ARM designed an image signal processor.. and yes, it's important (well, I guess not for this forum)

EunSoo

Sources: http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/27/15449146/arm-mali-c71-isp-mobile-photography

https://community.arm.com/graphics/b/blog/posts/driving-next-generation-image-processing-for-automotive

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11293/arm-announces-mali-c71-automotive-isp

ARM has been quietly residing in the heart of the mobile revolution, designing the processors and graphics systems that go into our phones. This week ARM has expanded its portfolio to also include image signal processors (ISPs), which is the first major product from its year-old Imaging and Vision Group and a major foray into pushing mobile camera technology forward. The product they announced is the Mali-C71 Image Signal Processor, the first product in the Mali family. It was built from the ground up for self-driving cars and to manage and process the data from the sensors and cameras throughout the car.

IMG_4250.PNG.80f9f93b522bacda31a9b15e9b197d97.PNG

As the number of cameras per vehicle increases and sensor fusion technologies get smarter, the ISP function – processing raw pixels into high quality images for displays – encoding and further processing by computer vision algorithms is being centralised within the ADAS SoC. Therefore the SoC is capable of managing multiple cameras and delivering reliability and the highest levels of safety in the automotive market. This requires a new approach with built-in functional safety features and parallel virtual processing output for computer vision applications. To date, implementing this in a single SoC has been an elusive goal. Until now.

- ARM

ARM’s ISP exists specifically to address that weakness of the mobile market. Its Mali-C71 iteration targets autonomous cars and all the situational awareness they need to achieve through imaging, so it’s a little overpowered for smartphones, but the company tells me that its mobile solution is already released to silicon partners and we can expect it to become official some time over the next few months.

In terms of integration into a mobile chip, the ISP is little different to ARM’s GPU designs. A silicon vendor licenses the intellectual property from ARM and then works to integrate the ISP into its system-on-a-chip design, which would also include the various CPU and GPU cores as well as power management and other integrated parts. Then a smartphone maker can just order an all-in-one solution to build a new smartphone or tablet device around: CPU, GPU, and ISP all nicely tucked into the same chip.

- The Verge

IMG_4251.PNG.e7dfb30ec1a28420bcc756b9aa3a4284.PNG

ARM’s ISP puts the image sensor’s data through 15 stages of refinement and correction: de-noising, dead pixel correction, de-mosaicing, tone mapping, white balance, color space conversion, gamma correction, sharpening, and then final adjustments to account for whether you want to show the image on the device’s own display or export it elsewhere.

IMG_4252.PNG.7db585d7e33df508c9136c90896580d2.PNG

while the focus of ARM’s announcement is on the ISP IP itself, the company is offering more than just hardware. Mali-C71 is intended to be a combined hardware + software product, with ARM also including a full reference software suite to go with the ISP. Customers will still want to tune the system to their specific needs – and ARM provides those tools as well – but it means that customers can hit the ground running with ASIL-compliant software as well.

- AnandTech

If you want to learn more about this, you can read more about it on the Anandtech and ARM article:

https://community.arm.com/graphics/b/blog/posts/driving-next-generation-image-processing-for-automotive

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11293/arm-announces-mali-c71-automotive-isp

Very cool

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Very cool

I'm glad at least one other person here appreciates it. I love reading about this kind of stuff in the news.

So ARM is an ISP? o.O

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Awesome, read about it this morning, really exciting stuff.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Bear in mind the diagram says Defect Pixel Correction, not Dead Pixel Correction - while a Defect Pixel Correction could include a dead pixel, it's not exclusive to that.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch