Planning new Ryzen 5 build . Need advise

Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

1+2) I'd get the 1600. It's 50% more cores which will help a lot with rendering, plus $50 isn't a lot compared to the cost of the build.

3) 520w is more than enough. 

Hello guys i'm a new member in the forum (but i use it to search for tips and stuff like that) and i'm planning to build a pc with a ryzen cpu but i'm thorn appart between teh 1400 and 1600 (i plan to buy locally so here it is:

Case: ~45€

PSU: SEASONIC S12II-520 80+ bronze (64.80€)

RAM: 8gb Gskill Aegis cl15 2400 mhz (1stick , plan to add another in 6-12months) (64.90€)

Motherboard: Asus Prime b350-plus (109.90€)

Graphics Card: Sapphire RX480 4gb Nitro OC (209€)

CPU: ryzen5 1400 (197€) OR ryzen5 1600 (255€) ? 

Total with ryzen 1400: 691.50€

Total with ryzen 1600: 749.50€ 

i only have three questions : should i go with the 1600 or the 1400? Is the 1600 worth it ?(read notes). And should i get the same psu but 620watts(78€)? I can go for both budgets but is it worth the extra money for the 1600? Cause with 50€ i can have a nice dinner with my gf lol

Note1: i decided to buy in the best and cheapest local store, and i live in a group of islands that belong to portugal (The Azores) so dont mind the expensive prices since its normal and i dont want to buy online. 

Note2: please dont tell me about the rx580s because here they are a lot more expensive and not like rest of europe launch price or america ... Instead of dropping the 480 price they kept it and bumped the 580 price lol 

Note3: i already have an HDD and an SSD from my old and broken pc . I ve been waitting for ryzen since freakin january and i'm thirsty to build this baby and game.

Note4: me and my brother like to use photoshop, lightroom, after effects, vegas pro. My brother used to make youtube vids before our pc died and he will continue to edit in the new pc. I plan to keep this pc for the next 4-5 years (at least trough university) without getting a new one since i'm not rich and worked hard to buy this pc for me and my brother (i'm 20 and he's 18 btw) .

thanks in advance and please tell me if i made any mistake! 

1+2) I'd get the 1600. It's 50% more cores which will help a lot with rendering, plus $50 isn't a lot compared to the cost of the build.

3) 520w is more than enough. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

@djdwosk97 thanks! Do you think 1600 will "future proof" me better ? Because most games dont use 6 cores yet and we dont know how this platform will mature ...im affraid ryzen becomes like the fx's in the future lol but i like amd 

Definitely get the 1600 if you want it to last the next 4 to 5 years. Also the work you are doing will definitely benefit from the extra cores. It's an extra 50 euros for a performance increase of about 50% in multithreaded workloads that can utilize all the cores to 100%. Tbh the 6 core is so close in price to the lower end r5 cpus that I find it hard to choose anything but the 1600 from the r5 series. That being said if you couldn't afford the 1600 that would be a different story. 

Just now, Cazan said:

@djdwosk97 thanks! Do you think 1600 will "future proof" me better ? Because most games dont use 6 cores yet and we dont know how this platform will mature ...im affraid ryzen becomes like the fx's in the future lol but i like amd 

definitely.

games don't use 6 cores, but when your OS needs to do something, or when your other background programs need some CPU cycles, on quad-cores, it impacts minimum FPS. on 6+ cores, it doesn't.

and in the future, games with DX 12 and Vulkan and new engines will use 6 cores.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, Cazan said:

Yes, I personally think a 1600 will overtake a 7700k in about three years. Again, this is all my opinion. But it's important to note that there are a few distinctions between Ryzen and Bulldozer. Look at the following (extrapolated from Anandtech's Bulldozer review in 2011).

• 8150 @ 4.6ghz -- 5000 CB R10 ST
  • 2500k @ 4.2ghz -- 7500 CB R10 ST
  • 8150 @ 4.6ghz -- 25,900 CB R10 MT
  • 2500k @ 4.2ghz -- 25,900 CB R10 MT

The 2500k has a 50% single threaded performance advantage while the the two perform nearly identically in multithreaded workloads. Compare that to the 1600 where it's single threaded performance is about 20% worse, but it's multithreaded performance is about 15% faster.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Cazan said:

The fx series was setup in a way that frankly I have no idea how you would be able to make it perform well in most scenarios. The r5 1600 on the other hand shows great performance in multi-threaded applications on a level that shows its not all talk. As far as games go the 1600 is a great cpu for the price.

