Is G-Sync worth it?

CrazyGummyBear

Im going to be building my first pc soon and cant decide on a monitor. Im looking for a 27 inch ips 1440p monitor but cant decide if i should get one with g sync or save alot of money. Im a casual gamer not going to be spending hours playing games but would like to have a nice time playing them. Can someone recommend some monitors? 60hz refresh rate is fine and the cheaper the better. Thank you for any help.

its not a need its if you want it, personally I wouldn't get it even if i have a Nvidia GPU 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Are you a really casual gamer? If so, I wouldn't bother. I'm a super casual gamer, and I haven't even purchased a monitor that does more than 60hz.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, CrazyGummyBear said:

Gtx 1080

The least expensive I can find with IPS are the 27" BenQ

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YZn2FT/benq-monitor-gw2765ht

And this 31.5" Asus

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WX7CmG/asus-va32aq-315-2560x1440-60hz-monitor-va32aq

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

21 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

its not a need its if you want it, personally I wouldn't get it even if i have a Nvidia GPU 

You could say that about literally any PC component above budget level

24 minutes ago, CrazyGummyBear said:

Im going to be building my first pc soon and cant decide on a monitor. Im looking for a 27 inch ips 1440p monitor but cant decide if i should get one with g sync or save alot of money. Im a casual gamer not going to be spending hours playing games but would like to have a nice time playing them. Can someone recommend some monitors? 60hz refresh rate is fine and the cheaper the better. Thank you for any help.

I moved from 1080P 60hz to a 1440 144z Asus RoG Swift around 14 - 16 months ago. When you first get you think, wow, this is so smooth. After a while you become used to it and I now only realise how good it is when I switch over to my 4k tv for some sofa gaming, I really notice the effects of vsync then.

The monitor (in my opinion - and I was guilty of this) should be one of your better upgrades on a build. I see people continually spending $2000+ on PC components and playing on a $150 1080P monitor - remember the better the screen the more iq/game quality you're gonna get out of your components. Now that been said I'm not saying that someone should spend $700 on a monitor from a max budget of $1500

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Also, if you are playing mostly E-Sports, turning on V-Sync instead of built in G-Sync isn't going to effect much fps wise with a 1080.

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

exactly. I dont get your point. 

if you want the extra and can afford it get it,

if you want the extra but it will be hard on your wallet and will cost you a meal, dont do it, its just an EXTRA.

if you dont want the extra dont get it.

Just now, stealth80 said:

I moved from 1080P 60hz to a 1440 144z Asus RoG Swift around 14 - 16 months ago. When you first get you think, wow, this is so smooth. After a while you become used to it and I now only realise how good it is when I switch over to my 4k tv for some sofa gaming, I really notice the effects of vsync then.

The monitor (in my opinion - and I was guilty of this) should be one of your better upgrades on a build. I see people continually spending $2000+ on PC components and playing on a $150 1080P monitor - remember the better the screen the more iq/game quality you're gonna get out of your components. Now that been said I'm not saying that someone should spend $700 on a monitor from a max budget of $1500

One thing I did question when he listed the display was the refresh rate. I get the G-sync tax, but the 60 refresh is a big deal in E-sports. If you are going 27"+ 1440p, I'd want at least 75-100 refresh, and no higher than 6ms response (Again, something only really important in e-sports, as you aren't going to notice in The Witcher for instance).

1 minute ago, HunterSkater429 said:

exactly. I dont get your point. 

if you want the extra and can afford it get it,

if you want the extra but it will be hard on your wallet and will cost you a meal, dont do it, its just an EXTRA.

if you dont want the extra dont get it.

well no one needs anything above a Pentium g4560, a 1050ti and 8gb ram. It will play pretty much all games at 1080p.

But we all WANT something faster for more FPS, More IQ or better coding times etc

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

One thing I did question when he listed the display was the refresh rate. I get the G-sync tax, but the 60 refresh is a big deal in E-sports. If you are going 27"+ 1440p, I'd want at least 75-100 refresh, and no higher than 6ms response (Again, something only really important in e-sports, as you aren't going to notice in The Witcher for instance).

