Ryzen 5 + MSI B350 Tomahawk not posting.

Just got a Ryzen 5 1600, MSI b350 tomahawk, and 2x8gb Corsair 2400 ddr4 in the mail. I've put everything together correctly, but I don't get any boot. All the lights come on, GPU fans spin, CPU fans spin, but monitors are black, and mouse and keyboard don't light up. 

There's no beep code, but there's a light for "CPU" on, on the debug LEDs. It's not flashing, just a solid light. Everything else functions correctly, so what should I do? I've tested ram, reset CMOS, all the usual. DOA cpu or board?

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

Reseat the cpu and put 1 stick of ram in the second ram slot. Leave the other ram slots empty.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Reseat the cpu and put 1 stick of ram in the second ram slot. Leave the other ram slots empty.

Yeaup, I've done that. Reseated and double checked the pins, everything looks fine. Used a different stick of ram too.

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

Just now, Frankieanime158 said:

Yeaup, I've done that. Reseated and double checked the pins, everything looks fine. Used a different stick of ram too.

Have you tried to just leave it alone for like 5 minutes? Ryzen boards take an awful long time to do their first boot.

It should cycle through the debug led's tho. But when my board derped it lit up 2 lights and not 1. 1 is normal because it shows what it's trying to get going.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I heared that Ryzen systems take a long time for their first post but I don't know if it's true. This probably won't solve your problem but I wanted to mention it.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

9 minutes ago, Frankieanime158 said:

Just got a Ryzen 5 1600, MSI b350 tomahawk, and 2x8gb Corsair 2400 ddr4 in the mail. I've put everything together correctly, but I don't get any boot. All the lights come on, GPU fans spin, CPU fans spin, but monitors are black, and mouse and keyboard don't light up. 

There's no beep code, but there's a light for "CPU" on, on the debug LEDs. It's not flashing, just a solid light. Everything else functions correctly, so what should I do? I've tested ram, reset CMOS, all the usual. DOA cpu or board?

I have this board and without CPU even it should light up only cpu light, back led's should come on, and you should have fans spin, And that's without a cpu even installed. Exactly like yours, It's like a CPU wasn't even installed from my perspective.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Just now, GrayTech said:

I heared that Ryzen systems take a long time for their first post but I don't know if it's true. This probably won't solve your problem but I wanted to mention it.

It is true, i can confirm that. I also thought my ryzen 1600 with B350m mortar was broken, turns out it doesn't like a ram stick in the first slot if it has an old bios and an r5 cpu (figured this out because the CPU and RAM debug led's both lit up). With 1 stick in the 2nd slot it did boot fine but it look like minutes. But i could see it go though the POST procedure because the debug led's changed position (cpu,ram, vga and boot iirc). If it wasn't for these led's i would assume it was just dead, but nope :P Just takes a stupidly long time.

ryzen 1600

I will probably buy this CPU very soon!

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

It is true, i can confirm that. I also thought my ryzen 1600 with B350m mortar was broken, turns out it doesn't like a ram stick in the first slot if it has an old bios and an r5 cpu (figured this out because the CPU and RAM debug led's both lit up). With 1 stick in the 2nd slot it did boot fine but it look like minutes. But i could see it go though the POST procedure because the debug led's changed position (cpu,ram, vga and boot iirc). If it wasn't for these led's i would assume it was just dead, but nope :P Just takes a stupidly long time.

>.> these boards are designed to be filled dimm 1A and 2A first then 1B and 2B and they are arranged as such. 

1B 1A 2B 2A

The Vinyl Decal guy.

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

That some awesome "feature" AMD has ... I wonder why it takes so long to boot.

I ordered B350M mortar and R7 1700 ... hopefully everything will work fine.

May I ask what OC did you get on that motherboard?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

That some awesome "feature" AMD has ... I wonder why it takes so long to boot.

I ordered B350M mortar and R7 1700 ... hopefully everything will work fine.

May I ask what OC did you get on that motherboard?

That's just the initial boot btw, first time takes ages, after that it's slow but at least not minutes. It still needs work but updating the bios to the newest one helps a lot.

I didn't oc it all the way, my gf uses the system right now and i overclocked it to 3.7Ghz stock cooler stock voltage. Bumped up the multiplier and that's it :D Haven't tried 3.8 or anything, maybe that works as well, i don't know.

I'm not sure but if i compare it with other results that's a very good oc for stock voltages so it might be a good chip that still has some more room. But i'll need a better cooler for that.

4 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

>.> these boards are designed to be filled dimm 1A and 2A first then 1B and 2B and they are arranged as such. 

1B 1A 2B 2A

Honestly i didn't even look at that :D i just plugged them in and kept trying until it worked.

I probably should have read the manual, but i was lazy so i didn't. Oh well it works and it's stable :D

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

That's just the initial boot btw, first time takes ages, after that it's slow but at least not minutes. It still needs work but updating the bios to the newest one helps a lot.

I didn't oc it all the way, my gf uses the system right now and i overclocked it to 3.7Ghz stock cooler stock voltage. Bumped up the multiplier and that's it :D Haven't tried 3.8 or anything, maybe that works as well, i don't know.

I'm not sure but if i compare it with other results that's a very good oc for stock voltages so it might be a good chip that still has some more room. But i'll need a better cooler for that.

