Shaw - Internet WAS down across Canada (1 to 2 hours)

yathis

It took them an hour or so to get back up and running.

I thought it was my end, so I kept on trying to figure it out for a half an hour or so. I was in the middle of an online game when it clonked out. The only reason I clued in was when I called their 1800 number I kept getting busy signals.

Is this common for carriers to plonk out?

Thinking about changing carriers now, the current modem is old, like 15 years old. I have called them up in the past and no love on an upgrade. Just switch theirs over to non-wifi and I use my own router now.

Its odd because I find with Shaw, every now and then, I get no internet, every 5 months it glitches, then mysteryisly I get internet.

It made the news

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/04/27/shaw-internet-cable-down_n_16298742.html

The telecom company posted to their website shortly before 4 p.m. ET Thursday, apologizing for the outage.

"Some customers nationally may be experiencing an interruption to Internet, Television and Home Phone services. We are investigating the situation and working to restore service as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

At 4:20 ET they issued an update, saying they don't know when services will be restored.

"Our network technicians are working to restore services as quickly as possible. Currently no ETA. If we get any further information to share we will post another update. Thank you for your patience so far." People are not impressed, to say the least, with many tweeting their displeasure at having their workday interrupted.

^^^The last line

tweeting their displeasure at having their workday interrupted

Tweeting via internet on mobile

What a sad sad sad sad day.

I was just going to go out and watch a movie or hit the bar, or grab a donair.

http://cfjctoday.com/article/522999/shaw-internet-services-down

http://www.250news.com/2016/04/26/shaw-internet-outage-impacts-p-g/

Oooohhhhhhhhhh NNNooooooooooo 2 hours without internet, what the fuck you gunna do LMFAO

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/shaw-suffers-two-hour-internet-outage-on-south-island-1.2127827

The main areas affected were Vancouver Island from Nanaimo south, and the Lower Mainland, with people unable to connect to the Internet.

Yeeaahh its a little more then those locales

At least your phone was up and running. My landline is connected to the modem. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Rogers die at least once every 2-3 month and bell doesnt even work alot of the times when raining. 

And you think shaw is bad?

For everything to go out for everyone? No, it isn't common, or at least shouldn't be. My ISP to my knowledge has had 1 major problem in the 14 years I have used them, where there was some form of problem with DNS and nothing would work for a few hours, unless you used Googles DNS for example, in which case it still worked fine. I used to occasionally get resets on the line, but it would be back up straight away, and I think that was my crappy modem/router at the time as it hasn't done it since I upgraded that. Only other times it will go down is when they are upgrading things and they have to change some things in the exchange really.

For whole country and that long shouldn't be possible. Even in this little country which is maybe half of most Canadian provinces, ISPs have zones. One city or whole zone can go down, but I don't remember any operator having whole country wide cutoff. There have been few slowdowns which have been country wide.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv