Cooling solution for a Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

Takeo

Hey guys!

After 5 years I'm finally building a PC again. For the components - especially the case you may look here (Corsair 750D Airflow edition).

I am familiar with the terms 'positive/negative pressure' and 'airflow/pressure optimization'.

However, I don't know anything about which route to go on this build. (Water cooling or air cooling only? I'm not a big fan of watercooling though).

I was thinking airflow optimized with a slightly higher pressure.

What's your take on this one?

thanks in advance

Slightly higher pressure is better in my opinion. I'd go two in the front, one back, and one on top. Then make the case slightly higher pressure using either software, a fan controller, or just a fan that doesn't pull as much air compared to the ones pushing

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

57 minutes ago, Epic_Nex said:

Slightly higher pressure is better in my opinion. I'd go two in the front, one back, and one on top. Then make the case slightly higher pressure using either software, a fan controller, or just a fan that doesn't pull as much air compared to the ones pushing

Thought so as well. I'd lay it out as:
Front -> Intake

Back & Top -> Outtake

Keeping noise level in mind, what would you suggest as fans? I can't decide between Noctua and beQuiet! (And don't even know about specific models)

The 750D isn't a great case for airflow and is best suited towards liquid cooling. 

The stock case fans should already be plenty though. You can see how they perform before deciding on whether or not to replace them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 750D isn't a great case for airflow and is best suited towards liquid cooling. 

The stock case fans should already be plenty though. You can see how they perform before deciding on whether or not to replace them.

Why do you think the 750D isn't maximized for airflow? I was hoping, myself, to do a liquid cooled CPU (replacing the stock fans with SP140s from Corsair) mounted on the top, and then two front fans and one back fan. I would do a modest OC of the CPU, DRAM, and GPU. Would that put too much stress on the parts because the lack of high airflow provided by fans?

1 hour ago, Galifrayed42 said:

Why do you think the 750D isn't maximized for airflow? I was hoping, myself, to do a liquid cooled CPU (replacing the stock fans with SP140s from Corsair) mounted on the top, and then two front fans and one back fan. I would do a modest OC of the CPU, DRAM, and GPU. Would that put too much stress on the parts because the lack of high airflow provided by fans?

The case is a bit larger than necessary meaning air has to travel a longer distance to reach components from the intakes. The layout is mainly optimized for placement of rads.The front is definitely less restrictive with the Airflow Edition though.

I'm not sure what stress you're referring to. You don't necessarily need a lot of airflow from case fans. The stock case fans aren't amazing but should be enough.

SP140's aren't much better than the stock AF140L's.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The case is a bit larger than necessary meaning air has to travel a longer distance to reach components from the intakes. The layout is mainly optimized for placement of rads.The front is definitely less restrictive with the Airflow Edition though.

I'm not sure what stress you're referring to. You don't necessarily need a lot of airflow from case fans. The stock case fans aren't amazing but should be enough.

So, what models would you recommend for the positive pressure optimized configuration? Keeping noise level low is ofc welcome

21 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The stress I meant was the components heating up from the overclocking. Used the wrong phrasing there, my bad! Would there be a noticeable difference between the two types of 750D (airflow and flush-front)? I was going to use the SP140's for the rad fans since they are better for concentrated cooling, or so I've noticed, than the AF140's.

3 hours ago, Takeo said:

So, what models would you recommend for the positive pressure optimized configuration? Keeping noise level low is ofc welcome

The fan models don't affect whether there's positive or negative airflow. That's dependent on fan placement and rpm.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest seeing how the stock fans perform before deciding on whether or not to by new ones.

Are you also asking for a cpu cooler suggestion?

2 hours ago, Galifrayed42 said:

The stress I meant was the components heating up from the overclocking. Used the wrong phrasing there, my bad! Would there be a noticeable difference between the two types of 750D (airflow and flush-front)? I was going to use the SP140's for the rad fans since they are better for concentrated cooling, or so I've noticed, than the AF140's.

Case fans don't make a huge difference in cooling if you already have enough airflow. The stock case fans are already enough to properly exhaust the heat the components would produce. Adding more fans would probably be important if a second graphics card was added.

Oc'ing should be fine with the stock case fans.

There's a substantial difference between the original and Airflow Edition of the 750D. 

What rad are you referring to? SP140's would perform a bit better than AF140's on a rad but not by a large margin if the rad doesn't have a particularly dense fin array.