Florida legislature wants a filter on all electronics

LanK111er
Go to solution Solved by suicidalfranco,
1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

florida man, always living on the edge

http://bitsonline.com/florida-companies-censor-internet/

@LinusTech @Slick

"A bill has been introduced to Florida’s state legislature that would require electronic devices to be manufactured with a government-mandated filter pre-installed."

"The bill also requires businesses to respond to reports of “obscene material.” Failing to do so can also result in legal action being taken"

"selling any electronic device that can access the internet, without a filter, would become a felony if sold to a minor and a first-degree misdemeanor if sold to an adult under state law"

"The bill provides consumers with recourse, however, as the bill does give them the option deactivate the filter. However, they must physically go to the manufacturer and request the deactivation. Additionally, they have to prove they are 18 years of age or older and are required to pay a deactivation fee of US $20"

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Ohh ffs Florida, We just had that ISP thing and now you want a filter on us? I swear governments are getting stupider with the years that pass 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

I find it disheartening to see that politicians cover up their bills with titles like "Human trafficking prevention act." What's even worse is that most people will eat this up without looking at the actual content of the bill. If this passes, it will be a total invasion of privacy. Not only that, it will be totally useless. People will find another way to commit these crimes. People are smart enough to disable these of filters. 

This is nothing more than an insult to the people.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

4 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

where is Florida man when we need him.

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/florida-man-caught-on-camera-stuffing-pillow-case-filled-with-puppies-into-drain

too busy stealing puppies

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

florida man, always living on the edge

28 minutes ago, LanK111er said:

http://bitsonline.com/florida-companies-censor-internet/

@LinusTech @Slick

"A bill has been introduced to Florida’s state legislature that would require electronic devices to be manufactured with a government-mandated filter pre-installed."

"The bill also requires businesses to respond to reports of “obscene material.” Failing to do so can also result in legal action being taken"

"selling any electronic device that can access the internet, without a filter, would become a felony if sold to a minor and a first-degree misdemeanor if sold to an adult under state law"

"The bill provides consumers with recourse, however, as the bill does give them the option deactivate the filter. However, they must physically go to the manufacturer and request the deactivation. Additionally, they have to prove they are 18 years of age or older and are required to pay a deactivation fee of US $20"

Its not the governments job to dictate what the youth of america look at on the internet. Parents have the right to raise their kids the way they want to, and this kind of violates that. If they wanted to try and protect kids from seeing bad things, it would be so much easier to run campaigns to convince parents to put parental restrictions on devices, instead of trying to pass legislation to make it mandatory. Just seems like a dumb way to put filters for kids, and just another way to collect revenue for uncle sam.

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

I think I remember reading about this a couple of months ago...  If Florida does enact a bill like this, first, it'll probably be litigated for violating something federal, especially since it could affect interstate commerce and second, you'll see everyone buy their electronics either online or drive across the state border to purchase their devices.  Good time to open up an electronics store in Southern Georgia???  

1 hour ago, LanK111er said:

-snip-

fix for night theme users please

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

10 minutes ago, Epic_Nex said:

Its not the governments job to dictate what the youth of america look at on the internet. Parents have the right to raise their kids the way they want to, and this kind of violates that. If they wanted to try and protect kids from seeing bad things, it would be so much easier to run campaigns to convince parents to put parental restrictions on devices, instead of trying to pass legislation to make it mandatory. Just seems like a dumb way to put filters for kids, and just another way to collect revenue for uncle sam.

What if the parent's idea of raising a kid is locking them in a basement and feeding them scraps once in a while?

58 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What if the parent's idea of raising a kid is locking them in a basement and feeding them scraps once in a while?

It's good for them.  Builds character.  It didn't affect me any. *twitch*twitch*

Don't mind that, just a muscle spasm. *twitch*

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I hope you know the answer to your own question. I mean within reason and within the laws, a parent can raise their kid as they wish.

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

4 minutes ago, Soonercoop21 said:

And this is why I live in Texas.

Get enough Californians moving in there and it'll be the same thing

This Florida bill sounds like when they tried to ban Waze for alerting people of police, or when Arizona tried to ban flashing your floodlights for the same reason

Didn't Californistan try this  few years back?  And most every company out there said they would rather give up all sales rather than deal with this kind of law/regulation?  Not for any moral reason, but I thought it was going to be simply way too burdensome and way too easy to get fined.

1 hour ago, TOMPPIX said:

where is Florida man when we need him.

Probably drinking with an alligator after fighting with cops for 6 hours.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Every good article "Florida man/woman/etc..."

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I'm new here plz help. I didn't know I was such a hypocrite. Lol

2 hours ago, LanK111er said:

I'm new here plz help. I didn't know I was such a hypocrite. Lol

Click "Edit" on your post (it should look like a pencil.) Highlight all of the text. Then, click the underlined "A" in the toolbar at the top of the text editor, that should bring down a color picker for text. At the top of the color picker, it should say "Automatic." Pick Automatic. Save your post. It should fix the problem.

I used to be quite active here.