AMD making money from ad revenue from installing drivers!?!?

zMeul

source: https://www.techpowerup.com/232775/amd-releases-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17-4-4-drivers

so ... this is a really weird one:

In case you are wondering where that Quake Champions Beta shortcut on your desktop comes from, AMD's 17.4.4 driver installation stealth-adds that to your desktop, with a bit.ly tracking link, instead of directly to the official page. Looks like AMD is making some $$ from it, a referral id is included in the final URL destination, too.

f5f538fe7a9a.jpg

I seriously do not understand AMD for this one, they dropped that shit raptr from their driver package a while back to turn back to this?!

why!

and of course this shit is missing from the release notes: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-17.4.4-Release-Notes.aspx

Edited by zMeul
Typo in title (add to ad)

And the big deal is? Its not hurting the consumer and AMD makes a little bit more money and the owners of the product get noticed better. I see nothing wrong with this, I assume Nvidia, Intel etc all do this as well.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Not good, if true, and is just as bad as Nvidia enabling telemetry collection when people install Nvidia drivers, with Nvidia selling the data they gather from people.

These companies need to know where lines of appropriateness lay, and know which side of those lines they belong on. A person's personal computer is their own environment, and no company has any right to make profit off of a person's electricity, personal hardware, software licenses, system time and computational power, etc.

The enormous fools who have played apologist for Microsoft when they do this are going be the cause of the same thing being done by every last hardware and software developer on the planet, to the point that their PC is a data-collection and monitoring whorehouse.

Is it OK if I walk into your house and watch your TV when you're not using it, or take metrics on your property as long as I stay out of your way, or plug into your electricity and use it to power digital coin mining? All that is the same as what Microsoft, Nvidia, and now perhaps AMD are doing when they piggy-back on your system hardware, software, power-utilization to generate and collect telemetry data, which they sell for profit.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Well AMD pr has been on a roll lately, it's about time the ghost of their past comes back with all these crappy decisions. Mind you, it's not like they force you to create a user account to use an application for your GPU for the purposes of data farming. 

1 minute ago, sof006 said:

And the big deal is? Its not hurting the consumer and AMD makes a little bit more money and the owners of the product get noticed better. I see nothing wrong with this, I assume Nvidia, Intel etc all do this as well.

oh right, so it's not enough they make money from selling the products; they also want to make money on the back of the consumer for installing the drivers ... just in case

jeez!

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Not good, if true, and is just as bad as Nvidia enabling telemetry collection when people install Nvidia drivers, with Nvidia selling the data they gather from people.

These companies need to know where lines of appropriateness lay, and know which side of those lines they belong on.

putting a short cut is not on the same level as gathering your personal data, although is still a bad move

image.thumb.jpeg.a3109f07cca21cc4a47243511df84e8a.jpeg

Ryzen with us, V E G A 

nvidia driver installation has advertisements for games in them aswell. 

and nvidia requires you to have a account to use any features over than basic driver support. 

amd > nvidia when it comes to software. The fucking drivers are unstable as shit 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I've heard of it, but I don't have it enabled automatically after a driver install

I've heard it enables is certain packages are installed or left unattended full install, I don't do that neither do I install GFE

Just now, themctipers said:

and nvidia requires you to have a account to use any features over than basic driver support. 

amd > nvidia when it comes to software. The fucking drivers are unstable as shit 

Having adds is not the same as adding a shortcut to your desktop

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Just now, Rupe said:

Having adds is not the same as adding a shortcut to your desktop

I don't even know what you're talking about, then again I only skimmed through the article. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, sof006 said:

What? What? If you don't agree to download something or put it on your desktop explicitly, it shouldn't be there. Imagine you went to update steam and you suddenly had a link to a buy a new GPU on your desktop out of nowhere. Nvidia and Intel do not do this. AMD is in the wrong here. AMD fanboys are so blind, and accuse other companies of everything possible and then when AMD does something wrong, they pull some shit like this. What the fuck?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Well to get technical both Nvidia and AMD have been making money from "ad revenue from installing drivers" for years. There are integrated ads on both platforms. Ads do not equal packaged software.

Yeah, hopefully backslash is big enough for AMD(and other companies) not to try this in the future. Or else someone will have to make addblock for driver installation... 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

They don't modify your desktop though.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Just now, Natsoup said:

I could just delete it. Pain in the ass, yes. Shame on AMD, yes.  Something that'll affect me? Not really. it's just a simple shortcut. Next update after this outrage, it won't be here. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

But they did modify your system, use your electricity, hardware, and software, your system processing power and your personal usage behaviour, all without your approval, and all to generate profit for themselves. If you're OK with that, then let me know where you live so that I can come by and take your car out for joyrides and business without asking you, because in that you obviously would be a total door mat, who doesn't consider your property, time, or money to be your own.

Also, I would then like to enlist you into slavery for my own benefit, since a willing slave is what you've identified yourself as once you've allowed corporations to unilaterally take all the things that are yours, and use them for their own profitability.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, themctipers said:

I could just delete it. Pain in the ass, yes. Shame on AMD, yes.  Something that'll affect me? Not really. it's just a simple shortcut. Next update after this outrage, it won't be here. 

Hopefully. It's not so much a huge deal as it is a bad business practice and just a sneaky move that should not happen again. Advert banners as you install are annoying as well, but not intrusive. This is petty of AMD.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

3 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

What? What? If you don't agree to download something or put it on your desktop explicitly, it shouldn't be there. Imagine you went to update steam and you suddenly had a link to a buy a new GPU on your desktop out of nowhere. Nvidia and Intel do not do this. AMD is in the wrong here. AMD fanboys are so blind, and accuse other companies of everything possible and then when AMD does something wrong, they pull some shit like this. What the fuck?

Fairly sure you can choose not to install it though, also not sure who you're calling an AMD fanboy as if you haven't noticed my PC is Intel and Nvidia.

System Specs:

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

oh right, so it's not enough they make money from selling the products; they also want to make money on the back of the consumer for installing the drivers ... just in case

jeez!

Who would have thought, most companies do this if you haven't noticed. I have a Samsung phone and they often like to advertise products on my phone through built in apps. Its not just AMD that does this, again if you don't like it I guess don't use AMD or whatever I don't care really. Not defending nor am I saying its okay for AMD to do this, but its not just AMD that does this. Every comapny does this at least once, doesn't matter how big or small the company is.

System Specs:

But they did modify your system, use your electricity, hardware, and software, your system processing power and your personal usage behaviour, all without your approval, and all to generate profit for themselves. If you're OK with that, then let me know where you live so that I can take your car for joyrides and business without asking you, because you obviously are a door mat who doesn't consider your property, time, money your own.

Do you block ads on this website? They didn't modify my system in such a way that I found very intrusive. I care a lot about a clean desktop and a random icon appearing is incredibly peeving. And as for your second sentence, that's The worst comparison I've ever seen. What you suggest is more along the line of ransomware. 

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

2 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

Do you block ads on this website? They didn't modify my system in such a way that I found very intrusive. I care a lot about a clean desktop and a random icon appearing is incredibly peeving. And as for your second sentence, that's The worst comparison I've ever seen. What you suggest is more along the line of ransomware. 

This website is the personal space of LTT, who are rightful to use it as they please, and it does not modify my system. This website is not analogous to a person's offline desktop environment, or to their owned software licenses. And my use of this website, and any interactions with it, are interactions that I invoke by choice and effort, and not ones imposed upon me and my desktop environment.

Any of you in their seat will do the same thing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list