I'm pretty sure they don't do 60hz gsync anyway. Especially as gsync only works from like 40 FPS +

Ryzen Ram Guide

what type of "casual games" do you plan to play? honestly if you aren't going to be doing a lot of gaming I wouldn't bother, but that is just me. I have it since I am a heavy gamer with a 34" 4k curved display so I want the best, BUT that being said if I wasn't going to be playing the crap out of games I wouldn't have gotten the g-sync model.

Have any of you looked at fastsync? Any Pascal GPU supports it, and it's in any thinkable way better than Gsync or Vsync. It is however a much simpler and elegant solution.

14 minutes ago, MinionTM2 said:

what type of "casual games" do you plan to play? honestly if you aren't going to be doing a lot of gaming I wouldn't bother, but that is just me. I have it since I am a heavy gamer with a 34" 4k curved display so I want the best, BUT that being said if I wasn't going to be playing the crap out of games I wouldn't have gotten the g-sync model.

Curved screens make such a difference in gaming immersion if it's in the budget (They aren't much more than normal monitors with the same specs either, which surprised me). I'd actually take a curved w/o freesync or g-sync just for the immersion factor. That makes a huge difference to ME.

28 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I'm pretty sure they don't do 60hz gsync anyway. Especially as gsync only works from like 40 FPS +

They do, they are just crazy expensive, as they are almost all 4k.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TzfmP6/asus-monitor-pg27aq

Heh, that's a cheap 27".

i would not reccomend G sync , its EXPENSIVE as hell if you want a nice Monitor , and interduces extra imput lag

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

27 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

i would not reccomend G sync , its EXPENSIVE as hell if you want a nice Monitor , and interduces extra imput lag

@CoolJ S.A.S.

If people can afford it and get the rest of the specs they want I say "Heck yeah, grab it.", but V-Sync usually makes the pc work harder than g-sync or freesync and does not do as good a job.

23 minutes ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

If you are going to be pushing your card pretty hard for the setting you want, then yes, unless that money could go towards an upgrade to make it not a problem anymore.

What can i get to make it not a problem? If i have a 60 hz monitor and am getting more than 60 fps will i still get tearing?

2 minutes ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

resolution and settings are a big one. Also the games you play. If you're modding etc. You can pretty much push things as hard as you want now (you eventually get diminishing returns though). Maybe the 1080ti, another card, some titans depends on your budget really. It's gonna come down to your resolution and what settings you want to use. Also your budget. if you can get a perfect 60 you won't tear. I can tell 60hz with gysnic feels better than 60 with v-ysnc. It looks like you got extra frame rates almost (to my eyes anyways). Vsync and Gsync will get rid of tearing though.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. G-snc>Freesync>V-sync. V-sync may actually take away frames as it is stressing your pc more, so it may not be your imagination.

2 hours ago, stealth80 said:

well no one needs anything above a Pentium g4560, a 1050ti and 8gb ram. It will play pretty much all games at 1080p.

But we all WANT something faster for more FPS, More IQ or better coding times etc

again thats exactly what im saying, no idea why you are repeating it

5 hours ago, HunterSkater429 said:

again thats exactly what im saying, no idea why you are repeating it

my point is you could say that in any forum post where people are buying new components, it's not exactly advice

Ryzen Ram Guide

8 hours ago, CrazyGummyBear said:

1) 60hz is not "fine" unless you only intend to play single player games and will literally NEVER play any online games.  I've been posting about this misconception for years but if you don't believe me then go watch Bitwit's video from the last couple days on it, it's not perfect but he does a good job in the early part of the video explaining some of the reasons. 

The TLDR is this: 60hz is a major disadvantage, has significant motion blur and jerky motion, will cause more eye strain/fatigue, and with IPS panels in particular also tends to have significant input lag.  It isn't "fine" for gaming of any kind but it's especially bad for online games, with the worst offenders being FPS and other competitive games like MOBAs.

