Is this coil whine? help confirm please.

gayclown
Go to solution Solved by Colin Donoghue,

Coil whine is not a problem that will damage components it is just an annoyance that doesn't sound pleasant so don't worry about it

Hello, this is my first time posting here, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong section.
So I build my own gaming PC and I've been using it for some months now, but recently I noticed a weird static noise coming from my PSU, I'm certain it's the PSU because I ruled out the video card and the CPU fan.

the noise starts whenever I play a demanding game or I have to much stuff going on my computer.
a little fix that I found is to set my power options to "balanced" instead of "high performance", but using balanced lowers the performance on almost every game.

I'm using an EVGA 500W.
here you can hear clearly the sound I'm talking about when I'm in the high-performance option: https://clyp.it/k1uuem1l

and just for reference this is when I'm using the balanced one: https://clyp.it/kcidmrdi

I'll leave the sounds attached to the topic in case any of the links expires

My biggest concern right now is to confirm this is indeed coil whine and not something more dangerous to my computer, I'm still changing the PSU when I get paid, but that's still a whole month away, I just want to know If I can relax until then and still play video games like usual or should I be careful until I get a new PSU.

Thanks in advance for any help, sorry again if this is the wrong place.

sound .mp3

nothing.mp3

what do you have for hardware have you put it into a power supply calculator because it could be that you power supply is not powerful enough for you hardware. And the whining sound could be the damage done after overusing and overworking it

4 hours ago, Colin Donoghue said:

what do you have for hardware have you put it into a power supply calculator because it could be that you power supply is not powerful enough for you hardware. And the whining sound could be the damage done after overusing and overworking it

I have a GTX 950 MSI for a video card and an AMD FX 6300 for processor, I can't remember the exact cooler I installed on it, but it was from cool master, also I have 8gb of ram

that shouldn't be that taxing on the power supply I don't know what to tell you if you still have a warranty see if you could get a replacement or it fixed but don't fix it yourself

sadly I don't have the warranty, but I won't do anything to try to fix it myself, I'd rather buy a new one, hopefully, that noise doesn't mean any bad news for the rest of my hardware.

I don't think your other hardware would have been damage because it would've just stopped working if there was a problem

So, this sounds shouldn't really be an issue? I just thought that something might be going wrong in there and that maybe could eventually do something to the rest of the hardware, you know, since the PSU it's kind of connected to everything else, then again, I'm probably over-reacting since it's my first build.

Coil whine is not a problem that will damage components it is just an annoyance that doesn't sound pleasant so don't worry about it

I wanted to make sure it's coil whine since the power supply should have no problem with my current components so I was a little scared, good to know it just an annoying sound, thanks for your time