iPhone 8 may miss one key feature already in the Galaxy S8 -- Gigabit LTE

captain_to_fire

Does your wireless carrier has started rolling out gigabit LTE?   

120 members have voted

1. 1. Does your wireless carrier has started rolling out gigabit LTE?

2. 2. What is the fastest 4G LTE speed you've seen in your own phone or tablet?

• <10 mbps (indicate below)
    • 11-20 mbps
    • 21-30 mbps
    • 31-40 mbps
    • 41-50 mbps
    • >50 mbps (indicate below, better with a screenshot from Speedtest)

58 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I would care if I thought Verizon would support Gigabit 4g anytime soon, but as of now, even in the heart of NYC I get <40mbps. 

My bigger concern with the iPhone 8 is that touch ID will be on the back, or worse, completely absent (although I can't imagine Apple would just remove touchID because that would create such a mess). 

Ive got Verizon 4g lte AP littered throughout manhattan. The fastest one gets about 30mbps. Everywhere else is closer to 17

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

iirc its 1700, 1900, 2100 and 2700mhz for rogers. 

dont have 700mhz here, isn't that 2g/3g territory? 

Not really. Low band spectrum has its advantages like wider coverage and better in-building penetration. It's up to the wireless carrier to repurpose their existing spectrum and transition it to LTE. The problem of course with just low band frequency is that they carry less data and is more prone to congestion. And of course there's regulatory bodies who auctions wireless spectrum to carriers. 

Frequencies beyond 1 GHz has the advantage of carrying more data but at the expense of poor building penetration and smaller coverage. Our carriers in the Philippines use 1800 MHz (Globe) and 2100 MHz (Smart) but just last year, they bought the unused 700 MHz spectrum. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Not really. Low band spectrum has its advantages like wider coverage and better in-building penetration. It's up to the wireless carrier to repurpose their existing spectrum and transition it to LTE. The problem of course with just low band frequency is that they carry less data and is more prone to congestion. And of course there's regulatory bodies who auctions wireless spectrum to carriers. 

Frequencies beyond 1 GHz has the advantage of carrying more data but at the expense of poor building penetration and smaller coverage. Our carriers in the Philippines use 1800 MHz (Globe) and 2100 MHz (Smart) but just last year, they bought the unused 700 MHz spectrum. 

by 2g/3g i mean existing technologies here use that band already so..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't think Apple is dumb enough to get rid of their Touch ID in their iPhones. Apple was the first to properly implement biometric authentication in phones thanks to their acquisition of AuthenTec back in 2012. The rumor has it that Touch ID will be moved to the back because their supply manufacturer is having trouble mass producing the Touch ID embedded to the cover glass at the front of the phone. 

There are also a few rumors around that they just drop it entirely (because frankly, rear touchID sucks) -- those rumors, I assume would require some replacement to TouchID (like facial recognition), but I can't think of any good ones that could replace a TouchID. I'm also going to be really sad if they can't manage to embed TouchID into the display as that's something I've really wanted since iOS 10 was first leaked.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Did the 4G phone you bought back in 2011 supported Verizon's 700 MHz LTE band? 

It doesn't look like it did -- just 800 and 1900mhz. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There are also a few rumors around that they just drop it entirely (because frankly, rear touchID sucks) -- those rumors, I assume would require some replacement to TouchID (like facial recognition), but I can't think of any good ones that could replace a TouchID. I'm also going to be really sad if they can't manage to embed TouchID into the display as that's something I've really wanted since iOS 10 was first leaked.

I'm positive that Apple won't pull a Microsoft stunt where they'll acquire something and toss it to trash later on. But yes I would like for the Touch ID sensor to remain on the front. Facial recognition can be easily defeated with a selfie unless it's a 3D sensing camera like what Microsoft used in their Surface PCs for Windows Hello authentication. If they can't really make the Touch ID at front, the back side is probably where they'll put it. ?

Telstra 4GX

jz1p9Qy.jpg

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:

Telstra 4GX

Damn!

