Asus Strix 1080 TI Very Odd Issue (Please help)

This may sound strange but could you try using DSR to render at a resolution over 1080p. You could try 1440p or even 4k. Maybe you gpu is being under utilized?

3 hours ago, foamygopher said:

This may sound strange but could you try using DSR to render at a resolution over 1080p. You could try 1440p or even 4k. Maybe you gpu is being under utilized?

It lowered the frame rate and didn't seem to fix it.

Did you try using a display port, or hdmi cable? Trying a different monitor, or even a TV. Maybe try just running just afterburner, or gpu tweak II. If all else fails you could try a fresh install of windows (i know it's annoying). Do you have another system you can check the card on, or maybe try in a friends system. If all else fails it might just be a bad card that needs exchanging.

there is actually an issue where when you go too far with your overclocks, it might not necessarily crash, but so much error correction is needed is slower than when you don't overclock. This applies to overclocking VRAM, GPU and CPU

6 hours ago, foamygopher said:

Did you try using a display port, or hdmi cable? Trying a different monitor, or even a TV. Maybe try just running just afterburner, or gpu tweak II. If all else fails you could try a fresh install of windows (i know it's annoying). Do you have another system you can check the card on, or maybe try in a friends system. If all else fails it might just be a bad card that needs exchanging.

Haven't done that yet. Will have to go and buy a display port cable. A new monitor is on its way. I was thinking I would try installing Win 8.1 instead of 10 because I was using that before without any issues. I've already created a backup and system image in case I have to go back to Win 10. And unfortunately, I don't have access to another system. 

4 hours ago, TheRealOranges said:

there is actually an issue where when you go too far with your overclocks, it might not necessarily crash, but so much error correction is needed is slower than when you don't overclock. This applies to overclocking VRAM, GPU and CPU

Haven't done any overclocking on this GPU or my CPU beyond turbo. 

So I took it to NCIX and they did some testing. They didn't find anything wrong and when they showed me its performance, it was butter smooth. 

On 4/26/2017 at 3:13 AM, foamygopher said:

Am now using DP and still the same issue.The next step is reinstalling windows. I'll be getting a new monitor hopefully next week, so I'm crossing my fingers. 

Something like this? happened to me twice but you were saying something about desktop tearing. Can you take a video of what is going on, it might help.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

1 hour ago, AdamHolt96 said:

Something like this? happened to me twice but you were saying something about desktop tearing. Can you take a video of what is going on, it might help.

Not not like that no. On the desktop, it's more with text kind of blurring and shaking when I scroll. It's subtle. With games, it just feels like when any camera /character movement happens the world around becomes unclear. Shaky even. Like really fast stuttering but fast enough to where the picture looks together. Because now any game I'm playing just causes my eyes to become unfocused. It's almost like my screen is slowed down just a little. 

And yes. I'll take a video of a game once I get home. Hopefully the camera doesn't hide the problem. Like when I went to NCIX, I saw my card performing properly. Butter smooth in Metro redux. I get home and it's nothing like that. Not smooth at all. I'm losing my mind.

I know this is a little old now. Hopefully you've fixed it. If not make sure intel turbo boost max technology is disabled. 

I finally got caught up with work and went to play a game and I had mad stutters on my 1080. Tried everything reinstalling windows, turning off applications. Then noticing the new icon I didn't know in the bottom right I disabled intel turbo boost and everything was smooth. 

1 minute ago, suits said:

I know this is a little old now. Hopefully you've fixed it. If not make sure intel turbo boost max technology is disabled. 

I finally got caught up with work and went to play a game and I had mad stutters on my 1080. Tried everything reinstalling windows, turning off applications. Then noticing the new icon I didn't know in the bottom right I disabled intel turbo boost and everything was smooth. 

I still haven't fixed it unfortunately :(. I thought Turbo boost is disabled in the bios and not by a setting. I'll try that but that would mean I would be stuck at 4Ghz and not be able to go to 4.4Ghz with my CPU. 

3 hours ago, farmfowls said:

Not not like that no. On the desktop, it's more with text kind of blurring and shaking when I scroll. It's subtle. With games, it just feels like when any camera /character movement happens the world around becomes unclear. Shaky even. Like really fast stuttering but fast enough to where the picture looks together. Because now any game I'm playing just causes my eyes to become unfocused. It's almost like my screen is slowed down just a little. 

This sounds like an issue I ran into with the ROG Swift PG278Q. It starting having some real issues running at 144hz. It looked as if letters, icon on the desktop were vibrating, Games looked downright scary. I dropped the refresh down to 120hz and all was well for like an hour. Then the issue crept up again. Tried the monitor on my brothers rig and it had the same issue. Replaced with Acer Predator XB271HU, and I couldn't be happier. Although sadly that wouldn't explain why your old card works.