@djdwosk97 @Brooksie359 @tom_w141 @RadiatingLight Thanks to all of you ! I love my money and i'm very cheapstake (i think thats the word lol not native english) but i'm gonna follow your advise and i'm going with the 1600. Maybe this week i order it and hopefully all the parts arrive to the store in 1-2 weeks and then i tell you how it went ! Oh but 1 more question : is this mobo reliable ? Asus boards in general ? 

Just now, Cazan said:

Oh but 1 more question : is this mobo reliable ? Asus boards in general ? 

yes

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Cazan said:

@djdwosk97 @Brooksie359 @tom_w141 @RadiatingLight Thanks to all of you ! I love my money and i'm very cheapstake (i think thats the word lol not native english) but i'm gonna follow your advise and i'm going with the 1600. Maybe this week i order it and hopefully all the parts arrive to the store in 1-2 weeks and then i tell you how it went ! Oh but 1 more question : is this mobo reliable ? Asus boards in general ? 

A link would help...

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, Cazan said:

asus usually has really good support for motherboards. you should be fine with that board as of now. at the initial launch of ryzen 7 it was a bit of a different story. there were some bugs with most of the boards but it wasn't too bad. 

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

A link would help...

look at the orginal post. it's an asus prime b350 plus

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Oh, yeah that's a good board.

In general, all major brands have relatively good Ryzen boards.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Already put a link , dont bother ... All good ?

2 minutes ago, Cazan said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fPDzK8/asus-prime-b350-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b350-plus 

i posted the name in the build parts, but anyways there you have it :) 

Oh, yeah that's a good board.

In general, all major brands have relatively good Ryzen boards.

(Sorry for repost quoted the wrong guy)

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, Cazan said:

Already put a link , dont bother ... All good ?

this might be interesting for you. it shows the asus b350 plus in action for overclocking. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

this might be interesting for you. it shows the asus b350 plus in action for overclocking. 

Actually i watched that today , that's why i chose that motherboard lol but before i was affraid because in the past two days i've seen 2-3 people having posting problems with this board on the first boot and trying everything and not solving it ... :/ 

Just now, Cazan said:

Actually i watched that today , that's why i chose that motherboard lol but before i was affraid because in the past two days i've seen 2-3 people having posting problems with this board on the first boot :/ 

hmm. that's strange. i know i ended up getting the b350 tomahawk motherboard shortly after the release of the r7 and it booted up just fine and i had heard similar results about mine. that being said what they talk about the long time it takes for the computer to post is very true. i honestly though my board wasn't posting when i was just not waiting long enough for it to post before i would press the reset button again. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

hmm. that's strange. i know i ended up getting the b350 tomahawk motherboard shortly after the release of the r7 and it booted up just fine and i had heard similar results about mine. that being said what they talk about the long time it takes for the computer to post is very true. i honestly though my board wasn't posting when i was just not waiting long enough for it to post before i would press the reset button again. 

Yeah , thanks for all the advise ! I wasnt expecting this much responsiveness in my first post lol

11 hours ago, Cazan said:

Yeah , thanks for all the advise ! I wasnt expecting this much responsiveness in my first post lol

Sorry my response is so late I was sleeping (damn time zones :P) Glad you have decided on the 1600 I think you will be very happy with your purchase. If you need help overclocking feel free to ask me as I have the asus crosshair vi so we have a very similar BIOS :) The Asus prime B350 will serve you well and I also watched that video yesterday.

Lastly welcome to the forums and have fun.

@djdwosk97 @Brooksie359 @tom_w141 @RadiatingLight guys i ordered the parts today at the store ! All comming in next week wednesday or thursday :D but i got a math test on friday morning so i can only build it friday afternoon :C i dont know if i can wait till friday to put it together lol . I'll update with photos of the final build :)

3 hours ago, Cazan said:

@djdwosk97 @Brooksie359 @tom_w141 @RadiatingLight guys i ordered the parts today at the store ! All comming in next week wednesday or thursday :D but i got a math test on friday morning so i can only build it friday afternoon :C i dont know if i can wait till friday to put it together lol . I'll update with photos of the final build :)

Don't fuck up your exam :P treat it as a reward for studying then you know you can play it all weekend

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Don't fuck up your exam :P treat it as a reward for studying then you know you can play it all weekend

Cant play all weekend xD my brother can tho aahah i'm a very busy boy :c lol but the week after ohoh dont even talk about that ... school, home, game , work xD eat , do popo and pipi and repeat xD