Should I sell my PC since I am using OS X more and more and almost don't play games anymore?

Go to solution Solved by TLDR,

Hi,

At the end of the day it's all about your lifestyle and plans for the future.

If I were in this position myself I would either turn it into a mini NAS or home server or keep it for compatibility if you ever need to run Windows only apps again or want to gme.

Heres a list of things you could do:

• Start a PLEX Media Server on it
  • Boot FREENAS and have a file server for backups and other stuff.
  • Run Unbutu or another Linux distributions and experiment if your interested.
  • Keep it as a backup in case anything ever happens to your MacBook, not as good as having another apple device to match but it will still work.

If you are genuinely uninterested in any of the above and know you will never need it again then you can consider selling it. If you feel you might want to game again in the future on it but don't have the power you want you can always upgrade it later when you decide you want to.

good luck :)

Should I sell my PC?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should I sell my PC?

• Yes. If you don't use it, then it is a waste of money.
    • Don't. Hold on to it.

So... here is the context of it: I am using my macbook pro more and more as my daily driver, so for 90% of the time I don't touch my pc. 

I used to game a lot, Starcraft 2, league of legends, witcher 3 etc. But nowadays I barely play games anymore. 

Nowadays I only play 2-3 hours of league every week. Sometimes even lesser. 

And if I want to play a few round of league, there are a lot of cyber cafe I can go to... 

I am starting to wonder whether I should sell my pc... piece by piece. 

I am sure that there is no way I can sell my pc as a whole. Unless someone who lives in my city is willing to come to my house and pick it up. 

At my country if I put my pc in a box and ship it to the buyer, by the time the pc arrived, I am pretty sure that the pc is damaged till the point that repairing it is impossible. 

Here is my current specs : 

• i7-4770 
  • 16GB of ram (DDR3)
  • Gigabyte H87 D3H motherboard
  • Corsair GTX H100 all in one water cooling
  • Sapphire RX480 Nitro 4GB vram
  • 1 1TB HDD , 2 3TB HDD
  • 128GB of SSD (samsung 850 evo)
  • Corsair 780t full tower case
  • Corsair RM650 powersupply

The reason I should sell it: 

1. I felt that I am wasting a lot of resources here, putting it there and not using it. Especially with a RX480... 
  2. Selling it can get some of my money back before the hardware started dying. 
  3. My macbook pro's iGPU is kind of dying... if it dies, I can use some extra cash to buy a new one. 

The reason I shouldn't sell it: 

1. Technically you lose money when you sell a secondhand product. Better to use it until one day it dies. 
  2. I could have a back up system at home just in case. 
  3. Also there might be some inconvenience if I use a laptop for my daily driver, for example I have to connect 2 external HDD to my machine. (I am planning to save all my HDDs for storage.)

What should I do? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I'm in a very similar position as you and I would definitely sell my desktop if I could get over the fact that I'd have to sell it for so much less than I paid -- plus I do play the occasional game. 

For reasons not to sell:

1) that's my problem.

2) not worth it imo due to the cost of new hardware when you'll probably have a problem.

3) get a NAS. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you're sure it's not something you'll regret, then sell it.

To hedge your bets, put the money aside into a PC build fund so that you can use it to buy more powerful components in the future.

Also, are you sure there are no big titles you might want to play that may be coming out soon?

Sell it and put the money aside for a PC-build for GTA VI

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Hi,

At the end of the day it's all about your lifestyle and plans for the future.

If I were in this position myself I would either turn it into a mini NAS or home server or keep it for compatibility if you ever need to run Windows only apps again or want to gme.

Heres a list of things you could do:

• Start a PLEX Media Server on it
  • Keep it as a backup in case anything ever happens to your MacBook, not as good as having another apple device to match but it will still work.

If you are genuinely uninterested in any of the above and know you will never need it again then you can consider selling it. If you feel you might want to game again in the future on it but don't have the power you want you can always upgrade it later when you decide you want to.

good luck :)

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I would definitely sell my desktop if I could get over the fact that I'd have to sell it for so much less than I paid -- plus I do play the occasional game. 

I think other than the RX480, I am more than willing to sell those components. 

I have been using this machine for like more than 5 years....

For reasons not to sell:

1) that's my problem.

2) not worth it imo due to the cost of new hardware when you'll probably have a problem.

3) get a NAS. 

I dont understand what you mean....

1 hour ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Also, are you sure there are no big titles you might want to play that may be coming out soon?

