What to do after I dropout of college?

aneil1998

I'm planning on dropping out of college after this semester(which ends in the next 3 weeks) as I've lost interest in most of the modules and I can't handle the content. My aim was to learn Java in this course but it really isn't focused on that (BTW the course I'm doing is BTEC CSD). 

I was wondering on what certifications to get (like A+, Network+, etc..) to help me better my chances of getting a job in the IT Field. And also, what online courses I should take to learn Java and C#.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

2 hours ago, aneil1998 said:

I'm planning on dropping out of college after this semester(which ends in the next 3 weeks) as I've lost interest in most of the modules and I can't handle the content. My aim was to learn Java in this course but it really isn't focused on that (BTW the course I'm doing is BTEC CSD). 

I was wondering on what certifications to get (like A+, Network+, etc..) to help me better my chances of getting a job in the IT Field. And also, what online courses I should take to learn Java and C#.

First, when you say "getting a job in the IT Field", what do you actually mean?

Because "IT Field" is like saying "a job as a blue collar man". It encompasses dozens, if not, hundreds of different professions.

You need to define the kind of things you want to be doing, and the kind of tasks that will be required.

If your goal was to learn Java, but you end up being an IT Helpdesk tech, Java likely won't be involved in 99% of what you do.

If you want to become a programmer, you need to learn coding. Java, C++/C#, etc. You also need to decide what kind of programmer you want to be (Generalized - learn a bit of everything. Specialized - eg: HTML/Web Design/Web Apps or Mobile App coding or Desktop coding, etc)

A+ is very useful as a generalized IT person or a desktop support tech, and also as a basis for a Systems Admin and Network Admin. A+ is basically the "I'm a computer technician" certificate.

Network+ along with Cisco certs (CCNA, etc) would be great if you're heading down network engineer or network admin type fields.

Microsoft Certs are useful for Systems Admin, as well as Desktop Admin (depending on the cert) - they also have more specialized certs too.

Lynda.com has some good programming courses on there. You can get a free subscription usually from LTT videos when they do a sponsor spot. I've heard Code Academy is good too.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Many people I went to school with that started out trying to get their programming degree ... over 50% of them ended up changing to either support or networking and completed school and got "IT jobs".

I suggest that if programming doesn't come naturally to you, either try some sort of private lessons where you can get taught at your own pace otherwise it simply might not be for you. Try other things, but as Dalek said, there are MANY MANY "IT Jobs".. and you just need to figure out exactly what you want to do.

Remember, a job should not be something you do "just because the money is good". You have to enjoy it or at least have some sort of passion for what you do, otherwise you're mentally stressing yourself out and will burn out... resulting in searching for yet another job in the future.

16 minutes ago, NinJake said:

-snip-

Ah, what if no job suits your mind well enough? Sure a network manager, programmer, tester or technician sounds better than other jobs i have seen in the IT space, but honestly im starting to feel less and less inclined towards it. Finishing my course in 2 and a half months after the internship ends, which by the way is currently in an area that is quite different from what the course throughout two years have been...

I suppose electricians, engineers and technicians can get along, right? -.-

Crippling depression kicking in xD (exaggerating, for now).

Groomlake Authority

28 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

-Snip-

Oh I totally hear you... I went through school and took my internship.... TOTALLY different experience in the "real world" compared to a "lab" environment. Needless to say, I have been enjoying the difficulty of getting things done on a limited budget, and it's just my boss and I (Plus one map/GIS guy) in the IT department. They ended up hiring me on after my internship :D

However, burn out in IT is generally known to create a burden for us no matter what job you have in the IT spectrum. My backup plan in the future is to become a trainer for new upgrades and software. (Companies hire me to learn the software/hardware and then do company wide-training sessions for the users to learn) And this is because throughout my college education I learned that I have a knack for communicating technical aspects of things to people I don't even know. And I really enjoy public speaking!

Always have a backup plan.

4 hours ago, aneil1998 said:

Whatever you do please don't drop out of college entirely.  At least get your 2 year degree minimum.  This is coming from a guy who works 70 hours a week to make the same kind of money as my wife who only works 40 hours a week in an air conditioned room.  I work outside doing manual labor.  Don't get me wrong I love what I do but I wish I could have gone to college.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Just don't fall for the college scam in the first place so you don't have to drop out.

I'd just get a supermarket job and find yourself, then start going for it.

imo, computer degrees are worthless unless you're going into academic-type jobs. I started uni in a computer course and realised it was utter shite and most of those people will just go into shite IT jobs. I changed to Chemistry and still went into IT after uni, most jobs in IT don't require degrees.

Now doing a Master's and then will do a PGCE to become a teacher. 

My advice would be to have your dream and only go down avenues to achieve it, much of the time going to Uni doesn't help getting a job in the real world.

@Aneil1988

On 28.4.2017 at 5:59 PM, aneil1998 said:

I'm planning on dropping out of college

Maybe switch study subjects?

I have no experience with your location but you can make IT apprenticeships in my country which gives you nearly the same qualification and earnings later.

Don't worry, life will go on. I switched twice my study subjects because I was addicted. So yeah it is not the end even if you think so right now.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:59 AM, aneil1998 said:

I switched majors over 4 times. Finally found something I wanted to do. Either college, trade school, or self learn if that's a viable option. Bottom line though if you do not have a skill or a skill you can use because it requires a piece of paper your going to be asking people if they want fries with that a lot.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

7 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Just don't fall for the college scam in the first place so you don't have to drop out.

Try and find a real, high paying, long term, meaningful job that doesn't require a degree. They are few and far between. 

Tell me why i should hire you Mr. Jones

Umm well i know employers in this field usually require a degree but i didn't feel like getting one soooo, i am really cute, and i have nice ears.

On 4/28/2017 at 9:59 AM, aneil1998 said:

How much did that cost you or your parents?

If you cant learn Java then you probably cant learn A+ or N+