2) If you're getting a decent computer then GSync won't do anything for you.  The only time it's useful is when your computer can't run a reasonable framerate and if you're building a PC for 1440p gaming then you shouldn't have a problem for at least the next couple years.  With that being said, if you play a lot of new release AAA titles and you like to max the settings then GSync will help smooth things out down the road.

3) The far more important feature to look for is ULMB, which gets rid of the issue of frame persistence and virtually eliminates motion blur.  It's great for helping with eye strain, makes games feel more responsive, and is BY FAR the biggest improvement in overall display QoL since CRT monitors ceased being made.

Finally.... do NOT cheap out on your monitor.  It is the single most important component of your entire system hands down.  I will never understand why people will spend $400 (or more) on a GPU and then balk at spending more than $300 on a monitor that they will use for the next 8+ years and is literally what determines the overall experience. 

Do yourself a favor, get a nice monitor or keep saving, and don't give me the excuse of "but I'm a casual gamer" because that's ridiculous.  You're on a computer forum asking for advice on what to buy, so you obviously care or you would have just bought something cheap and not bothered.  You don't need to be a competitive gamer to benefit/enjoy a good monitor. 

Check out the BlurBusters list of ULMB gaming monitors and don't buy anything that isn't at least 120hz+ with ULMB.  You can thank me later.

ps: ignore what Bitwit says about "reaction time" because he's wrong about that part, ultra high refresh doesn't just benefit pro gamers with inhuman reaction times.  The faster something appears on your screen the sooner you can begin reacting to it.  So if between refresh rate and input lag you have a delay of 40ms or more that's how much longer it takes you to visually see what has already happened.

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

As at time of writing:

1440p + 27" + IPS + 60Hz starts at $325

1440p + 27" + 144Hz starts at $390 (starting with TN + Freesync)

1440p + 27" + Gsync starts at $611 (happens to 144Hz and IPS)

If you play casually and with a powerful GTX 1080, I suggest just get a regular IPS display, overclock to ~75Hz, and use Nvidia's Fastsync if you get well over 60fps

Fastsync, unlike Gsync, does not require a Gsync display. It will eliminate tearing without the performance impact of Vsync, but requires good framerate to work.

This is really bad advice, no offense. 

First of all, GSync and FreeSync or whatever are all worthless to someone getting a 1080, because he's not going to have an issue with poor framerates in the next 3-5 years with that card and those features ONLY help when you can't hit 60+ fps.  Even in 1440p with reasonable settings there is no way a 1080 will struggle to run games.

Second, 99% of monitors CANNOT overclock without dropping frames.  Companies today with their nonsense of "165hz Overclocked!" have give people a major misconception about which panels can and can't overclock.  Let me help you out: if it isn't a single input Dual-DVI PCB monitor without a scaler... it doesn't overclock.  I bought a Korean panel (XSTAR 2710) with my last build because it was one of exactly THREE monitors in the world that were a true overclocking IPS panel capable of 100hz+.

Third, 60hz is garbage.  Literally trash.  Almost all 60hz IPS panels come with 16-30ms of input lag in addition to the 16ms between frames.  That means you're looking at between a 30-45ms delay in EVERYTHING you see in online games, which is significant enough to take you from an above average reaction time to pretty damn poor.  Not only that, but the positional accuracy is awful so you get worse feel and registration in any game involving aiming (FPS, MOBA, etc).  Oh, and you also get a ton of motion blur, jerky motion, and more eye strain/fatigue.

If you want 1440p and can't afford a 144hz IPS with ULMB (like the PG279Q) then get a TN panel with the same features.  If you can't afford that then stick with 1080p until you can.  No one who spends time playing games every week (even only a few hours a week) should be playing on a sub-120hz monitor at this point.  Saying it's "good enough" just means you haven't ever played on anything better long enough to get used to the faster speed and you don't know how bad it really is.

6 hours ago, crzyces said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. G-snc>Freesync>V-sync. V-sync may actually take away frames as it is stressing your pc more, so it may not be your imagination.

ULMB > GSync/FreeSync/Vsync.

Don't use ANY sync.  They all add input lag and only help when you can't maintain adequate FPS.