Google Assistent SDK is now available to the general public

EunSoo

...where did I put my raspberry pi?...

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/27/15442994/google-assistant-sdk-smart-speaker-actions-gadgets-raspberry-pi

Google has announced that the Google Assistent SDK is now available to the masses. That means that anyone can download and run Google Assistent on their device and Google has said that it will run well on the raspberry pi 3 and on linux.

The obvious use case is speakers, but Google has ambitions to get its assistant embedded in all sorts of different gadgets: phones, watches, TVs, cars, mirrors, and whatever else you can think of. In theory, it will mean that we could see an big number of consumer devices running Google’s voice assistant — taking on Alexa as the go-to chat interface for gadgets.

You can of course get your device to do the usual Google Home things, but you can also get it to do actions that control the device, like telling your dog food feeder to dispense some treats. It can be activated by voice control ("Ok Google") or by pressing a hardware button but Google says "hotword support, companion app integration and more" will eventually come.

As for the software side of things, not a lot is changing with Google Home and the Google Assistant since things opened up a bit last December. Developers can still create “Conversation” Actions and submit them to Google for review so they’ll work on the Home. “Direct” Actions that control devices need a closer partnership. In terms of raw numbers of third-party integrations, Google Home is still well-behind Amazon Alexa.

But that raw-numbers game may not matter as much if Google can leap-frog Amazon in terms of third-party hardware partnerships — and the race is on to do just that before Microsoft and Apple join the fray. If you’re thinking that this is looking a little like an audio-only version of the early days of the smartphone platform war, I wouldn’t try very hard to disabuse you of that notion.

I am still a fan of Alexa before Google Home but I am definitely going to experiment with this on my Raspberry Pi and I am looking forward to see what other more creative and innovative people can do with this. I also expect a lot more products will come out with Google Assistent.

That's cool, now you can make your own google home.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

found google assistant useless, google now is much better. 

I never used any of them except to set reminders when I wasn't home and couldn't use my echo. I just didn't find much practical use in it.

12 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I never used any of them except to set reminders when I wasn't home and couldn't use my echo. I just didn't find much practical use in it.

I use google now every day, just a quick glance in the morning for news and weather. 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

I use google now every day, just a quick glance in the morning for news and weather. 

yeah, I got my echo for that. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

google assistant does that too, it replaces google now completely. (basically version 2.0)

I use if for reminders, timers and turning off and on my lights(sometimes)

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

google assistant does that too, it replaces google now completely. (basically version 2.0)

I use if for reminders, timers and turning off and on my lights(sometimes)

i hate talking in the morning, also does less. google now is better than the assistant in my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i hate talking in the morning, also does less. google now is better than the assistant in my opinion. 

I mean they call google now google assistant, just google assistant has upgraded voice features. the whole google now area on my phone is now just called google assistant.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I mean they call google now google assistant, just google assistant has upgraded voice features. the whole google now area on my phone is now just called google assistant.

i know, in nexus 6p you have an option to turn off assistant. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i know, in nexus 6p you have an option to turn off assistant. 

ahh, cool. I do use the weather portion a lot.

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

found google assistant useless, google now is much better. 

It's the same exact thing except for the new name and new interface

Most voice assistants are gimmicky ways to collect aggregate data from consumers.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Great news. I love automating things on my linux machine. I have many things automated, now i can use google assistant on this same machine. Thanks Google. I am going to get another Rpi3 for home automation. I have done similar project earlier with Rpi3 and some modules.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.