft is super secret about PlayReady) but the best guess right now is that it's like the iPhone's Security Enclave, or ARM TrustZone, where it's an extra chip which runs its own little OS and handles all the crypto. That way not even the OS can access crypto keys or read the final output. 

All I hear is a bunch of companies saying no to "Take my money". I'll happily pay for a service that is easy and convenient to use on any device I wish without restriction. If you want to try and tell me how to consume the content I pay for then you aren't getting my money.

I also object to the fact that different countries have different content libraries for Netflix. I don't care if some company owns the local broadcasting rights, welcome to the global market and the internet. Either give a compelling competing service, partner with Netflix/Hulu/Prime or go away.

Imagine how amazing some of the services could be if only a fraction of the money that is wasted on ineffective DRM and lawyers was spent on improving it or making it cheaper.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's not HDCP 2.2 that's the issue because if that was the case then the GTX 960 would support it. It's that you need some extra hardware features to support it. I can't find many details about it (since Microsoft is super secret about PlayReady) but the best guess right now is that it's like the iPhone's Security Enclave, or ARM TrustZone, where it's an extra chip which runs its own little OS and handles all the crypto. That way not even the OS can access crypto keys or read the final output. 

Oh. Interesting.......

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

All I hear is a bunch of companies saying no to "Take my money". I'll happily pay for a service that is easy and convenient to use on any device I wish without restriction. If you want to try and tell me how to consume the content I pay for then you aren't getting my money.

^^^^

I also object to the fact that different countries have different content libraries for Netflix. I don't care if some company owns the local broadcasting rights, welcome to the global market and the internet. Either give a compelling competing service, partner with Netflix/Hulu/Prime or go away.

^^^

Imagine how amazing some of the services could be if only a fraction of the money that is wasted on ineffective DRM and lawyers was spent on improving it or making it cheaper.

Yeah. It's a shame really.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

IDK if this helps.

I found some documentation on it.

Compliance_Rules_For_PlayReady_Products_10_November_2016.docx

Defined_Terms_For_PlayReady_Compliance_and_Robustness_Rules_10_November_2016.docx

Robustness_Rules_For_PlayReady_Products_10_November_2016.docx

Somehow I have a feeling my X34 Predator doesn't support HDCP 2.2

Gosh darn DRM! Screwing everyone over

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

This is a good thing to remember: different local libraries means that Netflix inherent value changes a lot, very rarely for the better but very commonly for the worst.

Which is a shame because for example I actually have no data caps and sufficient bandwidth (20 mbps) to handle 4k streaming but given the limited library and this DRM nonsense it means that I probably won't bother yet to buy a 4k capable rig and monitor

-------

Current Rig

-------

All those stupid software limitations for Netflix 4K, i think the smartest thing at this time is to just buy a 4K tv with app support and get done with it.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W