Sell it and put the money aside for a PC-build for GTA VI

In the foreseeable future, nope. I don't plan on playing games anymore. I've even created a thread talking about it...

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Get a simple NAS if you need additional storage

Any recommendations? I am planning to save 1 3TB HDD and 1 1TB HDD that I've already have. 

Also I am using a macbook pro as my main machine, does it require some sort of special NAS? (totally noob when it comes to this.)

I saw TLDR suggested me to turn my main pc to a server. I think this is what I will do! 

I am definitely interested to do some tinkering in linux. 

Do you have any suggestions when it comes to building a server? 

1 hour ago, TLDR said:

Start a PLEX Media Server on it

Oh wow. I haven't thought about that! That is what I need I think! 

I think now all I need to do is find out how. 

Will start look into it.

If you have no use for it don't let it sit in a corner and rot man. Donate it to someone who will love and cherish it. there are children in a neighborhood near you who would love to game. buy a 15 dollar used monitor to go with it and keyboard mouse and make some poor child's life.

Make sure it is a poor child!

1 minute ago, Conan1600 said:

If you have no use for it don't let it sit in a corner and rot man. Donate it to someone who will love and cherish it. there are children in a neighborhood near you who would love to game. buy a 15 dollar used monitor to go with it and keyboard mouse and make some poor child's life.

Make sure it is a poor child!

did you read his post? 

11 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:
  • Selling it can get some of my money back before the hardware started dying. 
  • My macbook pro's iGPU is kind of dying... if it dies, I can use some extra cash to buy a new one. 

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

did you read his post? 

He is debating keeping it for a backup dude. thus sitting in corner rotting. do you wait by your pc trying to be a prick? i gave a third option. is it a crime?

5 hours ago, Conan1600 said:

He is debating keeping it for a backup dude. thus sitting in corner rotting. do you wait by your pc trying to be a prick?

what do you want? misread the post?

ah i see, you do sit at the pc waiting for your moment to make a snarky remark. enjoy your day sir. i am off to see what other troll type fellow i can tick off

16 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I think other than the RX480, I am more than willing to sell those components. 

I have been using this machine for like more than 5 years....

I dont understand what you mean....

In the foreseeable future, nope. I don't plan on playing games anymore. I've even created a thread talking about it...

Any recommendations? I am planning to save 1 3TB HDD and 1 1TB HDD that I've already have. 

Also I am using a macbook pro as my main machine, does it require some sort of special NAS? (totally noob when it comes to this.)

I saw TLDR suggested me to turn my main pc to a server. I think this is what I will do! 

I am definitely interested to do some tinkering in linux. 

Do you have any suggestions when it comes to building a server? 

Oh wow. I haven't thought about that! That is what I need I think! 

I think now all I need to do is find out how. 

Will start look into it.

Hi,

Thanks for rating my post :)

If you need any help with the home server things let me know. If you want a file server I would go with either FREENAS, UnRaid or Unbutu. You may even look into hypervisors and virtualisation which will allow you to run multiple operating systems at once.

All the Best!

3 minutes ago, TLDR said:

-snip-

About selling it by parts, personally I'd find that to be a better idea, as your much more likely (unless you already know people) to get buyers for parts than an entire pc

average fl studio fan vs average cubase enjoyer

rubber dome apologist

if you are reading this you are contracted the gae

12 minutes ago, TLDR said:

Hi,

Thanks for rating my post :)

If you need any help with the home server things let me know. If you want a file server I would go with either FREENAS, UnRaid or Unbutu. You may even look into hypervisors and virtualisation which will allow you to run multiple operating systems at once.

All the Best!

Hey thanks dude! I will PM you if I have encountered some issues I have no idea how to deal with. 

7 minutes ago, WubGuy said:

Indeed. I am planning to turn it into a server. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

Indeed. I am planning to turn it into a server. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Gotcha, good luck and damn you for being lucky enough to live near a cybercafe like you mentioning lol; I wish my area had those

average fl studio fan vs average cubase enjoyer

rubber dome apologist

if you are reading this you are contracted the gae

28 minutes ago, WubGuy said:

Gotcha, good luck and damn you for being lucky enough to live near a cybercafe like you mentioning lol; I wish my area had those

yeah.. but I rarely go to those places LOL. 

I am in a weird cycle of : "I really want to play video games." & "as long as I sit down at my pc, load up a game, I instantly lose interest of it."

It is weird and uncomfortable.