Skylake non K overclock, yes or no?

Go to solution Solved by zMeul,

I'd say don't bother

to OC non K CPU it has to be done via BCLK and altered BCLK can lead to some issues, on top of the fact that messing with BCLK disables some stuff in the CPU:

• No IGPU
  • No dynamic change of CPU frequency
  • No C-states
  • No Turbo Mode
  • CPU temperature reading is incorrect
  • AVX instructions have very low performance

to OC non K CPUs you need either

I wont be upgrading my I5 6500 anytime soon but I found out that you can overclock skylake non k cpus. I do need a mobo upgrade, I'm looking into 2 way crossfire so shall I get the older Z170 motherboard and oc the i5 6500 or shall I get the newer kabbylake boards. I'm just wondering if its even worth overclocking a non k cpu? thanks.

no virtually no difference between kabylake and sky lake

Beth Foster

Xbox Modder, Network Person, Aussie

Overclocking cpu's, worth it. Z170 or Z270 chipset? Who cares, if it has the connectivity you want you are good to go.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

You need Z170 with an external clock gen to actually OC non-K CPUs

idk

K series CPUs only have the multiplier unlocked, you can also overclock using the FSB or bus speed however it isn't as easy

I'd say don't bother

to OC non K CPU it has to be done via BCLK and altered BCLK can lead to some issues, on top of the fact that messing with BCLK disables some stuff in the CPU:

• No IGPU
  • No C-states
  • No Turbo Mode

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

to OC non K CPU it has to be done via BCLK and altered BCLK can lead to some issues, on top of the fact that messing with BCLK disables some stuff in the CPU

also, BLCK overclocks can be less stable if done incorrectly

IIRC, it also disables the iGPU once you change the BCLK, for me, I needed to change a bunch of other settings.

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

IIRC, it also disables the iGPU once you change the BCLK

I edited and listed all that stuff in the previous post

27 minutes ago, WindowsXP16 said:

I wont be upgrading my I5 6500 anytime soon but I found out that you can overclock skylake non k cpus. I do need a mobo upgrade, I'm looking into 2 way crossfire so shall I get the older Z170 motherboard and oc the i5 6500 or shall I get the newer kabbylake boards. I'm just wondering if its even worth overclocking a non k cpu? thanks.

Yeah, i wouldn't 100% say it's worth it, I got an i5 6400 to 4.6GHz and it wasn't easy, every voltage had to be cranked to a pretty ridiculous level and I didn't think it'd last that long. It reached about 4-4.2GHz no issues though, so an i5 6500 should go a little further before hitting the wall of rapidly raising Vcore. Finding a compatible BIOS that's hacked and will install on your board is however the hardest I'd say. 

Yours faithfully

If you have the kit ready to try it, no harm to give it a go. Personally I wouldn't spend extra money to enable it. If you go that far, look at a proper upgrade solution instead. I did have a quick go with an i3 in the past. I find myself agreeing with zMeul's earlier post, in that you gain some, you lose some. I found it fun to do to see what I could do, but wouldn't want to run a system like that long term.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think the K version are more stable for OC that's why they actually unlock them I do not think All Proccessors come out identical. So if you do go for it be very delicate with it as you crank things too far you might have a problem. I'd say if you lose the turbo clock it's not worth it. Turbo might not matter so much, but if you don't have the flexible uper range I think things can get dicey depending on the Mobo and the regidity of the Cpu.

15 hours ago, zMeul said:

I'd say don't bother

• No IGPU
  • No C-states
  • No Turbo Mode

I guess I will just upgrade my mobo for now to one of the kabblyake boards to do 2 way crossfire and upgrade my cpu later on. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

• 4 months later...
On 29.4.2017 at 11:31 AM, zMeul said:

I'd say don't bother

• No IGPU
  • No C-states
  • No Turbo Mode

Aside from your ominous BCLK "issues", and whatever AVX instructions are (maybe make that your first and main point), none of these qualify as relevant to an overclocker, aside from CPU temperature, which I think is not "incorrect", but "doesn't work anymore" and simply requires other tools than most standard ones.

Why overclock a non K model? It just doesn't make sense. The K models have been binned to have much better overclocking capabilities hence being "unlocked" whilst non K models have been screened to receive little to no improvements from overclocking. 

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

20 hours ago, Morgoth97 said:

Why overclock a non K model? It just doesn't make sense. The K models have been binned to have much better overclocking capabilities hence being "unlocked" whilst non K models have been screened to receive little to no improvements from overclocking. 

It was just a consideration, as I heard that intel didn't lock the Skylake series of CPU's.

It's too late to do that apparently anyway as most newer stock Z170 (if they are still sold) have apparently an updated bios which does lock the non-k CPU's.