100% Disk usage spikes ruining PC

daiv

Sorry. Post glitch.

Basically, My computer, about once a minute, will just freeze for 1-2 seconds, after this I go and check history on task manager, and it happens when my disk spikes to 100%. 

I have no other problems with ram, cooling, etc.

What is causing this?

I have a 5 year old Crucial M4 SSD. Is it just failing because its so old?

Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/f0ukyz

2 minutes ago, daiv said:

Sorry. Post glitch.

Basically, My computer, about once a minute, will just freeze for 1-2 seconds, after this I go and check history on task manager, and it happens when my disk spikes to 100%. 

I have no other problems with ram, cooling, etc.

What is causing this?

I have a 5 year old Crucial M4 SSD. Is it just failing because its so old?

It might be the SSD I'm not too sure what it might be but wait till some else that has more experience than I do reply

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

How did you install windows?

If your OS is as old as your SSD is, then no wonder you're having issues.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

How did you install windows?

If your OS is as old as your SSD is, then no wonder you're having issues.

Not sure. I've build my PC of my dads old custom one. It started with windows 7 and I was built in 2012. I've never formatted my SSD or bought a new OS. I have upgraded to windows 10 for free though.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can check who's using the disk by going to Resource Manager (you can do so from Task Manager's Performance tab).

Explorer.exe is taking up 119 million B/sec on writing. System is taking 118 mil B/sec on reading.

2 minutes ago, daiv said:

Not sure. I've build my PC of my dads old custom one. It started with windows 7 and I was built in 2012. I've never formatted my SSD or bought a new OS. I have upgraded to windows 10 for free though.

Oh that's probably why.

The upgrade process is broken and will cause all kinds of issues over time, including disk usage spikes.

Do this and you won't have those problems again: https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

You don't need to do anything with the windows key, just "do this later" every time it asks you to put in your key, it will automatically activate itself when you connect to the internet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

51 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Oh that's probably why.

The upgrade process is broken and will cause all kinds of issues over time, including disk usage spikes.

Do this and you won't have those problems again: https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

You don't need to do anything with the windows key, just "do this later" every time it asks you to put in your key, it will automatically activate itself when you connect to the internet.

If i did option 2 (Going into windows and choosing to restore to factory settings), would there be any problems that would still lurk around?

It says "In addition, some people have reported that it won’t fix some system corruption issues, in which case you’d want to perform a real clean install using Option One above."

It should fix all my problems right?

4 minutes ago, daiv said:

If i did option 2 (Going into windows and choosing to restore to factory settings), would there be any problems that would still lurk around?

It says "In addition, some people have reported that it won’t fix some system corruption issues, in which case you’d want to perform a real clean install using Option One above."

It should fix all my problems right?

No, you need to clean install.

Spoiler