Corsair Air 740 vs 780T

rudolf

Hey,

After reviewing a lot of different cases that are nice (e.g nxzt n450 or phanteks evo etc.) I stick between Corsair 740 and 780T in terms of cooling. I want to save the place by removing the driver cages for 5.25 that nobody should need in todays time anymore. Instead that space you should install better cooling.

Can you recommend me what would be the better choice. Can anyone compare and give a recommendation?

I guess the 780T is more worse for cooling because its bigger. 740 is made for cooling and you can install additional cooler that you cant with 780T. But someone a cube is not so much nice in look and feel than something like 780T.

What is your opinion? 

What parts are you putting in there? 780T is a much older case and therefore suffers from lack of features such as PSU hiding but is also huge.

Air 740 is my pick

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, Shiv78 said:

What parts are you putting in there? 780T is a much older case and therefore suffers from lack of features such as PSU hiding but is also huge.

Air 740 is my pick

Good to know that its old. How to get the historical order of cases? At the original page its not possible to sort by creation date. I guess the most recent is the most best in general (because of continues improving). 

I have something in this direction:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.34 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($121.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($246.98 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.25 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.25 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair Air 740 ATX Full Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1917.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-27 19:40 EDT-0400

9 minutes ago, rudolf said:

How to get the historical order of cases?

Just google "case name" release date and look for articles about the release of a new case

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

They're both unnecessarily large for the components you're using. Why are you looking at these cases in particular? What are you looking for in a case?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Why are they large? 740 is for max atx. I have an atx mainboard. In the future maybe I add more 3.5 storages. But basically this its, what can you add more into a computer?

In the past I have suffered with loud fans and bad cooling so that I want to eliminate this issue for long time. Also overcloacking can be a subject in the future. I would like to use a case with the best airflow possible. What I dont like in current cases in general are the driver bays. Nobody need them. They are legancy (at least for me). If you need data you can use a usb stick. You have already sticks with 16GB. Nobody need CD-Roms and all that stuff anymore. So if I do the effort to build a computer, why should I buy a case that waste important space with such things? Also it makes cooling more difficult, because it slow down the airflow.

Why 740 in particular? I have seen reviews about a lot of cases, many of them are good, but most of them use driver bays, expect good marks like nxzt and phanteks do not. 740 looks the best because it provides more space for fans, that mean better cooling. These are the main reasons, no driver bays (special design for it) and more space for cooling, means more fans and less noises.

SLI and second GPU I would never buy and use. I dont think its the money worth.

Performance and Silence are for me the main issues. 

I would appriciate if you give me some advises if you have, also in the selection of my components. Its my first computer build from the ground up basically

54 minutes ago, rudolf said:

In the past I have suffered with loud fans and bad cooling so that I want to eliminate this issue for long time. Also overcloacking can be a subject in the future. I would like to use a case with the best airflow possible. What I dont like in current cases in general are the driver bays. Nobody need them. They are legancy (at least for me). If you need data you can use a usb stick. You have already sticks with 16GB. Nobody need CD-Roms and all that stuff anymore. So if I do the effort to build a computer, why should I buy a case that waste important space with such things? Also it makes cooling more difficult, because it slow down the airflow.

Sounds like a N450, H440, or a Phanteks Enthoo Pro or Enthoo Evolv is a much better solution for you tbh

also they have 256GB+ USB sticks lol

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

Can you give also some arguments why they should be better? :D

I guess n450 is newer than h440, right? So if nxzt then the most recent is n450 I guess, I would chose.

Phanteks is also not bad, it would be my second choices after corsair.

30 minutes ago, rudolf said:

I guess n450 is newer than h440, right? So if nxzt then the most recent is n450 I guess, I would chose.

n450 is a h440 with different panels and LED underlighting. Chassis is same.

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

2 hours ago, rudolf said:

Why are they large? 740 is for max atx. I have an atx mainboard. In the future maybe I add more 3.5 storages. But basically this its, what can you add more into a computer?

In the past I have suffered with loud fans and bad cooling so that I want to eliminate this issue for long time. Also overcloacking can be a subject in the future. I would like to use a case with the best airflow possible.

Why 740 in particular? I have seen reviews about a lot of cases, many of them are good, but most of them use driver bays, expect good marks like nxzt and phanteks do not. 740 looks the best because it provides more space for fans, that mean better cooling. These are the main reasons, no driver bays (special design for it) and more space for cooling, means more fans and less noises.

SLI and second GPU I would never buy and use. I dont think its the money worth.

A case doesn't stop being large just because it supports matx and atx. The 900D for example is a case that supports the same form factors but is vastly larger than other cases that support the same form factor. The Air 740 isn't as large as the 900D but it's still a full tower and larger than most mid towers. The 780T on the other hand is much larger than necessary and doesn't provide much better fan mount options.

For a single graphics cards and cpu, 2-3 case fans for intake/exhaust should already be plenty and most mid towers are perfectly adequate for this. A 120/140mm rear exhaust and the 280mm AIO for front intake would be enough.

If you're looking for a compact case, the S340, 400C, or Define C do a better job that the Air 740 albeit with less cooling options.

I suggest seeing how the stock fans perform before deciding on whether or not to buy new ones if you do go with the Air 740.

1 hour ago, rudolf said:

Can you give also some arguments why they should be better? :D

Recent doesn't mean better. Newer cases are often just different as opposed to just being better. The N450 and H440 share the same frame with different plastic designs for the front and top. The main difference is that the N450 is less restrictive due to the mesh.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.