Is there a 10gbe ethernet to spf+

Turtleinahafshel
Go to solution Solved by brandishwar,

There is a 10GbE RJ45 SFP+ transceiver, but it's ungodly expensive right now -- typically retailing for around 600 USD. They can handle about 30m max length from what I've found. And RJ45 to SFP+ converters are of similar price, but likely don't have the length restriction.

It's much less expensive just buying another 10GbE SFP+ card and just connecting the two together that way, especially since the cards can be bought (used) for under 20 USD each. Sure it's a waste of the 10GbE RJ45 port you already have (I'm assuming it's on the mainboard). If you need more than 10m of length, then use optical fiber and 10GBase-SR transceivers.

I have a 10gbe and a spf+ 10 gigabit card and want to connect them is there a adapter or cable for this 

8 hours ago, Turtleinahafshel said:

I have a 10gbe and a spf+ 10 gigabit card and want to connect them is there a adapter or cable for this 

Basically no, sfp+ can't provide enough power. I have looked for myself and there is nothing.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 hours ago, Niksa said:

http://datainterfaces.com/copper-SFP.aspx

juse use that (or similar) instead of optics SFP+ transceiver 

Those are only 1Gb, not 10Gb. There are no copper 10Gb SFPs that I know of, unless you get direct attach cables.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

it sucks, i got a server board a while ago with 2 10Gbe, but a switch with 10Gbe generally cost more then one with SFP+. so I am kinda forced to get a switch with 2+ 10Gbe and 2 SFP+ ports for it to work with my plans. (expecting to pay $400-$600)

1 hour ago, Mornincupofhate said:

There's converter boxes you can buy on the internet that cost a lot less than an sfp switch.

can you link one?

There is a 10GbE RJ45 SFP+ transceiver, but it's ungodly expensive right now -- typically retailing for around 600 USD. They can handle about 30m max length from what I've found. And RJ45 to SFP+ converters are of similar price, but likely don't have the length restriction.

It's much less expensive just buying another 10GbE SFP+ card and just connecting the two together that way, especially since the cards can be bought (used) for under 20 USD each. Sure it's a waste of the 10GbE RJ45 port you already have (I'm assuming it's on the mainboard). If you need more than 10m of length, then use optical fiber and 10GBase-SR transceivers.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

6 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

can you link one?

lol nevermind. Those are SFP not SFP+. Just take out the SFP+ module in your server and replace with a regular ethernet adapter?

9 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

lol nevermind. Those are SFP not SFP+. Just take out the SFP+ module in your server and replace with a regular ethernet adapter?

it is a ITX 1U server with 2 10Gbe on the MOBO, and the 1 PCIe is used for a SAS card, so ya poor planning. I will make my other machines SFP+ cards.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:15 PM, The Benjamins said:

it is a ITX 1U server with 2 10Gbe on the MOBO, and the 1 PCIe is used for a SAS card, so ya poor planning. I will make my other machines SFP+ cards.

Where'd you buy it and what do you use it for? Just curious.

thats a cool looking setup. maybe eventually you can look at something like an 8 port 10gbE switch from netgear when they start dropping in price. unfortunately its all very expensive at the moment for 10gbE copper ethernet.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA