Cheap nas solution

Editie

Could anyone recommend a cheapo nas solution to back up multiple computers on the network. 1/2TB hard drives will be plenty

AMD FX 8320 @3.9Ghz|16GB Patriot Viper Red 1600Mhz (DDR3)|Palit GTX 770|GigaByte GA-970A-DS3P

|Antec 1100|NZXT Havik 140|Corsair TX650v2|3 x 24 inch|Razer Deathadder Chroma |CM Quickfire TK (Blue)

1 minute ago, Editie said:

Could anyone recommend a cheapo nas solution to back up multiple computers on the network. 1/2TB hard drives will be plenty

how much is your budget exacly

Just grab an old PC with lots of internal SATA ports. hook up some drives, and use that.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

how much is your budget exacly

Under £100 GBP

AMD FX 8320 @3.9Ghz|16GB Patriot Viper Red 1600Mhz (DDR3)|Palit GTX 770|GigaByte GA-970A-DS3P

|Antec 1100|NZXT Havik 140|Corsair TX650v2|3 x 24 inch|Razer Deathadder Chroma |CM Quickfire TK (Blue)

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Just grab an old PC with lots of internal SATA ports. hook up some drives, and use that.

Not got an old PC only my main rig which I us daily etc 

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

with the drives drives?

Preferably if not I can take one out of my main rig as it's unused atm

Just now, Editie said:

Not got an old PC only my main rig which I us daily etc 

buy a used old AMD system or something.

very little CPU power is required for a basic NAS, so a modern dual-core, or a used quad-core should be more than enough.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

Thanks fir the replies, will look into them fully when I'm home from work

4 minutes ago, Editie said:

Under £100 GBP

I don't know how far you'll be able to go with that amount of money.

At this price point, find a used chassis with a few sata ports, find some old used hard drives, then use some kind of software RAID 10 solution.  After that choose your *free* NAS software.  If you will also be doing backups, I use GoodSync, it is an awesome free backup software that even has P2P wireless or wired backup solutions over internet.

If your chosen NAS software isn't it's own OS and just an app, you can just use the free "trial" of Windows 10.  Since the watermark won't really affect the NAS.  You only really want to get the watermark removed if you will be using the PC a lot, or will be doing content creation, *viewage, gaming, or especially screen recording, etc.......

5 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

At this price point, find a used chassis with a few sata ports, find some old used hard drives, then use some kind of software RAID 10 solution.  After that choose your *free* NAS software.  If you will also be doing backups, I use GoodSync, it is an awesome free backup software that even has P2P wireless or wired backup solutions over internet.

If your chosen NAS software isn't it's own OS and just an app, you can just use the free "trial" of Windows 10.  Since the watermark won't really affect the NAS.  You only really want to get the watermark removed if you will be using the PC a lot, or will be doing content creation, *viewage, gaming, or especially screen recording, etc.......

I could bump up to £150 or if you can suggest a good solution at a price point I could consider

cheapest NAS you can have is a pi NAS, you can build one under £50 to £80 depending on how much storage you want. 

40 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

48 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

buy a used old AMD system or something.

very little CPU power is required for a basic NAS, so a modern dual-core, or a used quad-core should be more than enough.

How does this look?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/data-storage/wd-my-cloud-wireless-nas-drive-2-tb-white-21736641-pdt.html

Why have a nas with such limited budget? Just use your main rig, and spend the money on another drive. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

With only 100£ (about 150 USD) I'd say you'd be better off scavenging an old dell PC from eBay and seeing what remained for HDD.

You CAN get used HDD and I've read some people having LUCK but many would steer away from that. If you back everything up on your NAS and then turn it off (so the HDD stop spinning) then you should be more so in the clear for longer.

I would still recommend seeing what you can do with your budget for new HDD. If it's not too important, (urgent/needed to be built soon) check Reddit's hot deals on pc parts sub Reddit. Otherwise I'd wait for Black Friday. I hear Europe recently started having equivalents in smaller effects to Black Friday. 

Note: this forum also has a hot deal section. Hope if the deals are international in relationship to you the shipping doesn't bite you back.