Gaming/Content Creation under $500 USD?

Trav_X

Can I build something using new AMD Ryzen (or Intel if you really want that route) that can allow me to record gameplay in games like Rocket League or SMITE, play at 1080p 60hz while recording (and 2560x1080 60hz when not recording) and then edit that content without hours of rendering? 

I currently have peripherals and a monitor, that is not needed. I do need everything inside, the only spare parts I have is 16GB HyperX Blue DDR3 1600, but DDR3 sadly is no longer mainstream. GPU needs to be an upgrade over my 970M. I'm okay with using eBay to buy used GPUs and stuff like that if necessary.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

8 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Can I build something using new AMD Ryzen (or Intel if you really want that route) that can allow me to record gameplay in games like Rocket League or SMITE, play at 1080p 60hz while recording (and 2560x1080 60hz when not recording) and then edit that content without hours of rendering? 

I currently have peripherals and a monitor, that is not needed. I do need everything inside, the only spare parts I have is 16GB HyperX Blue DDR3 1600, but DDR3 sadly is no longer mainstream. GPU needs to be an upgrade over my 970M. I'm okay with using eBay to buy used GPUs and stuff like that if necessary.

well, if used components are on the table and if you're patient enough and smart enough with what you're buying and you go with a DDR3 platform then anything is possible.... but new? Honestly $500 is about the BARE MINIMUM one can spend on a functional PC. Even used you will likely need increase your budget to get close to what you're describing. I know rocket league and smite aren't the most intensive games by any means, but $500 is a REALLY tight budget.

It's slightly above budget, but the RX 470 is a huge upgrade over the 1050Ti other people will reccomend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($165.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB Triple X Video Card  ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $554.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 23:11 EDT-0400

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Zyndo said:

$500 is about the BARE MINIMUM one can spend on a functional PC.

Not even close.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gyg4vV

less than $250 with new parts.

an RX 470 or 1050Ti could turn this into an awesome gaming PC for less than $450.

obviously, there are some corners cut here, but it's just to show that it's possible

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

It's slightly above budget, but the RX 470 is a huge upgrade over the 1050Ti other people will reccomend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($165.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB Triple X Video Card  ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $554.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 23:11 EDT-0400

OP please get a ssd soon as you can 

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Not even close.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gyg4vV

less than $250 with new parts.

an RX 470 or 1050Ti could turn this into an awesome gaming PC for less than $450.

obviously, there are some corners cut here, but it's just to show that it's possible

Thank you for being "that guy". Always gotta be "that guy" more interested in being right than in being helpful. and no a G4560+ GTX 1050ti is not an "awesome gaming pc".... Sure you COULD run games on such a machine, and for the money it may actually be okay at it... but it would not be, in any sense of the word, "awesome". Though i suppose its fair, I DID use the word "functional"... and that PC would technically turn on and get you to the BIOS..... so if you want to write a BIOS level version of rocket league, SMITE, and also add in streaming support then congrats!... for the rest of humanity you're going to have to spend a bit more moneys.

I also forget that people are willing to steal/pirate their OS. It normally costs ~$90+ for us upstanding citizens. feel free to make whatever argument you want, but if you're not buying it from Microsoft directly (or authorized reseller), then its not legal. period.

@Trav_X what I said still stands. You're going to want to increase your budget in order to achieve the performance you desire with new parts. If you're going used parts you could probably get away with an LGA 1150 CPU (i3, i5)/board or some older AM3 platform (which actually can do a decent job of gaming anyway) along with other various cheap parts from used sources and be just fine with that budget if you're patient with your buying.

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Thank you for being "that guy". Always gotta be "that guy" more interested in being right than in being helpful. and no a G4560+ GTX 1050ti is not an "awesome gaming pc".... Sure you COULD run games on such a machine, and for the money it may actually be okay at it... but it would not be, in any sense of the word, "awesome". Though i suppose its fair, I DID use the word "functional"... and that PC would technically turn on and get you to the BIOS..... so if you want to write a BIOS level version of rocket league, SMITE, and also add in streaming support then congrats!... for the rest of humanity you're going to have to spend a bit more moneys.

I also forget that people are willing to steal/pirate their OS. It normally costs ~$90+ for us upstanding citizens. feel free to make whatever argument you want, but if you're not buying it from Microsoft directly (or authorized reseller), then its not legal. period.

@Trav_X what I said still stands. You're going to want to increase your budget in order to achieve the performance you desire with new parts. If you're going used parts you could probably get away with an LGA 1150 CPU (i3, i5)/board or some older AM3 platform (which actually can do a decent job of gaming anyway) along with other various cheap parts from used sources and be just fine with that budget if you're patient with your buying.

I'm building a super-low budget PC for my friend with an i3 4160, which is worse in every way compared to the G4560. before I bought the i3, I changed settings in my BIOS to disable 2 cores on my 4770K, disable turbo-boost, and lock the CPU to 3.6Ghz, just like the 4160.

I played battlefield 1 at ultra settings, and although it did bottleneck my 1070, obviously, dropping the FPS down from over 100 to about 70ish, it very rarely dipped below 60FPS, even in multiplayer with grenade spam. BF1 is a super CPU demanding game, and although I could've played a more demanding game mode (like conquest which loads up an entire map, instead of TDM loading up only a section), I didn't need to change my gaming habits at all. and with V-Sync on, the simulated 4160 almost never hit 100% load during BF1. it sayed around the 90% mark.

G4560 is BETTER than the 4160, so it shouldn't be a problem, especially with a lesser GPU.

so not only can you get into the BIOS, you can play essentially any game you want with no CPU bottleneck at all.

it's not an "awesome" gaming PC, but it is very good, especially with an RX470 instead of a 1050Ti

Windows 10 can be had for free directly from Microsoft. you just download the install file, and don't put in a key. it just has a watermark in the corner.

so no, I'm not the guy who always wants to be right, I'm just the guy who wants to right people when they are wrong.

Desktop:

Laptop:

this is the pc that I have built that works just fine for exactly that purpose- https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RBmvNN

keep in mind these are the prices I paid for them, and they may vary. It's all about timing, patience, and research to get a good price. 

later I added in a 1tb drive, some RBG, and a network card, which only put the price a little over $500

linus sex tips

28 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

so no, I'm not the guy who always wants to be right, I'm just the guy who wants to right people when they are wrong.

How adorable. You are not nearly wise enough to be speaking to me like that. putting you in your place has no purpose in this thread, and would only serve to prove myself right over you which is equally pointless. Have a good day.

Just now, Zyndo said:

How adorable. You are not nearly wise enough to be speaking to me like that. putting you in your place has no purpose in this thread, and would only serve to prove myself right over you which is equally pointless. Have a good day.

I would like to know if I've been wrong.

please, explain to me why I am wrong.

That last sentence was arrogant a bit, as a jab against your saying this:

44 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Thank you for being "that guy". Always gotta be "that guy" more interested in being right than in being helpful

but seriously, I'd like to get better in my knowledge. if a G4560 isn't good enough for gaming, I'd like to know why.

and if it has no place in this thread, DM me and explain to me what I've done wrong, or incorrectly assumed.

I'm not the type of guy to reject evidence to prove myself right, and I'm willing to change my mindset towards a specific piece or class of hardware if new facts surface or I am exposed to new information. so if I've made a mistake, I ask you, completely seriously, to explain to me where I'm wrong.

Desktop:

Laptop:

10 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

OP please get a ssd soon as you can 

I would probably just get an SSD first, and then add in hard drive later

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue