Make Noctua industrial ppc fans quieter-ish?

ShwarzNoir

Im having a problem with my acoustics on my noctuas fans.

i tried tinkering with my mobo bios but they were still loud 

also tried speed fan they didnt work at all

then i bought a NZXT SENTRYmix2 fan controller still wasnt satisfied with results :/

also whats your recomendation for a 4 pin fan controller?

Industrial fans are made for durability, not acoustic. 

Better do your research next time.

It's the nature of the fan. Those were not intended for your typical desktop application--kinda like how you wouldn't run a Delta fan if you valued silence.

If you want a fan on par with standard Noctua's without the brown, Fractal Venturi fans are a nice go to.

Yeah I have one as my CPU fan. It sure as hell makes my crappy nzxt CPU cooler perform like a water loop, but it's pretty loud.

My native language is C++

Speedfan software works like a charm if you follow simple inscructions. You hve to configure it ... can't just run a program, change some numbers and it works ... that's not how it works with this software xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

If fans aren't your liking with Sentry (5V/30% minimum I think), then you need to get quieter fans period. iPPC's aren't build to be quiet. They are build to run in hot/cold/dusty/moist environments.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Deli said:

I bet you got the 3,000 rpm version?

yep

7 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Industrial fans are made for durability, not acoustic. 

Better do your research next time.

well they were the only fans that were black and also thought i could lower the rpm's

6 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Speedfan software works like a charm if you follow simple inscructions. You hve to configure it ... can't just run a program, change some numbers and it works ... that's not how it works with this software xD

i did follow the guidelines but the main menu were just blank and not showing anything at all 

16 minutes ago, ShwarzNoir said:

well they were the only fans that were black and also thought i could lower the rpm's

i hate to be that guy, but there's a lot of documentation including on many store's websites about the industrial fans. return if you can. While I am a Noctua fanboy (amazing cs), the fractal venturi are almost identical and come in black

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

1 hour ago, ShwarzNoir said:

Expensive, but delta fans are black as well. Mine run dead quiet at 610 rpm down from 3600RPM. And of course, at full throttle it makes my corsair H105 do things it shouldn't be able to (What heatsoak? lol...it cools the AIO, the motherboard, and the wall behind the PC...)

But yeah, the noctua iPPC fans are made for durability and not so much silence.

I can also recommend the fractal venture fans. While they don't blow as much air (lower RPM), they are so quiet while doing so. Alternatively, the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 fans are pretty great.

What motherboard are you using and what settings did you try? 

What header are you powering the fan off of?

iPPC's are meant to be powered with 4pin pwm and the Sentry Mix 2 isn't the most appropriate for control.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, ShwarzNoir said:

yep

PWM sets the fan speed as percentage. Some mobo won't allow the fans to go slower than 40%. A 3000rpm fan at 40% is still too loud for most cases. The Noctua needs to be below 1000rpm to be quiet. If you have a 2000rpm version, you might be able to get away with it.

However, like many people. You think the bigger the number must be better. 3000rpm must be better than 2000rpm.......

6 hours ago, Deli said:

PWM sets the fan speed as percentage. Some mobo won't allow the fans to go slower than 40%. A 3000rpm fan at 40% is still too loud for most cases. The Noctua needs to be below 1000rpm to be quiet. If you have a 2000rpm version, you might be able to get away with it.

However, like many people. You think the bigger the number must be better. 3000rpm must be better than 2000rpm.......

not really they were the only version that were available in my country 

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard are you using and what settings did you try? 

What header are you powering the fan off of?

iPPC's are meant to be powered with 4pin pwm and the Sentry Mix 2 isn't the most appropriate for control.

Msi z270 gaming m7 and all them are plug in to a 4 pin header 

and 2 fans were plug in to the corsair aio cooler

34 minutes ago, ShwarzNoir said:

Msi z270 gaming m7 and all them are plug in to a 4 pin header 

and 2 fans were plug in to the corsair aio cooler

Which headers exactly? The cpu_fan and pump_fan1 headers are set to auto-detect the type of fan but the sys_fan headers are set to DC mode by default. If the fans are plugged into the sys_fan headers, you'll have to make sure that they're set to PWM mode.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which headers exactly? The cpu_fan and pump_fan1 headers are set to auto-detect the type of fan but the sys_fan headers are set to DC mode by default. If the fans are plugged into the sys_fan headers, you'll have to make sure that they're set to PWM mode.

aio and 2 fans were plug in to the pump_fan1  while the other 3 fans were plug in the system fan and yes they were all set on pwm mode   

10 hours ago, ShwarzNoir said:

aio and 2 fans were plug in to the pump_fan1  while the other 3 fans were plug in the system fan and yes they were all set on pwm mode   

How low did you set the rpm?

What version did you buy exactly? I know all of mine are decently quite but I have the 2k rpm versions. 40% is the lowest they can go on a header but I can go a bit lower with my hub but they start to clock a bit at 30%

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 4/30/2017 at 10:38 AM, Mick Naughty said:

What version did you buy exactly? I know all of mine are decently quite but I have the 2k rpm versions. 40% is the lowest they can go on a header but I can go a bit lower with my hub but they start to clock a bit at 30%

3000 rpm cause they were the only one they sell

On 4/30/2017 at 4:31 AM, WoodenMarker said:

How low did you set the rpm?

i cant say cause there plug in a fan controller which doesnt support monitoring

55 minutes ago, ShwarzNoir said:

i cant say cause there plug in a fan controller which doesnt support monitoring

As I explained earlier, you should be using the motherboard fan headers.

Or get a hub that supports control, real simple.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, ShwarzNoir said:

3000 rpm cause they were the only one they sell

They make more then one version.