How can I download a short clip from a long YouTube video?

I stream gameplay to YouTube and sometimes moments happen during gameplay that I feel would make a good GIF. I don't want to download the entire video just to make a 15 sec GIF. What do you think would be the best way to isolate a short clip from a long stream video?

1 minute ago, HunterSkater429 said:

record it with obs?

Game gets too laggy for me and still in that case I would have a long video, what I need is a capability to download a portion of the video.

1 hour ago, Lazarus23 said:

Game gets too laggy for me and still in that case I would have a long video, what I need is a capability to download a portion of the video.

no, watch the video, get to the part with the clip, pull up OBS, press record, press play on the video, then stop the recording when you need to.

ez pz? 

you can edit out the start/end if its longer then you need it to be.

usally best to start recording before the part you want and a few sec after then edit it down so you get the exact part you want

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

1 minute ago, HunterSkater429 said:

no, watch the video, get to the part with the clip, pull up OBS, press record, press play on the video, then stop the recording when you need to.

ez pz? 

you can edit out the start/end if its longer then you need it to be.

usally best to start recording before the part you want and a few sec after then edit it down so you get the exact part you want

So what you're saying it's like the same method as ScreenToGif. Although I would still like to know if it's possible to download just a portion of the video from YouTube.

Recording from OBS sounds like the best idea as it would allow you start and stop when ever you want which will hopefully reduce the need for editing later 

Just now, zak rooley said:

Recording from OBS sounds like the best idea as it would allow you start and stop when ever you want which will hopefully reduce the need for editing later 

But the quality gonna suffer man...

In theory yes, you can.

Youtube offers static downloads (basic http downloads, mp4 files, 720p and 480p) for players that don't support DASH (downloading video and audio separately and combining them on-the-fly) ... For example, some old TVs use these static files to play content.

With these plain http downloads, you know the total file size is some quantity of megabytes and you know the length of the video, so you could estimate with some degree of accuracy that the action you want at minute 10 out of - let's say - 100 would start at about 10% of the file and go on for a particular amount of megabytes. So you could start the file transfer at 9% and stop transfer after some amount of megabytes that you think would contain your segment, and then some software would parse the incomplete mp4 file, find the first valid video frame and repair the video and match the audio as well.

In real world, something like this is a pain in the ass, it's much easier to just download the whole content and then extract what's needed.

The OBS quality wouldn't have to be bad. You can configure it to record the full screen and use a lossless codec like MagicYUV to compress what it captures with no loss of quality (but at huge file sizes, something like 8-10 GB per minute for 1080p 60 fps). Start the recording in OBS, switch the youtube player in full screen, hit play and record... you'll get 100% exact copy of what you see on screen.

Of course, later on when you convert the huge file compressed losslesly to a lossy format using a codec like h264, there will be some quality loss, but not much.

Just now, Lazarus23 said:

But the quality gonna suffer man...

Not at all just have the settings set high enough in obs and then there should be no issue at all.

If the quality really is that important then you might as well just download the video off YouTube. 

Just now, zak rooley said:

If the quality really is that important then you might as well just download the video off YouTube. 

Youtube in-video manager download offers bad quality...

I guess ScreenToGif is going to be a nice solution, thanks for your help guys.

You could also record your own gameplay to hard drive and use that as base. YT doesn't really like when non-Red users download videos from there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Please note that asking for instructions or information on downloading content isn't something we allow on the forums as it is against Youtube's TOS which is not something we can support.