AVR makes ticking sounds

HanTr

Hello Guys,

I recently bought a new AVR and it keeps making ticking/clicking sounds. As I'm writing this I don't have any apps open apart from google chrome, I don't know if that info helps or not. lol

Is it normal for an AVR to do this?

I'm fairly new to this PC building stuff, so I'm not exactly sure if I need to worry or not.

5 minutes ago, HanTr said:

Hello Guys,

I recently bought a new AVR and it keeps making ticking/clicking sounds. As I'm writing this I don't have any apps open apart from google chrome, I don't know if that info helps or not. lol

Is it normal for an AVR to do this?

I'm fairly new to this PC building stuff, so I'm not exactly sure if I need to worry or not.

It would have to do with the AVR itself, do you experience flucuating voltages in your area, it may be just the swithing inside of the unit.  

Fluctuations, rarely. It just keeps clicking nonstop, same thing happened to my old AVR before i replaced it. I've also just used the new one for a 20 minutes or so and it already is very hot, dont know if Avr's get hot that fast.

The old AVR didnt start clicking as much 'til several months before replacing it. And it was only yesterday i found out that it was already leaking.

I dont if it has something to do with my build or something.

Is it possible that its because something might be wrong with the wall socket?

1 minute ago, HanTr said:

Is it possible that its because something might be wrong with the wall socket?

Hard to say but an AVR can get warm since it uses coiled winding and switches between them, if it's constantly clicking try a different socket in the home to see if it makes a difference. Also what do you mean by leaking they don't contain any oil or fluid inside of them. 

I smelt something burning when i was using the PC 2 days ago and decided to go full bloodhound on my PC. Discovered that the avr was the culprit, so i went ahead and opened it(just the metal cover). There was a dark brownish fluid-like substance on top, not a lot though. 

18 minutes ago, W-L said:

Hard to say but an AVR can get warm since it uses coiled winding and switches between them, if it's constantly clicking try a different socket in the home to see if it makes a difference. Also what do you mean by leaking they don't contain any oil or fluid inside of them. 

I plugged the AVR to an extension cord and the extension cord to a different wall socket. The clicking stopped for a short while, and before I even finished this message the clicking continued. lol

so  few minutes ago, it short circuited or something. There was a mini explosion and smoke started coming out of it... damn..

my pc didnt turn off automatically though, still managed to shut it down properly.. is this because im using a 520watt psu and the avr is only 500watts?

3 hours ago, HanTr said:

so  few minutes ago, it short circuited or something. There was a mini explosion and smoke started coming out of it... damn..

my pc didnt turn off automatically though, still managed to shut it down properly.. is this because im using a 520watt psu and the avr is only 500watts?

Sounds like the AVR was faulty in the first place unless your system uses the full 500W of load it wouldn't cause that. Try to RMA it or see if you get get a good quality unit. 

6 hours ago, W-L said:

Sounds like the AVR was faulty in the first place unless your system uses the full 500W of load it wouldn't cause that. Try to RMA it or see if you get get a good quality unit. 

Yeah will be going back to the store later and get a new one.

My current build uses less than 350 watts in total, i'm notbsure of the exact numbers but it is less than 400 watts im sure of that.

Core i5 4460

Gtx 750ti

Asus vanguard b85

Avexir core series 1600mhz 2 x 4gb

Seasonic evo 520w

frostwin cpu cooler

2 hard drives

Optical drive

4 case fans

2 hours ago, HanTr said:

-SNIP-

Yeah that build wouldn't be cause of worry for overloading the unit and they should also have over current protection if you do go over the specified limit and provide some kind of warning either with an indicator light or audible alarm usually.