Nintendo predicts Switch sales to be 13million by April 2018

EunSoo

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/27/15447342/nintendo-switch-sales-forecast-earnings-2016

Nintendo announced its earnings for the final quarter of its 2016 fiscal year. Which provies a lot of information about the sales of the Nintendo Switch:

Since it became available on March 3rd, Nintendo sold 2.74 million Switch units for the rest of the month — more than the 2 million the company long maintained it would ship in March. Nintendo also forecast sales of 10 million units for the current financial year, meaning it expects to have sold almost 13 million total by April.

TheVerge also points out that we can't take too much information about a console's sales performance from these numbers during its launch month. Instead, looking at how many many units are available dictates sales better. Its still pretty hard to find a switch around the world. It being hard to find as well as Nintendo supplying additional units in March indicates that it has at least performed better than its expectations. Also Nintendo's optimistic 13million number of units sold by the end of the fiscal year is a good sign. 

Overall, Nintendo reported revenue of 489 billion yen ($4.39 billion) and an operating profit of 29.4 billion yen ($264 million) for its 2016 financial year. Revenue was down 3 percent year-on-year, while operating profit was down 11 percent. That’s not surprising considering Nintendo had to limp through 2016 with a moribund home console platform — the real test will come with the first full financial year of the Switch, at the end of which Nintendo expects to have made 60 billion yen in operating profit off 750 billion yen in revenue.

I don't think there is really anything more to say. Good job Nintendo?

they'd need to have produced at least that many to acheive the goal.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

i really hope switch is successful, Zelda breath of the wild is one of the few games that surpassed my expectation.  

The switch for me solidified my opinion that Nintendo doesn't and never will understand how to develop and maintain software on their own console. Just give me new Nintendo games on PS4 or PC and I'll emulate N64 and GameCube  games on a phone or shield portable if you can't do it on your own console.

only one problem with this plan, other than that it's great: it's the end of april going into may!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I'll wait until more games are available before I jump aboard. The games right now are abysmal. I don't like Nintendo's "no Mario" games at launch. That kills it for me.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

21 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

only one problem with this plan, other than that it's great: it's the end of april going into may!

I think they mean April 2018

I just managed to order my switch from walmart this morning, cant wait to play it.

nintendo can easily beef those numberd way higher considering all their online stocks fly off the order sheet usually within 15 minutes.

Title of the topic should probably be the same as the article, so it says Next April, not April.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

If they get a few more big games out by the holidays, it could sell looooads there.

I'll be interested to see what their E3 is like, and what gets announced.

Either way, its good that they've beaten their initial estimate, and the crazy high (over 100% last I looked) adoption rate of Zelda is amazing.

The Switch is defo on my list of things to buy, though like most other people I'm waiting for a few more reasons to buy it, not just Zelda.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

4 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

I think they mean April 2018

didn't see it in the post or link... if people don't provide enough info, speculation starts

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

That is quite a huge expectation, and i think they will be achieving it.

16 hours ago, Soonercoop21 said:

The switch for me solidified my opinion that Nintendo doesn't and never will understand how to develop and maintain software on their own console. Just give me new Nintendo games on PS4 or PC and I'll emulate N64 and GameCube  games on a phone or shield portable if you can't do it on your own console.

Uhh... what?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

2 hours ago, Exprima said:

Uhh... what?

Nintendo talked about selling old N64 and GameCube games on the switch and it was a major selling point for most people because the switch can actually run those old games well and have decent battery life as compared to the release titles. They then continued to go about it in the least sensible way possible by offering one game a month which expires at the end of the month bundled with the online subscription service. This is why Nintendo does not have my money and it's hard to understand why they can't just sell their old games on the switch. Luke talked about this on a WAN show in December iirc.

42 minutes ago, Soonercoop21 said:

Nintendo talked about selling old N64 and GameCube games on the switch and it was a major selling point for most people because the switch can actually run those old games well and have decent battery life as compared to the release titles. They then continued to go about it in the least sensible way possible by offering one game a month which expires at the end of the month bundled with the online subscription service. This is why Nintendo does not have my money and it's hard to understand why they can't just sell their old games on the switch. Luke talked about this on a WAN show in December iirc.

Wait for E3 maybe? Just because they have the asinine "free rental for a month" program doesn't mean they won't sell the full game.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

On 4/28/2017 at 8:20 AM, Soonercoop21 said:

That's just the same Netflix-style bullcrap all game developers are pushing today. There will still be an eShop with virtual console eventually, which unfortunately didn't launch but will... eventually. You'll be able to buy all those N64 games you want. Eventually

I was expecting at least some tablet functionality but they went for "None at all".

So I am now expecting a drastic price cut before I ever consider jumping into a switch.

@LAwLz I think that if sustained they're expecting PS4 numbers. That seems a tad too optimistic, but a bit plausible nonetheless.

-------

Current Rig

-------