Advice on current CPU/GPU build

preeirl

I am looking for advice on if I should buy a second hand i5-4570 over my current AMD FX6300/MSI 970 PLUS MOBO. I have a spare mother board from my old G3258 lying around and thought maybe the i5 would be better to go for. I was planning on buying a 1050 TI or a RX 460 to go with the FX6300 since I am currently running a EVGA 750 SC, but I don't know if I should just get a new GPU, or buy the i5 and stick with the 750 for now and save a little more and buy a GPU later on.

I'd suggest to keep squirreling away and then get everything at once. Also looking at slightly older but higher end parts used may get you a better performance increase vs going new low end parts.

Also means you can keep an eye out for good deals as they pop up.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Get a RX 470 or 570 they are both much better than the GTX 1050Ti. The 1050Ti has bad value.

2 minutes ago, preeirl said:

I am looking for advice on if I should buy a second hand i5-4570 over my current AMD FX6300/MSI 970 PLUS MOBO. I have a spare mother board from my old G3258 lying around and thought maybe the i5 would be better to go for. I was planning on buying a 1050 TI or a RX 460 to go with the FX6300 since I am currently running a EVGA 750 SC, but I don't know if I should just get a new GPU, or buy the i5 and stick with the 750 for now and save a little more and buy a GPU later on.

I would say go with the RX 470 if you can afford it (I believe it's only a bit more expensive than the 460) and if not go with the GTX 1050 ti. The FX 6300 won't bottleneck either of these cards by a lot although it would be a wise choice to upgrade it to something else (AMD Cards do get quite hot as well so make sure you have sufficient cooling.) TL;DR Go for the GPU first, then CPU later down the road.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600  CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire  Motherboard -  ASRock AB350M Pro4  RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series (2x4) DDR4-2400  Graphics Card - Asus STRIX GTX 950 (upgrade in future)  Power Supply - Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze  Storage - WD Blue 1TB | PNY 120GB 2.5" SSD  Case - Fractal Design Core 2300

"Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow and lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learnt through pain.

9 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

I'd suggest to keep squirreling away and then get everything at once. Also looking at slightly older but higher end parts used may get you a better performance increase vs going new low end parts.

Also means you can keep an eye out for good deals as they pop up.

The 4570 is only £85/$109.53 used right now, is it still worth waiting?

10 minutes ago, Jadan said:

I would say go with the RX 470 if you can afford it (I believe it's only a bit more expensive than the 460) and if not go with the GTX 1050 ti. The FX 6300 won't bottleneck either of these cards by a lot although it would be a wise choice to upgrade it to something else (AMD Cards do get quite hot as well so make sure you have sufficient cooling.) TL;DR Go for the GPU first, then CPU later down the road.

Yeah I need to invest in a 212 cooler, my temps have been hitting between 55/62C as of recent, and Summer is coming in so it'll be a pain to deal with. Thanks for the response. 

14 minutes ago, FTL said:

Get a RX 470 or 570 they are both much better than the GTX 1050Ti. The 1050Ti has bad value.

I don't have much of a budget as I recently sold off some older parts, so I'm using the funds and maybe add an extra £20/30 to it, Importing a 1050 TI from American Amazon is overall the cheapest way and money saved, But if I go for the RX 460 I save a lot more money and maybe add an extra 8GB RAM.

It really depends on the games you're playing as to if it's worth it. You'll need to look at benchmarks comparing the two in the games that you play with the relevant graphics card.

Generally your best putting money in the GPU for raw game performance.

But that Phenom platform is old, tired and lacking may modern features too so it's not really as simple as "gpu VS cpu."

Do you still have the G3258? thats an awesome little chip if you can keep multi-tasking to a min while gaming and the games don't need more than 2 cores to run effectivly.

Have your thought about possibly selling some parts to fund the upgrade?

EG I have friends who would make something functional, sell old rig then drop the cash from that on the GPU and other extra's.. (like with your G3258 & board) 

Obviously you can keep using your Phenom system until you sell it, then it's just a matter of ordering new / sourcing used bits for your system.

