Shield K1 or Predator 8?

IAR117
  • 1 month later...
On 4/25/2017 at 6:06 PM, kingkang said:

Definitely the Shield. It has a newer version of Android and will most likely get updates since the processor is from NVIDIA. 

I don't see how the processor beng from Nvidia means that it'll get updates faster

1 hour ago, IAR117 said:

I don't see how the processor beng from Nvidia means that it'll get updates faster

Well, NVIDIA not only makes the tablet, but also the SOC that's inside the tablet. This means that they can provide all the drivers needed for future Android updates. The Predator has not this advantage.

6 minutes ago, kingkang said:

Well, NVIDIA not only makes the tablet, but also the SOC that's inside the tablet. This means that they can provide all the drivers needed for future Android updates. The Predator has not this advantage.

Okay.But my Moto G4 has a Snapdragon 617. It gets updates very quickly. But there are plenty of other Snapdragon phones that don't get updated as quickly. Explain.

3 hours ago, IAR117 said:

Okay.But my Moto G4 has a Snapdragon 617. It gets updates very quickly. But there are plenty of other Snapdragon phones that don't get updated as quickly. Explain.

That is about the dedication of the manufacturer. Acer doesn't have a good track-record when it comes to updates, NVIDIA on the other hand does.

15 hours ago, kingkang said:

That is about the dedication of the manufacturer. Acer doesn't have a good track-record when it comes to updates, NVIDIA on the other hand does.

I get it now. I thought you were saying that the chipset being made by a certain manufacturers limits it's upgradeability in terms of software

I dont think its true that SoC OEM = better software support. This is not true for samsung. I think its more that no one else has a tablet at that price with that performance. I see this tablet going for a while before Nvidia has any motivation to bring out a new one. Once a new once comes out the existing range will get diminishing support.

I have the sheild tablet and a ipad mini 2. around the same price, maybe ipad is a little more, but ipad mini is much better. better screen and apple is quite good at software support. Only downside is apple TV sucks hard compared to the new 4k chrome cast

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I dont think its true that SoC OEM = better software support. This is not true for samsung. I think its more that no one else has a tablet at that price with that performance. I see this tablet going for a while before Nvidia has any motivation to bring out a new one. Once a new once comes out the existing range will get diminishing support.

I have the sheild tablet and a ipad mini 2. around the same price, maybe ipad is a little more, but ipad mini is much better. better screen and apple is quite good at software support. Only downside is apple TV sucks hard compared to the new 4k chrome cast

Just a thought, loading up Android Nougat on an IPad would void the warranty, right? Also this thread is somewhat useless now as the Shield K1 is no longer sold in the UK -_-

7 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Just a thought, loading up Android Nougat on an IPad would void the warranty, right? Also this thread is somewhat useless now as the Shield K1 is no longer sold in the UK -_-

its on amazon.co.uk.

You do not want to put andoird on an ipad

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_