Pulled ps2 out after many years, what is the analog button?

NSDUO
Go to solution Solved by Dylanc1500,

It turns off the analog input of the control sticks. When you turn off the analog, the sticks become digital input like the d-pad, simple on and off.

Just pulled the ps2 out after many years, had a good time replaying Star Wars battlefront 2 in glorious 480p. I never knew what the analog button on the dualshock 2 was. Any ideas on its use?

It turns off the analog input of the control sticks. When you turn off the analog, the sticks become digital input like the d-pad, simple on and off.

10 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Oh that seems kinda stupid. 

Just now, NSDUO said:

Oh that seems kinda stupid. 

Yah, it was for PS1 games that didn't do analog input, but most of the time the button did nothing.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Yah, it was for PS1 games that didn't do analog input, but most of the time the button did nothing.

Yea I've been playing Star Wars battlefront 2 all day and the light never turned off under it or did anything

In case you aren't aware the ps2 has a psx system chip on it's board giving it near 100% backwards compatibility with ps1 games.  

Just now, Thunderpup said:

In case you aren't aware the ps2 has a psx system chip on it's board giving it near 100% backwards compatibility with ps1 games.  

Yea isn't it the I/O controller as well?

2 minutes ago, NSDUO said:

Yea isn't it the I/O controller as well?

I don't know what you mean by that,  but i do know that the ps3 is also backwards compatible with the ps1, even the models that can't play ps2 games.   It uses emulation though so its not perfect, but it gets the job done.