AMD making money from ad revenue from installing drivers!?!?

zMeul
2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Not good, if true, and is just as bad as Nvidia enabling telemetry collection when people install Nvidia drivers, with Nvidia selling the data they gather from people.

These companies need to know where lines of appropriateness lay, and know which side of those lines they belong on. A person's personal computer is their own environment, and no company has any right to make profit off of a person's electricity, personal hardware, software licenses, system time and computational power, etc.

The enormous fools who have played apologist for Microsoft when they do this are going be the cause of the same thing being done by every last hardware and software developer on the planet, to the point that their PC is a data-collection and monitoring whorehouse.

Is it OK if I walk into your house and watch your TV when you're not using it, or take metrics on your property as long as I stay out of your way, or plug into your electricity and use it to power digital coin mining? All that is the same as what Microsoft, Nvidia, and now perhaps AMD are doing when they piggy-back on your system hardware, software, power-utilization to generate and collect telemetry data, which they sell for profit.

you think that AMD isnt collecting and selling telemetry data ? xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD 

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

...so what? Bethesda can't force amd to do anything... I don't mind the ads in the installer, but installing things I don't want on my system is off limits.

I dont even mind that they put a link to the web page. I just think its sketchy as hell that they put a obfuscated link to a webpage that is well known for tracking its users. And then passing on referral information. Its just bullshit that they hide it from the users.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

...so what? Bethesda can't force amd to do anything... I don't mind the ads in the installer, but installing things I don't want on my system is off limits.

it's your fault for choosing express and not custom. Just like it is your fault if you give a app carte blanche permissions on your phone and finds out it is spamming shitloads of notifications and using tonns of background data.

9 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

I dont even mind that they put a link to the web page. I just think its sketchy as hell that they put a obfuscated link to a webpage that is well known for tracking its users. And then passing on referral information. Its just bullshit that they hide it from the users.

See my post below yours.

46 minutes ago, Prysin said:

you think that AMD isnt collecting and selling telemetry data ? xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD xDxDxDxD 

That actually wasn't something I was argued, nor a point of my post. And if AMD is gathering and selling telemetry, it would underscore what I wrote in my post, not diminish it.

Additionally, since you are bringing up the subject of whether AMD gathers and sells telemetry or not, please provide a reference to show that AMD has started this practice. Nvidia began doing it only last fall, and it has received lots of public attention and has been a subject of controversy.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Right click and delete, but I guess that is just too difficult 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Just updated my driver and the shortcut is on my desktop. It has no program associated with it, it simply redirects to the Quake Champions closed beta registration form. I deleted it from my desktop, problem solved.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

39 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

That actually wasn't something I was argued, nor a point of my post. And if AMD is gathering and selling telemetry, it would underscore what I wrote in my post, not diminish it.

Additionally, since you are bringing up the subject of whether AMD gathers and sells telemetry or not, please provide a reference to show that AMD has started this practice. Nvidia began doing it only last fall, and it has received lots of public attention and has been a subject of controversy.

you do know that Nvidia and AMD has collected tellemetry through its drivers for YEARS?

This isnt something new, its just that now Nvidia is being "transparent" about it, and or decided to collect more then usual data.

3 hours ago, Natsoup said:

They don't modify your desktop though.

Neither does AMD, if you uncheck the box for this.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Neither does AMD, if you uncheck the box for this.

I haven't heard any mention of a box thay can be checked.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Just now, Natsoup said:

I haven't heard any mention of a box thay can be checked.

Well, I got one.

Jeezus is AMD that desperate for revenue?  What are they making a penny per driver installation?  Good job guys, don't go spending all that in one place now.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Has no one mentioned that add and ad mean completely different things...?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thing is this only ends up on your desktop if you use the express option lol, my friend doesn't have the icon and swore people were going mad when they asked him about it

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

17 minutes ago, Prysin said:

you do know that Nvidia and AMD has collected tellemetry through its drivers for YEARS?

This isnt something new, its just that now Nvidia is being "transparent" about it, and or decided to collect more then usual data.

Samy way people think win8 and win10 are now collecting their data when it's been a thing probably since xp or vista or probably before those

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Wow you guys defending AMD...

So microsoft pulling a textbox ad on the desktop is not ok.

But it's totally ok to have a picture + text ad disguised as a thumbnail on the desktop.

Not to mention the textbox ad goes away by itself after a while (or you click the x), while the thumbnail ad will sit there indefinitely until you manually delete it.

What a bright future we're heading, where one day, after a fresh OS install and installing all the programs we use, we'll have dozens of thumbnail ads on our desktop cause it's totally ok. Wonderful.

They're collaborating with Bethesda though and said Ryzen and Vega optimizations for Quake Champions are to come so.

It's really overreacting seriously.

Though I installed the latest driver, couldn't notice this cause I've had Quake Champions installed already heh. It's really fun game btw.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, JuztBe said:

Yeah, hopefully backslash is big enough for AMD(and other companies) not to try this in the future. Or else someone will have to make addblock for driver installation... 

You joke, but that's a big reason sites like ninite actually took off, since you couldn't get tricked into installing 20 ******** yahoo toolbars

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

While this is a decision made in bad taste, the titles people are coming up with dance on sensationalism, it's just a shortcut people.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler
4 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

Wow you guys defending AMD...

So microsoft pulling a textbox ad on the desktop is not ok.

But it's totally ok to have a picture + text ad disguised as a thumbnail on the desktop.

Not to mention the textbox ad goes away by itself after a while (or you click the x), while the thumbnail ad will sit there indefinitely until you manually delete it.

What a bright future we're heading, where one day, after a fresh OS install and installing all the programs we use, we'll have dozens of thumbnail ads on our desktop cause it's totally ok. Wonderful.

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Both of you don't understand it from a business pov. It's the same reason some will never get why LTT uses goofy thumbnails in their video.

Every dollar earned, means employees will be getting their pay check they rightfully earned. So you think bosses pull money out of their asses to give to their employees. They need to get it from some where else first, by selling a product or service and if that won't cover it, they will try to find some other ways to earn more.

IMO most of the people that are upset aren't upset over AMD bundling an ad with their driver, Nvidia has been putting inline promo images into their drivers for as long as I can remember; people are probably getting upset because they're associating this shortcut with all those bloatware wrapper web installers (e.g. Softonic, Brothersoft, CNET, etc) and what you see here are their knee-jerk reactions.  

Had AMD integrated an ad into the installer like Nvidia does, with a "Sign up now" hyperlink over a Quake promo image to the same exact page, rather than placing a shortcut on the desktop, nobody would have thought twice about it.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Any of you in their seat will do the same thing.

no, no I would not. I would have recognized that the negative PR likely wasn't worth the cost. Since the shit NVIDIA is doing with email logins for drives and all that stupid shit, I would want to separate from that. Being the "moral choice" is one of the few things AMD could have going for it in the long term right now. 

An ad like they already do in the installer isn't nearly as invasive nor does it generate negative PR, but probably works no worse. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, Notional said:

this video is fkin great 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

That doesn't make it any better, and it's not harmless like the thumbnails.

Yes, it is harmless.  Annoying, but harmless.  It's not like it's an installed program that will randomly pop up ads in your face, it's a shortcut.  I agree that they shouldn't have done it, but it's not going to cause your system any harm whatsoever.  At worst, you have to make a couple mouse clicks/keyboard taps to delete it.  Or just use the uninstall tool below:

2 hours ago, Notional said: