How Long Will Flowers Last in a Hot Car?

byalexandr

I live in Texas, today is overcast but it still warms up in my car when I leave it parked outside. I am arranging a little something for my date after work, and I want to give her flowers. I read that it's not the heat that makes the flowers wilt but the lack of water. If I buy them today at around 2PM and then have them in my car to around 11PM, do you guys think they will be okay? Maybe if I sit them in a plastic vase?

1 hour ago, byalexandr said:

I live in Texas, today is overcast but it still warms up in my car when I leave it parked outside. I am arranging a little something for my date after work, and I want to give her flowers. I read that it's not the heat that makes the flowers wilt but the lack of water. If I buy them today at around 2PM and then have them in my car to around 11PM, do you guys think they will be okay? Maybe if I sit them in a plastic vase?

See if your Florist has any of those "waterpack" systems for bouquets. They come in the form of a "sponge", or a plastic vial filled with water, and the stems are stuck into them.

This will significantly improve the longevity of the flowers.

However, 9 hours in Texas Heat inside your car? I dunno man... More than a few hours in hot weather and they'll probably start to droop a little, at least.

They'll probably "survive", but I doubt they'll look as fresh as when you picked them up.

If you have one of those reflective sun blankets for the Windshield of a car, I'd try hiding the flowers under that, in the back seat or something.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

See if your Florist has any of those "waterpack" systems for bouquets. They come in the form of a "sponge", or a plastic vial filled with water, and the stems are stuck into them.

This will significantly improve the longevity of the flowers.

However, 9 hours in Texas Heat inside your car? I dunno man... More than a few hours in hot weather and they'll probably start to droop a little, at least.

They'll probably "survive", but I doubt they'll look as fresh as when you picked them up.

If you have one of those reflective sun blankets for the Windshield of a car, I'd try hiding the flowers under that, in the back seat or something.

I drive a two seat sports car lol

I'll keep them on the floor under the passenger side dash. Maybe crack the window to let fresh air in.

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

Could you not keep them in the office? Assuming you work indoors.

But the she'd see them and it wouldn't be a surprise anymore.

6 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

But the she'd see them and it wouldn't be a surprise anymore.

You work with your girlfriend?

#couldgoterriblywrong xD

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You work with your girlfriend?

#couldgoterriblywrong xD

Yep lol

I'm actually asking her to prom. We get off work at like 11PM so since my car has pop up head lights I made this thing that whenever I hit the headlights it lights up 'Prom?' in blue letters. Looks pretty dope actually. And I want to give her flowers to go with it.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Yep lol

I'm actually asking her to prom. We get off work at like 11PM so since my car has pop up head lights I made this thing that whenever I hit the headlights it lights up 'Prom?' in blue letters. Looks pretty dope actually. And I want to give her flowers to go with it.

If I recall your other thread, didn't she already agree to go with you?

Just now, dalekphalm said:

If I recall your other thread, didn't she already agree to go with you?

Yeah but you guys said to just ask her. I did and she said "yes but you have to ask in some better way" xD

So I did the thing I was originally planning. She doesn't know about it so I want to keep it a surprise.

• 9 months later...

I just made an account to necro this thread. I googled flowers in car for hours and this is the first result. I didn’t realize i was on the LTT forums until after i read the thread. This is the most sweetest unexpected thing to come from a tech forum and i love it lol. 

6 hours ago, Vashwsa said:

I just made an account to necro this thread. I googled flowers in car for hours and this is the first result. I didn’t realize i was on the LTT forums until after i read the thread. This is the most sweetest unexpected thing to come from a tech forum and i love it lol. 

Well to answer my own question they did okay-ish. Not nearly as nice as they were when I got them but they still had some color to ‘em. Honestly it was the thought that all counted.

Man this was way back, I already finished my first semester of college and started working at a chemical plant xD

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Well to answer my own question they did okay-ish. Not nearly as nice as they were when I got them but they still had some color to ‘em. Honestly it was the thought that all counted.

Man this was way back, I already finished my first semester of college and started working at a chemical plant xD

How did things go in the end though? That's what we want to know. ;)

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580