Is it safe to boot into legacy instead of UEFI?

spiralfuzion

I'm trying to boot into ubuntu on my windows 10 machine and can't because it's booting into efi mode. It says that I can work around this by booting into legacy. Is this safe?

3 minutes ago, spiralfuzion said:

I'm trying to boot into ubuntu on my windows 10 machine and can't because it's booting into efi mode. It says that I can work around this by booting into legacy. Is this safe?

is windows installes in non-UEFI?

Weird. I had the problem that my W10 install was legacy and so ubuntu needed to also be legacy and friends that had W10 installed as efi had ubuntu installed as that too. Legacy is fine but efi do have many good things. Are you sure that W10 is efi installed?

Just now, infigo said:

Weird. I had the problem that my W10 install was legacy and so ubuntu needed to also be legacy and friends that had W10 installed as efi had ubuntu installed as that too. Legacy is fine but efi do have many good things. Are you sure that W10 is efi installed?

If windows is non-UEFI mode, what happens is you have to boot into legacy. no biggie cheese, there.

4 hours ago, openthatchest said:

it's installed uefi i believe. I'm not sure if there is a way to check.

4 hours ago, infigo said:

does this mean it's efi or uefi?

efi.PNG

1 minute ago, spiralfuzion said:

does this mean it's efi or uefi?

efi.PNG

yeah, you have to boot in legacy . welcome.

so it says uefi. so that means my only option is to go into the bios and boot into legacy? 

2 minutes ago, openthatchest said:

If windows is non-UEFI mode, what happens is you have to boot into legacy. no biggie cheese, there.

That is what I meant. I've seen more complaining about running legacy and efi at the same time than the opposite. But if that is the way legacy works

4 hours ago, infigo said:

That is what I meant. I've seen more complaining about running legacy and efi at the same time than the opposite. But if that is the way legacy works

is there any danger to booting into it? I've tried to find my bios f key and cant seem to find it no matter what and I'm scared if I get stuck in a boot loop I won't be able to get back to any of the menus. You think it's a good idea to find that key before trying to boot into legacy?

so i booted into legacy should i just boot into the drive that has ubuntu? put it priority over the windows drive? @M.Yurizaki

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes.

well it looks as though that even though it says I'm in uefi I'm actually booted in efi. So if i want to actually dual boot I have to reinstall windows under uefi or install it after linux. Thanks Microsoft. That or it's me being dumb using a pc based off a pre-built from hp. But from what I can tell it's not possible to boot from a efi system. 

1 minute ago, spiralfuzion said:

well it looks as though that even though it says I'm in uefi I'm actually booted in efi. So i want to actually want to dual boot I have to reinstall windows under uefi or install it after linux. Thanks Microsoft. That or it's me being dumb using a pc based off a pre-built from hp. But from what I can tell it's not possible to boot from a efi system. 

Oh, that may be because the system is using Secure Boot. Now that I think about it, I installed Lubuntu (which is basically Ubuntu using LXDE) on an Intel NUC and it was booting in UEFI. So if you disable Secure Boot, you could install Linux, but your Windows install won't work (you'd have to reinstall Windows without it)

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Oh, that may be because the system is using Secure Boot. Now that I think about it, I installed Lubuntu (which is basically Ubuntu using LXDE) on an Intel NUC and it was booting in UEFI. So if you disable Secure Boot, you could install Linux, but your Windows install won't work (you'd have to reinstall Windows without it)

yeah that was what I was thinking. The first thing I did was disable secure boot so I'm assuming I have to start a new. Rip all my programs/files that can't be stored in the cloud.