7 minutes ago, preeirl said:

I don't have much of a budget as I recently sold off some older parts, so I'm using the funds and maybe add an extra £20/30 to it, Importing a 1050 TI from American Amazon is overall the cheapest way and money saved, But if I go for the RX 460 I save a lot more money and maybe add an extra 8GB RAM.

It's not cheaper.. you'll have to pay customs charges on that when it's delivered.

4 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

It's not cheaper.. you'll have to pay customs charges on that when it's delivered.

You're right, the price dropped recently on the EVGA 1050 TI, it was priced around £140 from UK. Would you rate the 1050 TI over the 460?

9 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

It really depends on the games you're playing as to if it's worth it. You'll need to look at benchmarks comparing the two in the games that you play with the relevant graphics card.

Generally your best putting money in the GPU for raw game performance.

But that Phenom platform is old, tired and lacking may modern features too so it's not really as simple as "gpu VS cpu."

Do you still have the G3258? thats an awesome little chip if you can keep multi-tasking to a min while gaming and the games don't need more than 2 cores to run effectivly.

Have your thought about possibly selling some parts to fund the upgrade?

EG I have friends who would make something functional, sell old rig then drop the cash from that on the GPU and other extra's.. (like with your G3258 & board) 

Obviously you can keep using your Phenom system until you sell it, then it's just a matter of ordering new / sourcing used bits for your system.

I recently sold two GTX 560 TI's and 8GB DDR3 RAM. I do a reasonable amount of Multi Tasking which is why I went with the 6300, 3 cores but 6 in total, not the best but it done what it needed to do, I still have the G3258 lying around just now but is it worth swapping out to that over the 6300 right now and try to sell the 6300 CPU/MOBO combo?

Currently my games played is the usual, League/Overwatch/Rainbow Six Siege/CSGO, but I always have Spotify/Chrome/Skype/Discord running in the background, both are used for separate things and needed majority of the time.

But my main question is, is the overall performance of the 4570 better than the 6300? true quad core over a "fake" hexa-core? I know the 4570 is a newer CPU to the 6300.

the ipc(instructions per clock) of that intel chip is much better than the phenom as well as being able to hit higher clock speeds. However most of what you have listed there is actually low on CPU load.

Best thing for you to do is look at CPU usage while gaming.. If you're finding that the CPU is getting pinned to very high usage (on even just a few cores) then the CPU is already bottlenecking the GPU.. if not then the GPU will give better upgrade.

1 minute ago, Dzzope said:

the ipc(instructions per clock) of that intel chip is much better than the phenom as well as being able to hit higher clock speeds. However most of what you have listed there is actually low on CPU load.

Best thing for you to do is look at CPU usage while gaming.. If you're finding that the CPU is getting pinned to very high usage (on even just a few cores) then the CPU is already bottlenecking the GPU.. if not then the GPU will give better upgrade.

I remember playing on the G3258 and the usage was above 80% with other tasks open, the 6300 as of now only uses around 35-50% if even that. Temps as well were MUCH lower since Intel are normally better around that end.

Should I just stick with the 6300 pick up a 212 EVO cooler and try to sell the G3258/MSI H81M-E33 MOBO combo on eBay or something and pick up a 1050 TI ?

With usage that low, yea, the GPU is the best bet.

However I don't think the 1050ti is your best bet either...

As long as you have a decent ~500w PSU I'd look at used 980 or even a 970(for less) or similar in your price-range.

1 minute ago, Dzzope said:

With usage that low, yea, the GPU is the best bet.

However I don't think the 1050ti is your best bet either...

As long as you have a decent ~500w PSU I'd look at used 980 or even a 970(for less) or similar in your price-range.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-04G-P4-6253-KR/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1493302325&sr=1-1&keywords=1050+ti 1050 TI (NA) is £124.81 this is including import fee's to the UK so overall price is cheaper compared to UK (£144.90) Even going for Zotac or something is a tiny bit more expensive, I just have to wait on it shipping to me which will take longer but I save more.

I could for for a secondhand 960 2GB for £105, but is it better? I feel like the 1050 TI is a great budget card and more future proof since it's a new series from NVIDIA for now, or do you disagree?

