Naming my planned build...

handymanshandle

names  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Name?

2. 2. Which build?

So I originally was going to go with Ursa. But I may or may not do a Ryzen build. 

Also if someone tries to spin this as an AMD vs Intel thing, you'd sadly be quite wrong. I could care less. If you do care, good for you but don't post it here. Especially considering that would be against the CS.

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($381.93 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($146.37 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($289.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB HS Triple X Video Card  (Purchased For $182.10) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $117.83) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $91.05) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.98 @ NCIX US) 
Keyboard: Logitech G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (Purchased For $100.38) 
Total: $1353.24 (not yet purchased)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-27 23:07 EDT-0400

Intel Build

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($146.37 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $136.48) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($289.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB HS Triple X Video Card  (Purchased For $182.10) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $117.83) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $91.05) 
Keyboard: Logitech G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (Purchased For $100.38) 
Total: $1036.23 (not yet purchased)

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-27 23:08 EDT-0400

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Name it Kaplan

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Holy shit prices are cheap in the US

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Just gaming?

a little bit of that a little bit this.

Or rather,  gaming and some content creation or well recording game play. 

21 minutes ago, wcreek said:

a little bit of that a little bit this.

Or rather,  gaming and some content creation or well recording game play. 

This isn't a very well-optimized configuration, I'm afraid. You've got a fairly weak GPU but extremely high-end CPUs on both builds, which makes it seem like the primary purpose of this build is content creation and productivity rather than gaming. If gaming is the primary focus, you'll do well to balance your budget better by getting a higher-end graphics card and sticking with a Ryzen 5 CPU instead, or one of Intel's i5 CPUs.

Just now, Aereldor said:

This isn't a very well-optimized configuration, I'm afraid. You've got a fairly weak GPU but extremely high-end CPUs on both builds, which makes it seem like the primary purpose of this build is content creation and productivity rather than gaming. If gaming is the primary focus, you'll do well to balance your budget better by getting a higher-end graphics card and sticking with a Ryzen 5 CPU instead, or one of Intel's i5 CPUs.

I probably should've stated, that it's a for now thing. And even up to the build date. It'll a be for now deal...

My plans were to get something from the Vega line up when it's more available. Because knowing how these launches go, usually it's tough to get the card for the first 2 to 3 months. So I plan on late August/Early September when I get a more appropriate GPU. Very well aware that RX 470 isn't the most suited for a set up like that.

Also like I said, some Gaming some content creation. Often both at the same time if that makes any sense.

The Intel build is cheaper for me for two reasons: I already have a Z170 board and I have a Windows key attached to that board. So that's over $200 that I'm missing for the Ryzen build. Frankly I don't care. I do need to fix the 90° 3.0 header, I bent a couple pins from my stupidity. I still have the 180° header but that doesn't look as nice.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I probably should've stated, that it's a for now thing. And even up to the build date. It'll a be for now deal...

My plans were to get something from the Vega line up when it's more available. Because knowing how these launches go, usually it's tough to get the card for the first 2 to 3 months. So I plan on late August/Early September when I get a more appropriate GPU. Very well aware that RX 470 isn't the most suited for a set up like that.

Also like I said, some Gaming some content creation. Often both at the same time if that makes any sense.

The Intel build is cheaper for me for two reasons: I already have a Z170 board and I have a Windows key attached to that board. So that's over $200 that I'm missing for the Ryzen build. Frankly I don't care. I do need to fix the 90° 3.0 header, I bent a couple pins from my stupidity. I still have the 180° header but that doesn't look as nice.

It's a good placeholder, but I don't recommend going that route. More on this below.

if you already have the Z170 board, have updated the BIOS, and are willing to delid, then get a 7700k instead. You don't NEED to delid it, but a delidded 7700k runs up to 25 degrees cooler. If the budget is the same, then you can allocate more towards a cooler.

However, I don't recommend waiting for Vega. It's highly probable that it'll be delayed, and its performance might be extremely underwhelming- basically on the level of a GTX 1080. Here's a breakdown from my favourite PC tech analyst. The WCCFTech article is inconclusive and I wouldn't base any decisions off that. I would wait till we know more about Vega to decide whether or not you should wait for it.

27 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It's a good placeholder, but I don't recommend going that route. More on this below.

if you already have the Z170 board, have updated the BIOS, and are willing to delid, then get a 7700k instead. You don't NEED to delid it, but a delidded 7700k runs up to 25 degrees cooler. If the budget is the same, then you can allocate more towards a cooler.

However, I don't recommend waiting for Vega. It's highly probable that it'll be delayed, and its performance might be extremely underwhelming- basically on the level of a GTX 1080. Here's a breakdown from my favourite PC tech analyst. The WCCFTech article is inconclusive and I wouldn't base any decisions off that. I would wait till we know more about Vega to decide whether or not you should wait for it.

lol but that's what I want is something on 1080 levels. Navi and Volta are set for 2018 I'd expect Navi to be faster than what Nvidia has right now. 

Again as far as it being delayed, I don't care the 470 seems to be great for 1080p mid-high settings which I mean would allow me to save up for like a 1440p 144Hz Freesync monitor even if Vega is delayed.

Which I think it'll be announced at Computex, and released probably later in June or sometime in July. Probably a similar timeline for Navi, will probably be announced at Computex 2018, release in late June or the month of July.

That's pretty much how Polaris was launched (plus numerous teasers and their event in Macau)