Nintendo announces the new *New* Nintendo 2DS XL game console (not a joke)

GoodBytes

...and here I just wanted them to bring back the $99 Super Mario 3DS. They sold out in minutes and still had the audacity to advertise them on TV.

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

They aren't cannibalizing anything. These products are serving different purposes. 

I'm just hoping that they include a charger for this one. Although, you can buy USB to 3DS/DS/GBAL charging cables for cheap.

The lack of a charger with the "new" 3DS models does annoy me a lot.  It ruins the ready to use out of the box convenience that so many other things have.  

Though thankfully as you mentioned the charger is cheap.  Like $10 USD I think.  

I already have a 3DS and a new 3DS XL but for some reason this "new" 2DS interests me.  ?

6 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

...and here I just wanted them to bring back the $99 Super Mario 3DS. They sold out in minutes and still had the audacity to advertise them on TV.

Yeah that pissed me off too.  I'd have loved a normal size new 3DS and for such a great price.  

But of course Nintendo had to step on everyone's hopes and make it so almost no one besides eBay scalpers got their hands on those things...  ?

4 hours ago, Alaradia said:

the 2ds could play ar and and take 3d photos and it also had 2 cameras it just couldn't view 3d photos 

Corrected. Thank you!

Nintendo Logic: Let's not restock the already hard to get SNES we just made that is in high demand. Let's take that away from the masses and let's bring what they really want to the light....wait for it...*waves hand to the sky*... 2DS XL!

Boss: You're a genius! Give this man double his wage!

Now honestly they will sell a few of these. I'm just compelled to believe Nintendo doesn't like money, or their Japanese HQ guys are are like "fck analysts" lets just do shit or way! Idk, let's see I guess.  

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

10 hours ago, LtRavens said:

Nintendo Logic: Let's not restock the already hard to get SNES we just made that is in high demand. Let's take that away from the masses and let's bring what they really want to the light....wait for it...*waves hand to the sky*... 2DS XL!

Boss: You're a genius! Give this man double his wage!

Now honestly they will sell a few of these. I'm just compelled to believe Nintendo doesn't like money, or their Japanese HQ guys are are like "fck analysts" lets just do shit or way! Idk, let's see I guess.  

The NES Mini, is a console that stores and Nintendo made virtually no money on. It was a console to sale the Switch.

Why do you think, mostly, only big retail stores had the NES Mini? And rarely available online,but always available in stores. Big stores got it as a product so that you come to the store, and maybe buy other things... like that TV one might have always wanted, or something else you had in mind and the NES Mini was the push/deal for you to come right now and buy all your stuff in mind as you are there already. And excellent that they had few of them, as it forced you to come multiple times to check if they have the system.

But in reality, the 60$ system, cost retail stores 56-58$. The money they make isn't sufficient to pay much of anything (building, electricity, staff, etc.). In fact, you also need to add shipping cost to get the product in stores.. Normally, no store would order it, unless the MSRP was higher to increase revenue to at least pay all this, to start with (but usually, you they life some level of profit, or seek that the product allows the sale of other high profits items, like accessories, extended warranties, etc.). As for Nintendo, the console cost a lot, and the MSRP is too low to have any profits. The unit has no additional game to sale to bring money. The hardware inside is around $30-35. Then you need to pay the software (OS menu screen and emulator), as well as, the case that the circuit board is into (good plastic, that feel sturdy, with the help of good modeling, and good molds, is actually not cheap), packaging and marketing. Then on top of that, you have the game licenses, and that is hard. If Capcom says, "Yea, that game that you want... even thought is it 50 years old, is worth 60$ per license. You want it, you have to pay 60 bucks!" Nintendo doesn't have a choice... or pick a different a game. So all in all, Nintendo doesn't make any money on the system, just a few dollars that is not worth anything.

The NES Mini was designed so bring to attention the Nintendo brand, as "Nintendo" branding, too a major step back with the WiiU.... people didn't say "Oh cool, you have the new Nintendo WiiU!!".. They said just: "WiiU" (assuming they even knew what it was). Notice how the Switch color scheme of its logo is Nintendo-Red + White, like the Nintendo logo, same as the box of the console, and how on the dock unit it says "Nintendo Switch" in big, and not to mention all Nintendo videos these days features those colors. It is pushing the brand. The NES Mini is bring to attention to people who aren't really gamers, don't follow the news much related to gaming or even tech. Goes to the store and sees this NES Mini, and goes "Oh yea! I remember playing this when I was kid.. Oh cool *only* 60 bucks, and has 30 cool games which many I remember. Yea I'll get it for me/my kid, and maybe wife might want to join in". And the console game are so innocent, and the price is low enough, that it is instant "Wife approved", as we say. Then they play, get into it, hear about the Switch, or even at the store they are in when they crossed the NES Mini. Maybe the kids playing might get into it, and look for more modern games, and hear about the Switch and push their parents to get it. It open many scenarios.

