Weird internet

QuantumBit

So a few weeks ago I finally got a PCI-E network card, and I finally got the speeds I was suppose to get. But then the internet would disconnect randomly. First I thought it was broken so I thought about RMA-ing it. But then I figured out what was causing it: My dad's MBP. Whenever he would open it and connect, I would lose connection, yet it doesn't happen with any other (windows) laptop. It also happens whenever someones (i)Phone connects.

Any idea why its happening? The card is the TL-WN781ND with AR9485 Drivers.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

It depends on what network provider you have (sometimes). Our first network provider only let us connect 5 devices to the router at any one time meaning that if your provider is like this, your laptops may be locked onto the network meaning that they take up the bandwidth for devices. Don't know weather this will bump another computer off the network or not. Hope this may have been helpful.

16 hours ago, QuantumBit said:

So a few weeks ago I finally got a PCI-E network card, and I finally got the speeds I was suppose to get. But then the internet would disconnect randomly. First I thought it was broken so I thought about RMA-ing it. But then I figured out what was causing it: My dad's MBP. Whenever he would open it and connect, I would lose connection, yet it doesn't happen with any other (windows) laptop. It also happens whenever someones (i)Phone connects.

Any idea why its happening? The card is the TL-WN781ND with AR9485 Drivers.

Could be wifi congestion. Test it and see what happens if he's connected through an ethernet cable and not wifi.

8 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Could be wifi congestion. Test it and see what happens if he's connected through an ethernet cable and not wifi.

Can't, I don't have a cable long enough, and even if I did, it would just be running through the middle of the dinning room :/  

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

11 hours ago, QuantumBit said:

Can't, I don't have a cable long enough, and even if I did, it would just be running through the middle of the dinning room :/  

You can't move your dad's macbook to your router?

1 hour ago, Mornincupofhate said:

You can't move your dad's macbook to your router?

Thought you meant the PC, but yea I could but it has no ethernet port.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Is your wifi using WPA2-PSK AES? Try configuring it to WPA2-PSK TKIP and see if that stops the loss of connection.

Additionally, you could try configuring a static IP on your new wifi network adapter.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Are you using the software that comes bundled with the card? According to Amazon reviews, the TP-Link software for those cards is really bad and causes a truck load of headaches.

Try using the Windows built in software for WiFi. You may need to uninstall the TP-Link software first.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:45 PM, Lord_Snax said:

Are you using the software that comes bundled with the card? According to Amazon reviews, the TP-Link software for those cards is really bad and causes a truck load of headaches.

Try using the Windows built in software for WiFi. You may need to uninstall the TP-Link software first.

If you're talking about the drivers I have changes them to different ones.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

9 hours ago, QuantumBit said:

If you're talking about the drivers I have changes them to different ones.

I am not talking about the drivers, but the software that comes bundled with the card. The drivers are fine, its just the software that causes issues.