2 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Telstra 4GX

all that speed and fuck all data to use with. Such is telstra life

I don't have a data plan... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Telstra 4GX

Damn son

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Get mainly 35-45mbps on 4G on 02 but I've been at the NEC and gotten 70-80mbps and that was like 2 years ago. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

eyeroll

Carriers in the US struggle to even get any coverage in a shitton of areas.  I've been on Verizon, ATT, and Tmobile in the last 5 years and none of them are good everywhere.  I give zero fucks about "gigabit" LTE and would rather have consistent 50Mbps everywhere.

And who are they kidding by the time gigabit LTE gets any meanifgul rollout it's going to be probably the iPhone 9s. @tmobile no one gives a fuck that you'll be the first to do it with 1 tower in butt-fuck-nowhere, USA.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, xewp said:

all that speed and fuck all data to use with. Such is telstra life

Mmm - only 12GB :(

I get around 70-80 max when outside in good conditions. Inside speeds are more around 40-50 range.

I'm in Belgium.

Q0owScL.png

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

i don't have mobile data, and i have no need for it either. public transport always has free wifi, so does every place i visit.

The S8 has a headphone jack so it's already significantly superior as far as I'm concerned.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

phone companies so busy pushing things that they forgot to ask themselves "are they even gonna use or need it?"

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I was under the impression that Intel was sampling it's latest 14 nm gigabit LTE modem and was about to start mass production. Of course that doesn't mean it'd be ready for the volume Apple needs. However it being ready next year seems off.

Everyone getting gigabit LTE modems should increase overall capacity in the network and therefore improve average speeds tremendously even if they won't see actual gigabit speeds.

The newer modems are more efficient and can reduce the time spend hogging capacity on the network, so don't scoff at.

I've personally seen around 80 megabit maximum but average a fair bit below though.

It looks to me that some countries rely so much on LTE for high speed internet that companies are willing to spend the money to improve and expand. Whereas here cable (and fiber somewhat) is widely available, so getting gigabit speeds isn't on the table.

21 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Gigabit LTE: Eat through your data plan in 8 seconds.

Who knows? Maybe when Gigabit LTE became ubiquitous we'll see 50 GB data plans for $50 and unlimited data* plans will include 500GB high speed LTE and 250 GB of mobile hotspot up to 10 devices.

5903141bd01a2_giphy(1).gif.d2bde0e2f9432c74270d891c739fab20.gif

Probably not... It might just all be wishful thinking given how greedy wireless carriers.

9 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

'scuse me? 

Whoops, forgot how to say that I suspect its the same thing...

Anyway, I like my 3(.5)G HSPDA+ speeds, 33/3mbps fastest and about 10-20/2-3mbps usually. Its actually better than 4G as better coverage, better battery life and has faster down speeds than many other 4G networks (including its own 4G network) so... :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

42 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Anyway, I like my 3(.5)G HSPDA+ speeds, 33/3mbps fastest and about 10-20/2-3mbps usually. Its actually better than 4G as better coverage, better battery life and has faster down speeds than many other 4G networks (including its own 4G network) so... :P 

It's a fair expectation for modern smartphones these days to have faster data speeds. But in reality, 3G is perfectly usable in a lot of situations and HSPA+42 can actually theoretically be as fast as LTE but HSPA+ can't take advantage of spectrum aggregation, 4x4 MIMO and beamforming. 

Also with the battery life thing. I don't think there's a difference with power consumption between 3G and LTE and here's why. Back in 2009 when carriers are just getting started in deploying 4G LTE, 4G phones must have two separate modems for CDMA/GSM and LTE and that can take a toll in the battery life. 4G smartphones nowadays have all radios (GSM/CDMA + LTE) in a single modem which consumes less power plus much more power efficient SoCs on phones. 

Gigabit is not needed for phones and is really only needed for businesses that rely on 5G. I like that its available on my S8+ but when we do get gigabit in the US I will not notice. This really isnt a make or break thing.

I'm all for insane network speeds but unless you are using it as a home connection how are you going to use more than 50mbps.

I use like 60GB a month on my mobile so I'm not stranger to using a mobile connection.

12 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Everyone getting gigabit LTE modems should increase overall capacity in the network and therefore improve average speeds tremendously even if they won't see actual gigabit speeds.

They probably need to invest in more fiber optic cables and more equipment for the towers that allows carrier aggregation and beamforming.