My local network speed is lower than my internet speed

IAmAndre

I plugged an old USB drive to my router to transfer data from my different devices wirelessly. For some reason, the speed of this transfer is lower than my internet speed, so actually I'd be better off downloading them again.

I'm using a router provided by my ISP and according to the specs it's WiFi bgn compatible with a max speed of 54 mbps, which is far from the speeds I'm getting. Any idea how I can troubleshoot/fix this issue?

Thanks

Screenshot from 2017-04-27 01:25:55.png

If I was your self i would switch out that modem/router for better speeds and an wifi that can handle 5GHZ

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I plugged an old USB drive to my router to transfer data from my different devices wirelessly. For some reason, the speed of this transfer is lower than my internet speed, so actually I'd be better off downloading them again.

I'm using a router provided by my ISP and according to the specs it's WiFi bgn compatible with a max speed of 54 mbps, which is far from the speeds I'm getting. Any idea how I can troubleshoot/fix this issue?

Thanks

Screenshot from 2017-04-27 01:25:55.png

Test the drive on a PC you might find it is that if it is old enough

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

How fast is the USB drive? That could be throttling your speeds, especially if it is USB 2.

Well it looks to me like you are downloading and transferring both at once, so there's your problem.

My native language is C++

So youre downloading from Steam @ 650KB/s and moving files at 450KB/s so doing 1MB/s transfer rate which is ~12Mbit.....yes your router might be rated for 54Mbps on 802.11g WiFi but 1. The router probably only has a single receiver serving multiple clients, 2. Youre probably not sitting right next to the router and 3. WiFi often never performs at the "rated speed" on cheaper (especially ISP supplied) routers.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 4/27/2017 at 1:50 AM, astrosheen said:

Test the drive on a PC you might find it is that if it is old enough

On 4/27/2017 at 2:12 AM, aidanapple said:

How fast is the USB drive? That could be throttling your speeds, especially if it is USB 2.

I just plugged the thumb drive to my PC and was able to copy file at up to 4MB/s. This might not be super accurate but the speed was very decent.

On 4/27/2017 at 8:45 PM, Jarsky said:

So youre downloading from Steam @ 650KB/s and moving files at 450KB/s so doing 1MB/s transfer rate which is ~12Mbit.....yes your router might be rated for 54Mbps on 802.11g WiFi but 1. The router probably only has a single receiver serving multiple clients, 2. Youre probably not sitting right next to the router and 3. WiFi often never performs at the "rated speed" on cheaper (especially ISP supplied) routers.

That's still pretty low, I would expect at least half the advertised speed. But basically what you're saying is the router is the problem, I'll try to get another one when I see a good opportunity. Any suggestion?

Firstly try to transfer files over Ethernet.

USB could be implemented badly

4 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

That's still pretty low, I would expect at least half the advertised speed. But basically what you're saying is the router is the problem, I'll try to get another one when I see a good opportunity. Any suggestion?

The speed advertised "54Mbps" is for the max rated speed of that specific protocol (technology). Theres a big difference in rated speed, and real world speed when it comes to Wifi. You have signal contention, duplex/channel configuration, interferance and just loss of signal over distance to deal with. There are many many things that impact the wifi experience, which is why when possible its better to use newer wifi tech (e.g 802.11n & 802.11ac). As for suggestions, im from New Zealand and our internet techology is different, so as an all in one recommendation maybe others can advise. But generally most units from the likes of Netgear, Cisco and Belkin are pretty decent all-in-ones. Maybe your ISP might have a new router they can offer you also, as 54Mbps (802.11g) is very old.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA