Plex & AMD Ryzen 1800x and FPS issues

just like the title says and ive asked a few times but now i know its definitely plex causing my low FPS. i am running a AMD Ryzen 1800x 32gb DDR4 Trident Z im running most current bios 1.50 i run plex all the time and i use to run it on a i7 3770 ivy bridge 4 cores and it would game and transcode no issues but ive been having problems with gaming and running plex media server at the same time. if i shut down plex media server i get 60 fps no problem. the second i turn it back on its 8fps-30fps and just jumps around up and down.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

full spec? 

AMD Ryzen 1800x

32 GB DDR 4 Trident Z

MSI X370 Gaming Titanium

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB

1500W 80 plus gold PSU

Bios Version 1.50

I have a SSD for the OS and i have my games on a SSD.

2 minutes ago, HUSKER222 said:

AMD Ryzen 1800x

32 GB DDR 4 Trident Z

MSI X370 Gaming Titanium

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB

1500W 80 plus gold PSU

Bios Version 1.50

I have a SSD for the OS and i have my games on a SSD.

fresh install? 

32 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

fresh install? 

yes it is... something else ive noticed.. when in game it gets stuck at 2.2 ghz

Desktop 04.27.2017 - 20.18.06.02.png

Desktop 04.27.2017 - 20.18.10.03.png

Desktop 04.27.2017 - 20.18.14.04.png

Just now, HUSKER222 said:

yes it is... something else ive noticed.. when in game it gets stuck at 2.2 ghz

Desktop 04.27.2017 - 20.18.06.02.png

Desktop 04.27.2017 - 20.18.10.03.png

Desktop 04.27.2017 - 20.18.14.04.png

found your problem, reset cmos 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

found your problem, reset cmos 

how do i do that? dumb question there is a reset cmos button i think on the back should i just press that? press it while windows is running? never "reset cmos" before

Just now, HUSKER222 said:

how do i do that? dumb question there is a reset cmos button i think on the back should i just press that? press it while windows is running? never "reset cmos" before

take out the coin size mobo battery 

CMOS_Battery.jpg

ok what it gonna do? i wont lose anything on my hard drives will i?

also i have a "reset cmos" button on the back of the PC should i press that?

9 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

take out the coin size mobo battery 

CMOS_Battery.jpg

ok reset it and when i turned the computer on it asked me to reset to default values so i did that and back in windows. now what should resetting the cmos of done?

13 minutes ago, HUSKER222 said:

ok reset it and when i turned the computer on it asked me to reset to default values so i did that and back in windows. now what should resetting the cmos of done?

yup

beside that your CPU doesnt seem to clock up all the way the problem with plex is very obvious, you can even see in the processes that the transcoder is working on something.

disable transcoding or let it run till it is finished transcoding whatever you told it to transcode.

Or You can put your CPU at a persistent clock speed.  I own a 1700X and Have it clocked at 3.6 instead of clocking up and down constantly.

On 4/28/2017 at 7:51 AM, Ramaddil said:

Or You can put your CPU at a persistent clock speed.  I own a 1700X and Have it clocked at 3.6 instead of clocking up and down constantly.

how do i set that?

On 4/28/2017 at 2:50 AM, Pixel5 said:

beside that your CPU doesnt seem to clock up all the way the problem with plex is very obvious, you can even see in the processes that the transcoder is working on something.

disable transcoding or let it run till it is finished transcoding whatever you told it to transcode.

Yeah but i call BS on that. It should be able to spread the load no proble evenly over 8 cores and 16 threads. I've had several transcoding operations going remotely on an i7 3770 ivy bridge and the thing not even blink. So i think Ryzen 1800x should be able to do it. Along with its ridiculously long boot times i mean over a minute to boot. But maybe the clock speeds going up and down could be the issue.

7 hours ago, HUSKER222 said:

how do i set that?

In the Bios/UEFI, you can set the multiplier to the speed you want, if you dont know how to do this you can follow the guide below.  I set the multiplier and disabled the power saving features in the Bios as well. Once you do that the CPU shouldn't throttle up and down. 

On 28/04/2017 at 6:50 PM, Pixel5 said:

that doesn't make sense....you cannot simply *wait* for transcoding to finish. Transcoding IS on the fly re-encoding to a playable format.

Disabling it defeats half of the reason for using Plex in the first place.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Is anyone else baffled as to why the old i7 3770K isn't being used as a dedicated PLEX server and the Ryzen machine as a dedicated gaming machine, or is it just me?