Personally I'd rather go for Zotac.. they are a good company and provide a 5 year warranty vs 2-3 for every other manufacturer.. Also, thats estimated duties.. I've been stung before by customs charging much more than I expected.

Also, if you have an issue, you will have to return to america, not locally.

2 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Personally I'd rather go for Zotac.. they are a good company and provide a 5 year warranty vs 2-3 for every other manufacturer.. Also, thats estimated duties.. I've been stung before by customs charging much more than I expected.

Also, if you have an issue, you will have to return to america, not locally.

Is there any other budget cards around the same price at the Zotac at £127.98? and would you happen to know what I could sell the G3258/MSI H81M-E33 at for a second hand price? I don't know if it's against any rules to ask that sort of question, I hope not.

1 hour ago, Dzzope said:

Not true, I bought two 970s from Newegg, delivered from America and still cost less than any GTX 970 in the UK, at the time. No extra fee's upon delivery.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

With a board like that.. Not much.. However if you can package it in a small, sleek case and make a cheap gaming system, you may be able to make a few bucks.

ebay or local free ads are your best bet.. Make sure to offer delivery otherwise your cutting out a huge market and won't get the best price. Couldn't say for an actual figure.. market moves pretty fast.

Just now, Sanctorum said:

Not true, I bought two 970s from Newegg, delivered from America and still cost less than any GTX 970 in the UK, at the time. No extra fee's upon delivery.

Overall cheaper to import, but as someone stated, if you have a problem with the card you need to ship internationally and not locally which is meh

1 minute ago, Sanctorum said:

You, my friend, got lucky...

My point still stands, for a couple of £ difference, if there is ever a problem with the card, you have to pay to send it back to the US and then pay for it to be returned to you at which point you can be open to customs charges again... 

Just now, Dzzope said:

With a board like that.. Not much.. However if you can package it in a small, sleek case and make a cheap gaming system, you may be able to make a few bucks.

ebay or local free ads are your best bet.. Make sure to offer delivery otherwise your cutting out a huge market and won't get the best price. Couldn't say for an actual figure.. market moves pretty fast.

I saw some G3258's sell for around £40-50 but I had a no go with both combo'd at £60, maybe I can throw in 2x2GB G.Skill RAM to make it more attractive.

Would this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Polaris-FreeSync-Express-Graphics/dp/B01J1J7WOM/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1493304041&sr=1-3&keywords=rx+460 be on par with a 1050 TI or no?

25 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

You, my friend, got lucky...

My point still stands, for a couple of £ difference, if there is ever a problem with the card, you have to pay to send it back to the US and then pay for it to be returned to you at which point you can be open to customs charges again... 

I've also ordered from Amazon US and never had to pay custom fee's lol, I don't think I'm that lucky, I just think it's not really an issue with Newegg/Amazon. I do agree that buying locally is much smarter and easier, I'm just saying that he won't necessarily have to pay import/custom fee's. The only reason I bought from US to UK was because it was much cheaper for me to get 2 x 970s from US and I was buying 2 x 4790k's as well, which were cheaper(at the time) from Amazon US inc. delivery than anywhere in the UK.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

15 minutes ago, Sanctorum said:

I've also ordered from Amazon US and never had to pay custom fee's lol, I don't think I'm that lucky, I just think it's not really an issue with Newegg/Amazon. I do agree that buying locally is much smarter and easier, I'm just saying that he won't necessarily have to pay import/custom fee's. The only reason I bought from US to UK was because it was much cheaper for me to get 2 x 970s from US and I was buying 2 x 4790k's as well, which were cheaper(at the time) from Amazon US inc. delivery than anywhere in the UK.

I'd have to pay custom fee's around £15-22 which is fine for me since overall I save a small amount. I never understood why it was cheaper to buy it from America than the UK for the EXACT same product.

No, 1050ti is right between 460 and 470 in terms of performance.

Unfortunately, again it's not a simple answer.. brand preference, price or performance preference is core to the choice between 460 vs 1050ti.

On the used side, a 970 I've seen on ebay for from about £100 and performs a bit better than the 1050ti.. (just to put the option out there)

Or if you spot a 1050ti or similar locally used... you could get a bargain.. but you need to look around.

As for US vs UK.. tax is lower.. thats all.