Semi Truck Desktop

Hey guys, I am an over the road team truck driver in a class 8 vehicle (frieghtliner cascadia 125 semi truck). It has an auxiliary power unit (kind of like a go cart engine on the side that supplies power when the truck is off) and a 1800w power inverter. My question is will my desktop computer be negatively affected by using it in the truck? I've read some things about pure sine wave and parts in the computer bouncing around while my wife drives could be nasty to the pc. However no one could really tell me for sure and I figured why not try to get help from Linus since all of his videos are really helpful. I already have a semi decent laptop that works fine but I feel that it is lacking in comparison to my desktop. the power supply for my desktop is 800w but I am only using 1 gpu. Its nothing crazy. Thanks for all your guys input in advance I appreciate it. 

What are your specific specs?

Thanks!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

I'm not too familiar with the way components would behave when subjected to constant oscillations. However as long as you have only solid state storage I would think it would be okay. Having any type of mechanical storage wouldn't last long

12 minutes ago, LucidiousGibs said:

Hey guys, I am an over the road team truck driver in a class 8 vehicle (frieghtliner cascadia 125 semi truck). It has an auxiliary power unit (kind of like a go cart engine on the side that supplies power when the truck is off) and a 1800w power inverter. My question is will my desktop computer be negatively affected by using it in the truck? I've read some things about pure sine wave and parts in the computer bouncing around while my wife drives could be nasty to the pc. However no one could really tell me for sure and I figured why not try to get help from Linus since all of his videos are really helpful. I already have a semi decent laptop that works fine but I feel that it is lacking in comparison to my desktop. the power supply for my desktop is 800w but I am only using 1 gpu. Its nothing crazy. Thanks for all your guys input in advance I appreciate it. 

I wouldn't worry too much about how "clean" the electricity coming out of your inverter is. Mains power is rarely clean and power supplies include a lot of filtering on the front end before letting it touch the computer itself. So as long as you have a well built power supply, this shouldn't be a problem.

As for bouncing around, that shouldn't be a problem as long as you screw everything down tight or use latched connectors (most of the important ones do, but for some reason SATA power doesn't still).

I did not expect replies that quickly, thank you. I have a custom built low grade pc i made about 3 years ago. It is an amd motherboard with a gigabyte gpu. Unfortunately I do not have it with me but it will run star citizen so that might give you some idea of its power. I have a laptop with a gtx 1070 and i7 processor that will not run it smoothly so I am not really sure how my desktop is any better.

Ok, thank you everyone. I just wanted to see if it would get ruined by being on an inverter. Thanks again.

If you have not already, you might want to consider going all SSD for your storage.

HDDs don't really react well to being bounced about while in operation.

Sure there is no guarantee that it will fail at all, but there is a significantly higher chance that an unseen pothole at the wrong time and you could be facing data loss. Where as an SSD would happily bounce along without a care in the world.

9 hours ago, LucidiousGibs said:

I myself am a former long haul trucker. I had my gaming pc in the sleeper berth for nearly a decade. I had no issues what do ever and that was before ssd drives. I was running a mechanical hdd the entire time. Just make sure everything is connected solidly and if you do have a large graphics card, make sure you secure it tightly in the case. I cut some pvc pipe and secured it with small screws and strapping materials. Also High strength fishing line works wonders. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Add some foam padding to case to absorb vibrations. GPU fans might be biggest issue, HDDs actually can take quite pounding before corrupting data. Still getting bigger SSDs would be better option in long run.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv