What's the best value?

Bananasplit_00

Which one?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• 1050 ti for €177
    • 1050 for €145
    • 460 for €120

I'm at the GPU shelf, vote for the card you think I should get for a system with an I5 4690k and 4GB of ram. It's for playing esports games at 1080p

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Which esport specifically? Do you aim at 144Hz? Do you do anything else than esport gaming? Any AAA titles in mind?

rip

3 minutes ago, rip said:

Which esport specifically? Do you aim at 144Hz? Do you do anything else than esport gaming? Any AAA titles in mind?

Paladins and CS GO 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Why not RX 470,  are the prices of them too high?

49 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'm at the GPU shelf, vote for the card you think I should get for a system with an I5 4690k and 4GB of ram. It's for playing esports games at 1080p

If you can afford 8GB then i would strongly urge you to buy 8GB RAM instead of 4GB.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

47 minutes ago, FTL said:

Why not RX 470,  are the prices of them too high?

€200. so screw that, i dont have the cash.

28 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you can afford 8GB then i would strongly urge you to buy 8GB RAM instead of 4GB.

nope its not for my main system and 4GB is way enough for esports games.

ended up buying nothing because i realized that if i do i wont be able to afford the I7 4790K i found a deal on :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Spenser1337 said:

570 is a couple bucks more and much much faster 

sure there is a single card thats under $200 but they dont have them. i bought nothing anyways seeing as im going to get an I7 4790K at the end of the month

Builds:

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

sure there is a single card thats under $200 but they dont have them. i bought nothing anyways seeing as im going to get an I7 4790K at the end of the month

you can get a 470 too. still much better than a 1050ti 

trust me I got a 1050ti for 120 and I feel ripped off

5 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

you can get a 470 too. still much better than a 1050ti 

trust me I got a 1050ti for 120 and I feel ripped off

its €189 for the cheapest 570 but i probably forgot to mention i cant have a side faceing external power connector, only no connector or a forward one seeing as it dosent fit(well it really depends on where on the side its located but the spots used are almost all disrupted.) the size constraints are also really tight, the card can be no wider then the PCI slots height nor any wider then exactly two slots. if you can find a 570 or 470 that can do that at a price bellow $185 then tell me(there is almost no way im spending that much though). this GPU is just going to run esports games like Paladins and CS:GO at 1080p, dosent even have to max them out so i dont see a reason to spend $180+ when i dont have to. the cards i looked at all fit the case just fine and thats why i asked but i am also not going to get this GPU for about another month or so now seeing as i have decided to spend my money on other things(well a single thing, an I7 4790K :D) instead for now.

Builds:

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its €189 for the cheapest 570 but i probably forgot to mention i cant have a side faceing external power connector, only no connector or a forward one seeing as it dosent fit(well it really depends on where on the side its located but the spots used are almost all disrupted.) the size constraints are also really tight, the card can be no wider then the PCI slots height nor any wider then exactly two slots. if you can find a 570 or 470 that can do that at a price bellow $185 then tell me(there is almost no way im spending that much though). this GPU is just going to run esports games like Paladins and CS:GO at 1080p, dosent even have to max them out so i dont see a reason to spend $180+ when i dont have to. the cards i looked at all fit the case just fine and thats why i asked but i am also not going to get this GPU for about another month or so now seeing as i have decided to spend my money on other things(well a single thing, an I7 4790K :D) instead for now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131699&cm_re=470-_-14-131-699-_-Product

If it were me I'd eBay a second hand G1 Gaming 970 SOC...I'd expect almost double the performance of 1050ti for more or less the same money (but then I've generally always used second-hand components so it's something very much within my comfort zone). 

If I'm missing something please feel free to call me out on it...I'm open to new information. ;) 

[Edit] Oh okay...I just read the size constraint info...

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

If it were me I'd eBay a second hand G1 Gaming 970 SOC...I'd expect almost double the performance of  1050ti for more or less the same money (but then I've generally always used second-hand components so it's something very much within my comfort zone). 

If I'm missing something please feel free to call me out on it...I'm open to new information. ;) 

Gtx 970 is probably the most outdated gpu of 2014-2015s lineup. The r9 390 took its crown away, and the rx 480/1060 outperform it. It is very overpriced for its performance considering you can often get 480s for 160$ new. I would advise getting a 480 over a 970 any day of the week. 

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

If it were me I'd eBay a second hand G1 Gaming 970 SOC...I'd expect almost double the performance of  1060ti for more or less the same money (but then I've generally always used second-hand components so it's something very much within my comfort zone). 

there is no way thats going in the case, i have one around and the 6pin is placed where it cant be plugged in and i cant use paypal either so ebay is dead to me now.

23 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay too tall

the card can be no wider then the PCI slots height nor any wider then exactly two slots.

there is litteraly no way to get that in there even with some other cooler seeing as the PCB is too high by itself

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

there is no way thats going in the case, i have one around and the 6pin is placed where it cant be plugged in and i cant use paypal either so ebay is dead to me now.

way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay too tall

there is litteraly no way to get that in there even with some other cooler seeing as the PCB is too high by itself

How small is your case?

2 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

How small is your case?

...this...

