Time to retire the old girl

Ok so after much deliberation i have decided that the R5 1600 is the way to go to replace my aged FX-6300. I'm not scared of overclocking so I am confident I can push it to get my money's worth and see if I can close the gap to a 1600X (crosses fingers). My problem is with what motherboard to buy, I want X370 for the extra power phases that most boards come with compared to B350 but I'm stuck with which one to get. My target is sub $220 (~£180 with the premium we seem to pay in the UK). I've looked at the Gigabyte AORUS AX370-GAMING 5 and the ASRock X370 killer sli (about £40 cheaper) and a few others. I am conscious of aesthetics but performance is my main priority.

My question to you good folks is, am I barking up the wrong tree looking at these motherboards? If so which others can you recommend and are there any that I should avoid? Furthermore, how is the platform maturing in terms of BIOS updates, microcode updates etc.?

I've seen Kyle's (BitWit) video about overclocking on both X370 and B350 being the same but I am not totally convinced especially as time progresses and we see further improvements.

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5     CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X       Cooler: Corsair H115i with Noctua NF-A14 Fans     GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4G

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair LED 3200         Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO and 1TB WD Black Enterprise

PSU: Corsair RM750i           Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG in Grey

Edit: Disregard this...

I hate to be 'that guy', but even with all the overclocking prowess in the world, getting a 6300 to match a 1600X in performance is a pretty impossible challenge. 

Just now, MayorPotatoSalad said:

I hate to be 'that guy', but even with all the overclocking prowess in the world, getting a 6300 to match a 1600X in performance is a pretty impossible challenge. 

I think you misunderstood me the 1600 will replace the 6300

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5     CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X       Cooler: Corsair H115i with Noctua NF-A14 Fans     GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4G

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair LED 3200         Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO and 1TB WD Black Enterprise

Personally, from my understanding of overclocking Ryzen, at least at this early stage, the chips are more limited by themselves and cooling than the power delivery that the motherboard is capable of. So depending on what sort of a budget you are on, I personally would not bother spending the extra money simply for the additional power phases. 

Personally, from my understanding of overclocking Ryzen, at least at this early stage, the chips are more limited by themselves and cooling than the power delivery that the motherboard is capable of. So depending on what sort of a budget you are on, I personally would not bother spending the extra money simply for the additional power phases. 

So B350 may be the way to go assuming I won't be using SLI?

I'm not sure what the pricing is like in your part of the world, but I just checked here in Australia, and the 1600X is not priced much higher at all over the 1600. For me, I would save on the motherboard and go for the better chip itself. 

I'm not sure what the pricing is like in your part of the world, but I just checked here in Australia, and the 1600X is not priced much higher at all over the 1600. For me, I would save on the motherboard and go for the better chip itself. 

Interesting, sucks I'm not in Australia. ~£70 ($100 au) more for a 1600X in the UK.

3 minutes ago, jonny13569 said:

So B350 may be the way to go assuming I won't be using SLI?

Depending on how much you have to spend, I would say it may well be the smarter option, provided there are no other features that the X370 boards offer that intice you.

As for SLI, I have 2 x 980's in my rig right now, and I would not recommend it haha

1 minute ago, jonny13569 said:

Interesting, sucks I'm not in Australia. ~£70 ($100 au) more for a 1600X in the UK.

Yeah, that is a much bigger difference than over here, bumber. 

I'm in the uk, pricing sucks compared to places like the us, I remember when I looked at microcenter and there i7s were the same price as our i5s.

2 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

I'm in the uk, pricing sucks compared to places like the us, I remember when I looked at microcenter and there i7s were the same price as our i5s.

I remember when GTX 1080's came out in Australia they were going for $1300... Americans don't realise how lucky they are haha