Is It A Horrible Idea to Gold Plate My Heat Sink?

I'm putting together my new computer and I'd like to go with a super cheesy black and gold theme. The case frame and a few other bits (video card cover, motherboard shield thingy, etc) are going to hopefully be spray-chromed gold but I'm hesitant to do the same with the air cooler heat sink (an NH-D15S) because this particular spray-chrome process (there are a few) essentially involves some layers of paint. I know most people are going to say that getting the cooler itself gold-electroplated sounds ridiculous and is probably not a GOOD idea; I'm not going to dispute that. I just want to know if anyone thinks it's a horrible idea; are there better, safer alternatives? Gold has pretty decent thermal conduction, but would the electroplating process itself cause any unwanted thermal insulating factors? Additional thoughts?

Umm, just do it?

Performance might decrease but honestly it can't be that bad. If you aren't planning to do a sick OC it likely won't matter :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Only paint the top of the heatsink, not the entire thing? The rest is barely visible anyways, especially with the fans on.

Will you can do it but,,,

it will sightly affect performance

D:

If you have access to the right equipment and don't care of the cost, it is your choice, performance difference will be negligible.

If you can only see the top fin of the cooler, you might be able to get away with spray painting the top plate. Just use a few pieces of paper slid between the top fins to protect the rest of the cooler while painting.

will see you dropping maybe 10c or so in cooling, NCIX has a video about it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

just buy a cooler with a copper heatsink and pretend it is gold (just kidding)

Although a FULL copper heatsink would be really neat too indeed in a black and gold themed rig

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You should go for it.  But are you talking about gold plating with real gold, or gold colored spray paint?  Paint will affect thermals, gold will not.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Also, depending how thorough the spray process is, it might not fully coat the inner parts of the heatsink - thus thermals will be unaffected in those parts.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Have you considered anodizing them gold? If anything that'll improve your thermals.

Edit: I'm stupid, they're nickel plated.

Edit 2: Wait, the Nickel plating is there to prevent an oxide layer from forming (and for looks) despite relatively poor thermal properties; gold would theoretically be better in this application. Wonder if you could etch the nickel off then plate in gold for a thermal upgrade.

I might be stupid, but gold has good thermal properties? They use it in space "alot", and some car engine bays were gold coated because of them thermals? I'd say: just do it.

35 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

9500at_c_p.jpg

I've got one just like it. But they are rather old. They also came with blue LED fans. Got no clue where to buy new fans, so that can be an issue. (I mounted 2 stock fans on it with 2 pieces of wood and lots of zip-ties)

In pretty sure hes painting it gold color and not actually coating it in gold.

1 hour ago, Bcat00 said:

In pretty sure hes painting it gold color and not actually coating it in gold.

To clarify: most components that are going to be gold are heading to be spray-chromed gold by a shop I found in town. Their specific spray-chrome process is NOT the fun chemist-set type (with water and sensitizer baths), THEY will paint a base coat, gold coat, top coat.

The Air Cooler itself would suffer severe thermal insulation if it went through that process (I would be at least marginally better off spray painting it gold!) so instead I am considering either Gold Anodizing or Electroplating. So yes Bcat00, we're talking about actually coating it in gold.

43 minutes ago, HogtownHero said:

The Air Cooler itself would suffer severe thermal insulation if it went through that process (I would be at least marginally better off spray painting it gold!) so instead I am considering either Gold Anodizing or Electroplating. So yes Bcat00, we're talking about actually coating it in gold.

Coating it in gold probably wouldn't make much of a difference in performance. A thin coat of regular spray paint usually raises temps by just several degrees.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.