The NES Mini did its job. I won't be surprised if they'll do an SNES mini later on, as rumors suggest, to get another wave of people. I doubt there will be a N64-mini. So in short, stores decided to get it despite 0 profit, as a way to bring people to the stores, and Nintendo made it boost brand recognition helping push Switch sales.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

Srry my friend, just saw this wall of text give a minute to read through this. If it is some form of correction since what I said may have angered you, I apologize for my ignorance. Now I'll brb will I read this and get educated lol. :) 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I'm legitimelly impressed at how good it looks compared to the New 3DS, actually like this one more than the 3DS looks wise. Hell seems like it's even thinner o.O

Might get one as a companion to my 3DS and use it as a cfw NES/SNES/GB/GBA portable system.

Man would have really loved for this to be the New 3DS and the New 3DS to be the 2DS cause this one really looks amazing. Only needed a special monster hunter edition to make it better

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Yeah that pissed me off too.  I'd have loved a normal size new 3DS and for such a great price.  

But of course Nintendo had to step on everyone's hopes and make it so almost no one besides eBay scalpers got their hands on those things...  ?

I didn't think they were that hard to get. They certainly didn't make it easy, but I was able to get one and I wasn't stalking any websites. I was refreshing the 3ds deals subreddit every so often (a few times a day) and I noticed that there were some listed in stock at walmart (and iirc the post was at least an hour or two old).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-Snip.-

The thing that annoys me the most about the NES Mini is people are saying Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot for discontinuing it. Why? Atari's been selling their Flashbacks in some form or another and it hasn't done a thing to bring them back into prominence. Ditto with the Neo Geo X towards SNK.

Saying such things is just blind nostalgia clouding someone's judgment.

13 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

GameBoy micro came out after the DS we thought the same thing, i really hope switch gets a Pokemon game. the new 3ds xl struggles to run Pokemon at 30 fps. 

Don't run it in 3D and all goes well.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

It runs very well at 30Hz as well unless you're in a swarm.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

3D feature is really dumb in my opinion, it's poorly done and gives me a headache every time i use it. 

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It runs very well at 30Hz as well unless you're in a swarm.

double battles can be a horrible experience. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

3D feature is really dumb in my opinion, it's poorly done and gives me a headache every time i use it. 

It's indeed a waste of time. Doesn't give me a headache but I never understood why they bothered with it in the first place.

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

It's indeed a waste of time. Doesn't give me a headache but I never understood why they bothered with it in the first place.

2DS can actually run 3DS games with no frame drops. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

2DS can actually run 3DS games with no frame drops. 

Yep, they are basically the same. The *new* 3DS is actually underclocked to a 3DS unless the game supports it. 

Pascal laptops guide

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I didn't think they were that hard to get. They certainly didn't make it easy, but I was able to get one and I wasn't stalking any websites. I was refreshing the 3ds deals subreddit every so often (a few times a day) and I noticed that there were some listed in stock at walmart (and iirc the post was at least an hour or two old).

Hard for me it seemed.

Btw, I would avoid Walmart for limited edition things.  When The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was released I had ordered a copy of the limited/special edition (the $99 one) for my friend since Walmart's site had it listed and available to order.  I assume like what you're referring to with this 3DS.  

However a day or two later they canceled my order and based on what I was told from calling their customer service number my order was canceled because they allowed too many orders to be placed for it.  That despite the site showing it as available to order they had not in fact had any left to sell.

Thankfully I managed to find a copy at a Walmart store near my house.  

I hope my point is made though: do not trust Walmart for ordering limited edition and hard to find items.  They cannot be trusted to fulfill the order and just because their site lets you place an order does not mean they actually have any left in stock.  

59 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The thing that annoys me the most about the NES Mini is people are saying Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot for discontinuing it. Why? Atari's been selling their Flashbacks in some form or another and it hasn't done a thing to bring them back into prominence. Ditto with the Neo Geo X towards SNK.