...but i probably forgot to mention i cant have a side faceing external power connector, only no connector or a forward one seeing as it dosent fit(well it really depends on where on the side its located but the spots used are almost all disrupted.) the size constraints are also really tight, the card can be no wider then the PCI slots height nor any wider then exactly two slots. if you can find a 570 or 470 that can do that at a price bellow $185 then tell me(there is almost no way im spending that much though). this GPU is just going to run esports games like Paladins and CS:GO at 1080p, dosent even have to max them out so i dont see a reason to spend $180+ when i dont have to. the cards i looked at all fit the case just fine and thats why i asked but i am also not going to get this GPU for about another month or so now seeing as i have decided to spend my money on other things(well a single thing, an I7 4790K :D) instead for now.

@Spenser1337 Also, thanks for the info...running searches (I've been out of the game for a while)...lol

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

4 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

...this...

Yea I saw it I just don't understand how you could have a case that small. I don't think you can even find a 1050ti that short, even the single slot one.

NP, this generation of cards came a far way. Nvidia also isn't updating drivers for maxwell *correct me if I'm wrong here

6 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

Yea I saw it I just don't understand how you could have a case that small. I don't think you can even find a 1050ti that short, even the single slot one.

NP, this generation of cards came a far way. Nvidia also isn't updating drivers for maxwell *correct me if I'm wrong here

Portable LAN gaming I'm guessing...

...for those two the system RAM seems fine.

Have you run searches for the differences in performance within game between those two cards? 

For CS GO it might be worth going for the more expensive one if it means a substantial increase in performance, which, with CS GO it may very well do.

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Have you run searches for the differences in performance within game between those two cards? 

For CS GO it might be worth going for the more expensive one if it means a substantial increase in performance, which, with CS GO it may very well do.

Csgo is pretty CPU based. Probably wouldn't make too much of a difference, but if I was spending my money I would obviously get the card with better performance for a bit more.

7 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

Csgo is pretty CPU based. 

Actually I didn't think of that...interesting.

...omg, where do you find benchmarks for this stuff...!? lol

But yeah...I'd be more inclined to figure out if it's going to work out worth the money...I guess it's not much of a difference in terms of cash but then if the money means that much that you have to query it, I guess it's worth looking into...I bought an i3 and used the money I saved to buy a Xonar Essence, but that was a pretty substantial saving and I really just didn't need the overhead of anything more than an i3...it even runs Far Cry 4 if you do the jiggery-pokery to remove the artificial lock on it working with the i3's (but then I'm a heavy, hard-casual, retro-gamer so...)

14 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

How small is your case?

13 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

...this...

@Spenser1337 Also, thanks for the info...running searches (I've been out of the game for a while)...lol

take a look at the toaster project. its not too long, thats not a problem but its to wide. i can probably fit a 40cm GPU in the case no problem but there is less then a milimeter from the top of the GTX 660 that im using for size refence to the harddrive cage and its about 3mm wider then the PCI bracket. the card you posted pokes out like hell and the 6pin will also be covered up i can almost guarantee.

5 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

RAM is fine and you hit the nail with the LAN thing seeing as this is my project to replace the LAN PC. Paladins will run on almost anything and so will CS:GO but i want a bit of GPU power either way.

5 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

Csgo is pretty CPU based. Probably wouldn't make too much of a difference, but if I was spending my money I would obviously get the card with better performance for a bit more.

the less i spend on the GPU the more i can spend on watercooling for my main system upgrade :P and CS:GO isnt very CPU based but it wont ever use more then 4 cores if even that so IPS becomes important but its not like i play that game much anymore either way. i play competetive Paladins though on a semi profesional level(well i have no team right now but i used to be in the 13th best team EU :D).

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

take a look at the toaster project. its not too long, thats not a problem but its to wide. i can probably fit a 40cm GPU in the case no problem but there is less then a milimeter from the top of the GTX 660 that im using for size refence to the harddrive cage and its about 3mm wider then the PCI bracket. the card you posted pokes out like hell and the 6pin will also be covered up i can almost guarantee.

RAM is fine and you hit the nail with the LAN thing seeing as this is my project to replace the LAN PC. Paladins will run on almost anything and so will CS:GO but i want a bit of GPU power either way.

the less i spend on the GPU the more i can spend on watercooling for my main system upgrade :P and CS:GO isnt very CPU based but it wont ever use more then 4 cores if even that so IPS becomes important but its not like i play that game much anymore either way. i play competetive Paladins though on a semi profesional level(well i have no team right now but i used to be in the 13th best team EU :D).

Csgo is definitely CPU based, it can use more than four cores. Go to your launch options and put -threads 8 with your 4790k. 

Trust me, I've played extensively on tons of hardware.

Just now, Spenser1337 said:

Csgo is definitely CPU based, it can use more than four cores. Go to your launch options and put -threads 8 with your 4790k. 

Trust me, I've played extensively on tons of hardware.

you wont see any benefit from doing that from what i know, better GPU will see you with higher FPS then more cores. either way its unimportant seeing i just mentioned it as an example game i might play for a few hours with some friends. a more realisic suite of games would be: Paladins, OSU, BDO, Civ V, Gunns of icarus, Gmod and FTL, but its probably mostly Paladins and OSU lol. also if i got a 470 that would be a better card then whats currently in my main PC seeing as i have a 970 but i doubt it would preform as well seeing as i overclocked it quite a bit :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

Do you have a link for "toaster project"? All I'm finding is links to a book about a guy trying to build a toaster from scratch.

Also, what CPU do you have?

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

Also, what CPU do you have?

*triggredness intensifies* :P anyway an I5 4690K, says this in the post and a link to the toaster project is in my sig, the big orange thing that says THE TOASTER PROJECT lol

Builds:

Spoiler