UPS model not enough for my system?

DND

As the title says is my ups not enough for the system I have? Here is the model of my ups http://www.apc.com/shop/id/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-625VA-230V-AVR-Floor-Universal-Sockets/P-BX625CI-MS. My system specs is on my signature. I have a problem where when I run an extensive software or game something like heaven my ups beeps continuously and the led goes from green to red.

Edit: Seems i'm only encountering the continuous beeping when playing Witcher 3. Is it because Witcher 3 is a very graphical demanding game making my system ramp up and produce more power? Iv'e tried different games that i currently have which are nba2k17, RS6, MGS V:TPP and Heaven Benchmark. All ran fine without the beeping but when I run witcher 3 and get into the game maybe 2mins-4mins after loading up to my last save point the UPS goes crazy and beeps forever.

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it beep on battery power only or just wall power?

Its running at the max of the the ups.

It beeps on wall power. BTW just to note I also have my two monitors plugged in on the UPS. My monitors are an Asus PG248Q and VC239H.

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

Just now, DND said:

It beeps on wall power. BTW just to note I also have my two monitors plugged in on the UPS. My monitors are an Asus PG248Q and VC239H.

Id remove the monitors if you want to use that ups, other wise, get a bigger ups.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id remove the monitors if you want to use that ups, other wise, get a bigger ups.

So if i remove the monitors plugged would the ups be enough to power up my system? Another if I were to get a bigger ups what model would you recommend?

w

Spoiler

Just now, Majestic said:

325W continuous power. Measure how much you're using and verify. I'd say during extensive usage you will exceed that number, especially with perhipherals.

How would I measure how much power my full system would be at?

Spoiler

Just now, DND said:

So if i remove the monitors plugged would the ups be enough to power up my system? Another if I were to get a bigger ups what model would you recommend?

w

It should be fine without the monitors.

Id look at 800va until like this one http://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-800VA-230V-AVR-Universal-and-IEC-Sockets/P-BX800LI-MS

Just now, DND said:

How would I measure how much power my full system would be at?

Get a multimeter or a killawatt meter and measure the current.

Preferably a killawatt, because if you measure the current you have to account for Irms

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It should be fine without the monitors.

Id look at 800va until like this one http://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-800VA-230V-AVR-Universal-and-IEC-Sockets/P-BX800LI-MS

Thanks I'll try it first without the monitors. BTW how about if i only have one monitor plugged in? You think it would still manage it?

I could borrow a multimeter since i'm actually taking up computer engineering. I know this is a dumb question coming from someone who is studying this. But where would i tap the multimeter at?

Spoiler

Just now, Majestic said:

Preferably a killawatt, because if you measure the current you have to account for Irms

That would be true. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has one.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DND said:

Thanks I'll try it first without the monitors. BTW how about if i only have one monitor plugged in? You think it would still manage it?

I could borrow a multimeter since i'm actually taking up computer engineering. I know this is a dumb question coming from someone who is studying this. But where would i tap the multimeter at?

Actually that is more complicated than you'd imagine. You have to put it in series with the devices. You have to splice a wire and put leads on it so it will fit in the meter. Voltage is much easier, as you can just put it in parallel.

Just now, Majestic said:

Actually that is more complicated than you'd imagine. You have to put it in series with the devices. You have to splice a wire and put leads on it so it will fit in the meter. Voltage is much easier, as you can just put it in parallel.

Hmm seems to complicated hahaha. I'll just try taking out my monitors first and try again doing some heaven benchmarks and see if it won't continuously beep.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DND said:

set it to current and put it series with the computer.

4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

almost all reasonble multimeters have rms built  in for current and voltage. And since most all pc power supplys have a power factor of about one, it should work fine, but a killawatt is a much better solution here.

@Electronics Wizardy & @Majestic Yo just wanted to update it seems the ups can manage if i just remove a single monitor on my dual monitor. It doesn't beep continuously anymore and the led indicator doesn't turn red. Gonna try again to put two monitors and see if it would have problems again. If it still can't take two monitors just gonna have to take the one monitor out maybe the vc239h cuz its much cheaper so even if it breaks due to break if sudden power loss would occur then it won't break my pocket that much. 

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, DND said:

@Electronics Wizardy & @Majestic Yo just wanted to update it seems the ups can manage if i just remove a single monitor on my dual monitor. It doesn't beep continuously anymore and the led indicator doesn't turn red. Gonna try again to put two monitors and see if it would have problems again. If it still can't take two monitors just gonna have to take the one monitor out maybe the vc239h cuz its much cheaper so even if it breaks due to break if sudden power loss would occur then it won't break my pocket that much. 

Power loss won't hurt a computer or monitor. The only this it will do is lose current work and possibly mess with the file system. 

14 minutes ago, DND said:

Just like with computer power supplies, you don't really want to be running them on the edge.  I never plug my monitors in to my battery backup ports on my UPS as it's only intended for brown out protection and I don't care if the monitor shuts off for a moment.  The non battery backup ports on the UPS are also surge protected and perfectly safe to plug your monitors into.  It appears your country has some weird battery backups.  Over here in the US we almost always have backup + surge 3 or 4 ports on one side and the other side has 3 to 4 surge protection only ports.  I'd look into getting something 900va or higher when you can, or just getting a surge protector to plug the two monitors into.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Power loss won't hurt a computer or monitor. The only this it will do is lose current work and possibly mess with the file system. 

Oh i see. But i take it back even without the two monitors it's still hitting max wattage i think when i play witcher 3

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Cracklingice said:

Just like with computer power supplies, you don't really want to be running them on the edge.  I never plug my monitors in to my battery backup ports on my UPS as it's only intended for brown out protection and I don't care if the monitor shuts off.  The non battery backup ports on the UPS are also surge protected and perfectly safe to plug your monitors into.  It appears your country has some weird battery backups.  Over here in the US we almost always have backup + surge 3 or 4 ports on one side and the other side has 3 to 4 surge protection only ports.  I'd look into getting something 900va or higher when you can, or just getting a surge protector to plug the two monitors into.

Well i do have an extension chord that has a surge protector in it.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DND said:

Well i do have an extension chord that has a surge protector in it.

Depending on the length of that cord it could be part of the issue.  The UPS should be plugged directly into a wall socket.  Braided wire in extension cords don't carry electricity the same as the solid wire in the wall and it is possible that voltage drop is happening over the extension cord on the way to the UPS and that's why it's beeping; because it's not getting enough power.

1 minute ago, Cracklingice said:

Depending on the length of that cord it could be part of the issue.  The UPS should be plugged directly into a wall socket.  Braided wire in extension cords don't carry electricity the same as the solid wire in the wall and it is possible that voltage drop is happening over the extension cord on the way to the UPS and that's why it's beeping; because it's not getting enough power.

Actually the ups is directly plugged into the wall socket.

Edit: I digress it's connected to the surge protected extension. stupid ol me.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DND said:

Actually the ups is directly plugged into the wall socket.

Edit: I digress it's connected to the surge protected extension. stupid ol me.

Plug UPS directly into wall socket and check again some time.  UPS should have built in surge protection.

Just now, Cracklingice said:

Plug UPS directly into wall socket and check again some time.  UPS should have built in surge protection.

I have a tinsy bit of problem our outlets here in the PH are only two pronged while my ups is three pronged is it fine for me to use a 10A 250V adapter?

Spoiler