Saying such things is just blind nostalgia clouding someone's judgment.

Nintendo is shooting themselves though by discontinuing it.  Not in the sense that I suspect is being implied here but because if it's very popular and lots of people want it then Nintendo is missing out on profiting from the high demand for one of their products.

Basically: if people want to buy something then a smart business would make and sell it to them.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Nintendo is shooting themselves though by discontinuing it.  Not in the sense that I suspect is being implied here but because if it's very popular and lots of people want it then Nintendo is missing out on profiting from the high demand for one of their products.

Basically: if people want to buy something then a smart business would make and sell it to them.  

Someone already mentioned that the profit margins on the NES classic are likely slim. i.e., it's not really sustainable. Just because your $1.00 burger is popular doesn't mean it makes sense to continue it if it costs $0.95 to make it after all other expenses were taken into account while you have a $2.00 burger that costs the same to make.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I hope my point is made though: do not trust Walmart for ordering limited edition and hard to find items.  They cannot be trusted to fulfill the order and just because their site lets you place an order does not mean they actually have any left in stock.  

I never shop at Walmart -- the 3DS was the first and only thing I've ever bought there. 

The only reason I bought it from Walmart was because it was the only place I saw it in stock. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

13 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I actually prefer the look (well the look that the player has anyway -- nothing else).

I honestly wish the 3DS came without 3D but in an a magnesium body -- or at least didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk. 

I would love a magnesium 3DS, or carbon fibre. I'd keep the 3D though, I rarely use it, but a few games use it well.

Interesting dropping the 2DS tablet-sque form factor and going clam shell, any news on if they are dropping the old 2DS? Because that was so cheap they practically gave them away, combined with the super cheap red boxed Nintendo Select titles, that is some great value gaming.

I'm relieved to see Nintendo keeping faith with the 2DS/3DS line and not just killing it off in favour of the Switch. The Switch may well be great (I don't have one yet so can't judge it properly) but it is a lot more expensive than the 2/3DS, the games are 50% more expensive too, and less portable especially considering it will need a case to to protect the screen which the clamshell 3DS doesn't. The expense and size of the Switch are why that if I was going out walking I wouldn't stick it in my pocket, why I wouldn't chuck it in the door pocket of my car, why I wouldn't use it on public transport, and why for me the 3DS still has a distinct niche that the Switch can't fill.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Don't high level Pokemon players turn off animations anyway for the sake of speeding things up?

I'm barely a casual pokemon player and turn off animations. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

I cant even stand to see content in "3D" on my 3DS XL 1st generation, it simply hurts my eyesight when trying to see a blurry mess that isnt even properly distinguishable, minimum or maximum level of the slider. I dont understand why i cannot see content in 3D and how or if a different method of 3D viewing would affect my head and eyes, but i suppose some can and others cannot simply cope with it. If a 2DS XL existed back then and i was able to open it and close it, it would have been a snap for me to buy it.

Groomlake Authority

26 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Someone already mentioned that the profit margins on the NES classic are likely slim. i.e., it's not really sustainable. Just because your $1.00 burger is popular doesn't mean it makes sense to continue it if it costs $0.95 to make it after all other expenses were taken into account while you have a $2.00 burger that costs the same to make.

Then they could charge a bit more for a fair profit margin.  Within reason of course. Not too high.  

25 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I never shop at Walmart -- the 3DS was the first and only thing I've ever bought there. 

The only reason I bought it from Walmart was because it was the only place I saw it in stock. 

I don't like their business practices but unfortunately they're the cheapest place to get a few things.  Thankfully very few things.

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Also supplement to my other post. The NES Classic was riding on the coattails of nostalgia. At some point sales are going to drop hard once the target market (the Gen X crowd) is saturated.

That would be when to stop making it not before when people still want it.  

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I cant even stand to see content in "3D" on my 3DS XL 1st generation, it simply hurts my eyesight when trying to see a blurry mess that isnt even properly distinguishable, minimum or maximum level of the slider. I dont understand why i cannot see content in 3D and how or if a different method of 3D viewing would affect my head and eyes, but i suppose some can and others cannot simply cope with it. If a 2DS XL existed back then and i was able to open it and close it, it would have been a snap for me to buy it.

I leave 3D off.  At least on the original 3DS it didn't seem to work well for me and I've never tried it on my New 3DS.  

I mostly just don't care for 3D and I'd rather not waste battery life using it.