21 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

I still haven't fixed it unfortunately :(. I thought Turbo boost is disabled in the bios and not by a setting. I'll try that but that would mean I would be stuck at 4Ghz and not be able to go to 4.4Ghz with my CPU. 

Turbo is locked when you run "high performance" mode within Windows Power Options, which you should be doing when gaming anyways. 

It may fluctuate a bit based on load, but not enough to impact performance.

17 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

You can try it. But, I don't think that's the issue here.

2 minutes ago, foamygopher said:

This sounds like an issue I ran into with the ROG Swift PG278Q. It starting having some real issues running at 144hz. It looked as if letters, icon on the desktop were vibrating, Games looked downright scary. I dropped the refresh down to 120hz and all was well for like an hour. Then the issue crept up again. Tried the monitor on my brothers rig and it had the same issue. Replaced with Acer Predator XB271HU, and I couldn't be happier. Although sadly that wouldn't explain why your old card works.

Well, I'm waiting on my PG279Q. Should be available next week. Maybe that will work? I really don't know at this point. I'm going to try a reinstall as well. 

3 minutes ago, foamygopher said:

Like I had the PG279Q for a few days before I had to return it due to BLB. Do you think in the short time I had it and the minimal gaming I did, my eyes could have switched over and are now refusing to adapt back? It had gsync. I'm going to test my 780 ti some more to see if it is still happening. 

3 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

Well, I'm waiting on my PG279Q. Should be available next week. Maybe that will work? I really don't know at this point. 

Ahh. That is the Asus equivalent of my monitor. Should be good.

3 minutes ago, foamygopher said:

Ahh. That is the Asus equivalent of my monitor. Should be good.

I'm hoping so, but it just seems so odd that I'm noticing this issue all of a sudden. I did start noticing it after I went back to my old BenQ 1080p monitor, but there's no way I played games like that for so long. And I can notice "smooth" gameplay obviously, so why can't I now? 

9 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

Like I had the PG279Q for a few days before I had to return it due to BLB. Do you think in the short time I had it and the minimal gaming I did, my eyes could have switched over and are now refusing to adapt back? It had gsync. I'm going to test my 780 ti some more to see if it is still happening. 

The BLB, and the issues I had with the PG278Q are the reason why I went with the Acer panel. I thought Asus said they was addressing the BLB. Maybe you got an older model? As for the adjustment with your eyes I don't think that's the issue. I have an HTPC hooked up to my 50 inch TV and I game on that. It's restricted to 60hz with vsync. I notice the difference. But, it dosen't bother me, and it dosen't manifest as blurred or shaky. Just a slight flicker.

I'm not sure if I can solve your issue the way you described it. I have the same GPU you have (same model too), and I had to use DDU to remove the old drivers to get my GPU to work properly. I played some PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, and the game suffered from low FPS, even with medium preset at first, but now I can get over 60 FPS maxed out at 1440p.

From your shots of GPU Tweak II (I switched to this software recently from MSI Afterburner for voltage control), it looks like the GPU isn't boosting at all. Try and do a clean install of your drivers through GeForce Experience (it uninstalls the drivers and Nvidia Control Panel, and the PhysX software) if you've already uninstalled the old drivers with DDU. Doing this will restore the Nvidia Control Panel settings to default.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Just now, foamygopher said:

The BLB, and the issues I had with the PG278Q are the reason why I went with the Acer panel. I thought Asus said they was addressing the BLB. Maybe you got an older model? As for the adjustment with your eyes I don't think that's the issue. I have an HTPC hooked up to my 50 inch TV and I game on that. It's restricted to 60hz with vsync. I notice the difference. But, it dosen't bother me. 

I had hoped they had gotten it fixed too, but nope. Mine had terrible BLB. 

2 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

I'm not sure if I can solve your issue the way you described it. I have the same GPU you have (same model too), and I had to use DDU to remove the old drivers to get my GPU to work properly. I played some PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, and the game suffered from low FPS, even with medium preset at first, but now I can get over 60 FPS maxed out at 1440p.

From your shots of GPU Tweak II (I switched to this software recently from MSI Afterburner for voltage control), it looks like the GPU isn't boosting at all. Try and do a clean install of your drivers through GeForce Experience (it uninstalls the drivers and Nvidia Control Panel, and the PhysX software) if you've already uninstalled the old drivers with DDU. Doing this will restore the Nvidia Control Panel settings to default.

I have already tried using DDU. Didn't fix it. And I noticed that as well. MSI shows it as boosting.... Do you think GPU Tweak II is just going for real time? 

43 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

Yeah I know what you mean but for some reason this program automatically downloaded on my intel machines. Just something to check. 

For me I knew it had to be a program because it worked smooth for a little but after I reinstalled windows. But got choppy again when I started losing programs back on. This one must have downloaded in the background. With other drivers. 

IMG_0198.JPG