Yeah but still ... Intel doesn't take that long even on first boot.

And today MSI released new BIOS for B350M mortar: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR.html#down-bios

But from what I understand they only optimised it a bit for other RAM modules and to acchive higher clocks on already supported ones.

Hopefully that motherboard can handle 3,8 - 4,0GHz at around 1,4V without any issues ... but I'm kinda worried about power phase and it's cooling. I just hope VRMs won't overheat on this motherboard.

7 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

1B 1A 2B 2A

Aren't all motherboard like this? At least I have that experience and I had experiences with around 30 differend motherboards.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

And today MSI released new BIOS for B350M mortar: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR.html#down-bios

But from what I understand they only optimised it a bit for other RAM modules and to acchive higher clocks on already supported ones.

Hopefully that motherboard can handle 3,8 - 4,0GHz at around 1,4V without any issues ... but I'm kinda worried about power phase and it's cooling. I just hope VRMs won't overheat on this motherboard.

MSI uses almost on every AM4 board the same VRM design, apart from some high-end ones. If you want to know how good it is, watch the video :P

I haven't watched it properly so i can't give you a TL:DR

42 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

MSI uses almost on every AM4 board the same VRM design, apart from some high-end ones. If you want to know how good it is, watch the video :P

I haven't watched it properly so i can't give you a TL:DR

peak efficiency is around 108w from your chip on the b350 tomahawk, but can go well over that

These are actually budget as hell vrm's but they work since ryzen moved a lot of things on chip just like intel.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

48 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Aren't all motherboard like this? At least I have that experience and I had experiences with around 30 differend motherboards.

Nope, my btc mobo fills right to left actually even.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

55 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Honestly i didn't even look at that :D i just plugged them in and kept trying until it worked.

I probably should have read the manual, but i was lazy so i didn't. Oh well it works and it's stable :D

I just point this out since I've corrected it on literally 50+ builds, and it's laziness that causes 1st time pc builder panic often lol

The Vinyl Decal guy.

10 hours ago, Frankieanime158 said:

I have the exact same problem. I haven't tried reseating the CPU or putting one ramstick. Either way, everything is on but nothing is posting. Did you ever figure it out?

14 hours ago, TakeAStepBackAndThink said:

I have the exact same problem. I haven't tried reseating the CPU or putting one ramstick. Either way, everything is on but nothing is posting. Did you ever figure it out?

No I didn't unfortunately :/ I'm RMAing the board, getting a refund and going with a different brand though. In the center you'll see a number like "xxxx V1.0", if it's 1.0, it's literally the first line running the first BIOS which (apparently) gives compatibility with Ryzen 5. Apparently you need to update it, but you can' flash a bios without a Ryzen CPU in there, so it's a bit of a bullshit dilemma. I'm not certain that's what's happening, but it makes sense. You could buy these board before even Ryzen 7 came out, so it's gotta be running some beta or day 1 bios.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post. But I successfully booted my tomahawk with r5 on 1.0 bios with 1 stick of ram and only 1 monitor plugged in.  I had issues with HDMI and DVI so I just used HDMI and it posted quickly.

On 6/2/2017 at 5:45 PM, brontosaurus_ said:

I know this is an old post. But I successfully booted my tomahawk with r5 on 1.0 bios with 1 stick of ram and only 1 monitor plugged in.  I had issues with HDMI and DVI so I just used HDMI and it posted quickly.

Yeaup, ended up being ram for me. Didn't learn until I rma'd the board though -.- When I tried posting, CPU lit up, but ram didn't, which meant ram was fine. I even tested by removing the ram, THEN the light lit up. MSI even said that the BIOS revision was compatible with my ram kit. Anyways, got an Asrock board, same issue. But thankfully someone lent me a Gskill stick for testing, I got a post, updated the bios, then it accepted my ram. I was literally right about to send back the CPU, glad I tried the ram first though.

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, Frankieanime158 said:

Yeaup, ended up being ram for me. Didn't learn until I rma'd the board though -.- When I tried posting, CPU lit up, but ram didn't, which meant ram was fine. I even tested by removing the ram, THEN the light lit up. MSI even said that the BIOS revision was compatible with my ram kit. Anyways, got an Asrock board, same issue. But thankfully someone lent me a Gskill stick for testing, I got a post, updated the bios, then it accepted my ram. I was literally right about to send back the CPU, glad I tried the ram first though.

I have similar problem with B350 Mortar, ver 1.1. Using R5 1600, Gskill FlareX RAM. Red LED coming on EZ debug. Tried CMOS and only one slot RAM, but it is the same. I believe the CPU is set into socket well, tried two times.

What should I do? Regarding those first-time long boot times, I guess the red LED must be solved first, or should I just try to let it go for few minutes?

On 8/8/2017 at 2:40 PM, Deffington said:

I have similar problem with B350 Mortar, ver 1.1. Using R5 1600, Gskill FlareX RAM. Red LED coming on EZ debug. Tried CMOS and only one slot RAM, but it is the same. I believe the CPU is set into socket well, tried two times.

What should I do? Regarding those first-time long boot times, I guess the red LED must be solved first, or should I just try to let it go for few minutes?

Ah sorry, I haven't been on LTT forums in a while. Did you get things figured out?

• 1 year later...

its GMCH problem , motherboard problem 

it work with reflow