I built my friend a PC, but he just blew my mind

Lord Nicoll

When my friend asked me to build him a PC, I was a little surprised as usually my lesser technical friends and family come, but I know he's knows how, however he was busy and couldn't. It was when I got the parts that he ordered and dropped off along with the list of stuff he'd like done, I was a little perplexed because there was water cooling gear, but no CPU block.... He had an air cooler for it. This kinda hurt my brain, because why not add a block on, they go for between €60 and €120, when you bought all the stuff for just a GPU it didn't make sense, he had a GTX 1070 (not a card I'd consider water cooling tbh) and an i5 7600K. I built it how he wanted, but I wished I taken photos or something, it was a big odd looking, but the scores proved me otherwise. I guess he decided it was better to cool the part that affects FPS the most, the GPU. I still don't think it was the best move, but what do you guys think? He could have gotten two AIOs, one for the GPU and one for the CPU, but this does do pretty good.. But now I question everything I know...

Yours faithfully

wat?

So he build a custom loop for GPU only? Totally legit move tbh. But not for 10 series cards. They can't do jackshit if they are not on DICE or LN2.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

When my friend asked me to build him a PC, I was a little surprised as usually my lesser technical friends and family come, but I know he's knows how, however he was busy and couldn't. It was when I got the parts that he ordered and dropped off along with the list of stuff he'd like done, I was a little perplexed because there was water cooling gear, but no CPU block.... He had an air cooler for it. This kinda hurt my brain, because why not add a block on, they go for between €60 and €120, when you bought all the stuff for just a GPU it didn't make sense, he had a GTX 1070 (not a card I'd consider water cooling tbh) and an i5 7600K. I built it how he wanted, but I wished I taken photos or something, it was a big odd looking, but the scores proved me otherwise. I guess he decided it was better to cool the part that affects FPS the most, the GPU. I still don't think it was the best move, but what do you guys think? He could have gotten two AIOs, one for the GPU and one for the CPU, but this does do pretty good.. But now I question everything I know...

My theory is that the gpu is staying very cool and not putting hot air into the case. There for making both the CPU and GPU cooler which in turn increases performance

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

wat?

So he build a custom loop for GPU only? Totally legit move tbh. But not for 10 series cards. They can't do jackshit if they are not on DICE or LN2.

Yeah, now I half expected it since GPU boost and all that, but a CPU block isn't that much, but then he'd probably need another rad, he only had a dual 140. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

My theory is that the gpu is staying very cool and not putting hot air into the case. There for making both the CPU and GPU cooler which in turn increases performance

Yeah, plus the card never hits 60°C, barely 50°C, so GPU boost goes all hype rdrive 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, now I half expected it since GPU boost and all that, but a CPU block isn't that much, but then he'd probably need another rad, he only had a dual 140. 

Dual 140s is enough for both.

Oh and please change that shitty clickbait title. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, FloRolf said:

Dual 140s is enough for both.

Oh and please change that shitty clickbait title. 

air temps tend to be kinda hot in his house, so I wouldn't really, plus he overclocked the system so I doubt that 280mm (the rad was 30mm so kinda on the thin side) would be ok, well, not unless you wnat 100% fan speed. And never, Clickbait is how the internet works, as much as it pains me

Yours faithfully

I've seen that before. I would've thought of cooling the CPU by itself or both but not just the GPU. Strange but not unreasonable.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Jaytwocents built a Nano S with only a 240mm rad to cool a 4790K @ 4.6GHz and a GTX970.

My racing rig also only has a 240mm rad for a 4790K @ 4.4GHz and an RX480. Temp for both CPU and GPU are only 55C and 50C respectively during gaming.

A 280mm rad is fine for an 7600K and GTX1070, as long as the rad fans are good.

Back to the subject. What's wrong with the loop just cooling the GPU?

21 minutes ago, Deli said:

Jaytwocents built a Nano S with only a 240mm rad to cool a 4790K @ 4.6GHz and a GTX970.

My racing rig also only has a 240mm rad for a 4790K @ 4.4GHz and an RX480. Temp for both CPU and GPU are only 55C and 50C respectively during gaming.

A 280mm rad is fine for an 7600K and GTX1070, as long as the rad fans are good.

Back to the subject. What's wrong with the loop just cooling the GPU?

His room can get really hot, up to 30°C sometimes, so I wouldn't trust it not to heatsoak. The main issue is for less than €60 more he could have added the CPU, he used a dark rock pro 3 for the CPU, which isn't a cheap air cooler, maybe he had half of them already, he had taken some of the packaging off some of it, others was just in bags, if he just had it lying around fair enough, but it wouldn't have been that much more. 

Yours faithfully