Solved: Ryzen 1600 build constant freezing in Windows 10. Won't work till hard reset

Go to solution Solved by jjohnthedon1,

Reinstall and update to creators edition off of the Microsoft website this fixed all my problems 

EDIT: Fixed after upgrading to latest build by downloading the iso in another computer and using a bootable pendrive to fresh install. Build 10240 had some issues for me so be careful do have a creators updated installer with you before upgrading just in case

I upgraded my PC from a i3-2120 to Ryzen 1600 yesterday. I have not overclocked the CPU or the memory though I brought a 3000Mhz one I am currently running it on 2133Mhz.
The main issue is while doing basic tasks like copying files my system freezes up and the mouse and keyboard stops working the CPU fans and lights are on though. The system only works once I restart using the power switch and this happens once in 10-15 mins making the PC totally unusable
The CPU temps and GPU temps are around 40-45C and the ambient temperature is around 35C here
I am currently running Windows 10 10240 since I didn't have updated windows iso now. The iso is installed on a SSD which had no problems till now. 
My specs are as follows
1. Ryzen 1600
2. CPU cooler Gammaxx 400 
3. Motherboard ASUS B350 plus
4. Corsair's Vengeance LPX 16GB (1*16)
5. Cooler master thunder 500watt PSU
6. Asus Geforce Gtx 750ti OC edition
7. 2 cooler master sickle flow fans of 120mm and 2 deep cool 120m fans are installed ( one on the CPU cooler)
8. HDD WD blue 2TB
Seagate 1TB
Intel Pro 1500 SSD (Boot drive)
I will try installing a clean installation of windows again or wait for a while to download the latest one
I am using the latest BIOS and latest drivers from Asus and Nvidia for the chipset and Gtx card respectively

Things that I did with this board so far

1. Clean installing after formatting the SSD for gpt based installation. I have done only MBR based in my previous build. I did this because I was unable to install windows

2. Installed chipset drivers and updated bios through EZ Flash 3

3. Tried disabling SMT the problem still exists

4. I had a few Clock watchdog timeout BSOD's while using the computer

5. No overclocking done both for CPU and memory

6. Also the temps vary a lot it Jumps from 49 to 45 in a second or so though things are gradual when viewed in bios 

7. The voltage is near 1.35 while SMT enabled and 1.22 with SMT disabled

Edited by Rajusesharaj
More details added

3 minutes ago, Rajusesharaj said:

I will try installing a clean installation of windows again

So...did you windows? If not then it may be the cause of your problems :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Reinstall and update to creators edition off of the Microsoft website this fixed all my problems 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Not sure if I understand that right, but you just used the same windows from older system and pluged it onto Ryzen one ... well that's kinda bad since drivers are now all messed up.

Your best bet would be to make clean install of windows again.

Also for 35°C ambient, you have pretty decent CPU and GPU temp there.

I'm guessing you are from Dubai or something xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I am from India and the summer is pretty hot here. No sir I did a clean installation after changing the motherboard that's why I said again. I will try downloading the creators update once my broadband is back

8 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

I believe this one fixes. My broadband is down atm I hope this one solves the issue

7 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Not sure if I understand that right, but you just used the same windows from older system and pluged it onto Ryzen one ... well that's kinda bad since drivers are now all messed up.

That's not necessarily true.  I reused my existing install from my previous FX-8370 build without issue.  

@Rajusesharaj

Having said that, I'd also recommend a clean install since you're having issues.

58 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

That's not necessarily true.  I reused my existing install from my previous FX-8370 build without issue.  

@Rajusesharaj

Having said that, I'd also recommend a clean install since you're having issues.

It might be also a reason that you had previous Windows installed on AMD aswell. This guy had Intel before.

But like you said ... it could be just fine, but I have bad experienes with that. It's best to do clean windows install when changing motherboard and CPU. At least I think so.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

@Jito463 @Simon771 I did do a clean install but I only have a older 10240 build with me as ISO. My internet is currently down so I can't download huge files for now. I will edit to make it clear

2 minutes ago, Rajusesharaj said:

@Jito463 @Simon771 I did do a clean install but I only have a older 10240 build with me as ISO. My internet is currently down so I can't download huge files for now. I will edit to make it clear

Doesn't matter if it's older version ... it should still work without any problems. But still, try to update windows to latest version and see if that helps.

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Doesn't matter if it's older version ... it should still work without any problems. But still, try to update windows to latest version and see if that helps.

Could the RAM be any problem though it's mentioned as compatible in corsair's site

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/ryzen-crash-cant-install-kb4015221/9e627b3c-a4c1-40f0-8e0a-08d630112d68

Seems build 10240 is to blame. I am making my friend download the latest insider preview to see how well it goes and update my build status. Thanks all of you for your support. Hope Ryzen in my system rises 

Update. I updated to the latest creators update available and voila the issue is fixed no freezes nothing. The CPU is cool and no issues now thanks a lot everyone

• 1 year later...

MSI B350M Gaming PRO motherboard, resolving Windows 10 installing error

I have done this with the solution described here. It will benefit my friends like me.