On 4/30/2017 at 9:13 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Is anyone else baffled as to why the old i7 3770K isn't being used as a dedicated PLEX server and the Ryzen machine as a dedicated gaming machine, or is it just me?

yeah, i feel like you've said that before. Look, the i7 that i had running plex i gave to my cousin and i figured i'd upgrade. I wanted to try Ryzens new processor. Are you over being baffled? I mean the reason why i'm not using the i7 really isnt of any concern as im not asking questions about my i7. I may be comparing the two as Ryzen is suppose to be comparable to i7's newest board supposed to being the key word. So @AshleyAshes with all due respect I appreciate you posting and if you have an idea as to why i'm having some FPS issues then please enlighten me. otherwise I dont understand why you're commenting as you've made it very clear about i should use my 3770 for plex and i5 blah blah blah on some other posts i had and i get it. thank you :-) 

Oh and the Ryzen as a dedicated gaming machine. I use it for gaming as a secondary machine. because 1. its not even able to play games very well with the fps issues im having and 2. I have an i7 6700 4 ghz skylake i use primarily for my games. Sometimes the wife takes it over to watch movies because i have a big curve screen on it, is what it is. so i use my plex server which is set up to do gaming as well as the components should run plex without an issue. 8 cores 16 threads and all with a ton of ram. so im thinking it should be able to it all at the same time seeing as how a lower end machine could do it at the same time. So, advice on that would be great.  @AshleyAshes im baffled i even had to explain my personal reasons for what i built. If i wanted to hear someone tell me how baffled they are i'd post on facebook.

On 30.4.2017 at 11:26 PM, Jarsky said:

that doesn't make sense....you cannot simply *wait* for transcoding to finish. Transcoding IS on the fly re-encoding to a playable format.

Disabling it defeats half of the reason for using Plex in the first place.

that depends, the fact that he has a transcoding job running even when hes not watching anything means there is something going on and it would be nothing new to keep some preencoded stuff around for things you cant transcode on the fly like 4k footage or weird codecs.

38 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

that depends, the fact that he has a transcoding job running even when hes not watching anything means there is something going on and it would be nothing new to keep some preencoded stuff around for things you cant transcode on the fly like 4k footage or weird codecs.

well if its transcoding obviously there's a stream going on? Whether its in another room or its remote there is usually several streams going on. I'm sorry i guess i thought when I said when a transcoding job starts that something streaming was implied. Also, I'm not streaming 4k. Look it's not my network. My thing is this. Ryzen is new im really looking for advice on how to tweak it because i should be able to run several transcoding jobs without a problem and be able to game without an issue. When I said i have on an i7 3770 ivy bridge i was trying to say if that one can do it with 4 cores and a lower end components then i feel this one should as well. I know Ryzen is buggy and its probably a matter of me waiting for more updates. Also, turning off transcoding would be silly especially if there are several different types of devices most of them wont direct play. depends on the file type.

1 hour ago, HUSKER222 said:

well if its transcoding obviously there's a stream going on?

Plex doesn't only transcode while something is streaming.  It looks like the background transcoder is running on OP's system.  It runs as a low-priority process, but it is not aware of anything else running on the system.

No idea why the 1800X is staying clocked down to the low power state while the background transcodes are running though.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

1 hour ago, Phate.exe said:

Plex doesn't only transcode while something is streaming.  It looks like the background transcoder is running on OP's system.  It runs as a low-priority process, but it is not aware of anything else running on the system.

No idea why the 1800X is staying clocked down to the low power state while the background transcodes are running though.

Ok, is it not suppose to run in the background then? it does that when I have a game running sometimes as well stays clocked down. i was thinking maybe just needs more bios updates. im on the newest one 1.5.

29 minutes ago, HUSKER222 said:

Ok, is it not suppose to run in the background then? it does that when I have a game running sometimes as well stays clocked down. i was thinking maybe just needs more bios updates. im on the newest one 1.5.

I'm not 100% on what the background transcodes are actually doing, but I think they're converting any of your files that are less compatible with common players to a different format.  I remember my plex box had to run for a while when I first added my whole library to it.  If you only just recently added your plex library to your new machine, try leaving it on overnight to see if it still has the background transcoder running.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

yeah its new but i have had it for about a month now maybe whenever i joined this forum is how long i have had the ryzen for but i have 12 TB of files so maybe that is what it is. interesting i didnt think of that.

@Phate.exe