Asus Strix 1080 TI Very Odd Issue (Please help)

Hey guys. I have run into a bit of an odd issue here and was hoping someone could try and help me solve it. You see I recently upgraded my graphics card from a 780 ti to a 1080 ti. When playing any games (even low intensive games such as Of Orcs and Men) with the 1080 ti, the graphics seem very "slow" in comparison to what I would get with my 780ti. Not in terms of fps, as I get more with the 1080 ti and enough with the 780 ti. I'm not really sure how to explain it. It almost feels as though I'm running at a slower fps than I actually am. It's similar to that noticeable visual difference/feeling when you go from 144hz back down to 60hz even though I'm at 144hz. I can't see consistent trails but things just don't seem as smooth and almost seem choppy. I don't know if it's a type of lag, stuttering or what it is. When I put the 780ti back in, this issue disappears. It’s most noticeable when I do any sort of camera movement in any game. Almost like it’s struggling to show me the picture at a consistent rate and lags behind. On both cards I am getting considerable fps (all above 60) while even more so on the 1080 ti so that's not an issue. I have done a complete clean install of all Nvidia drivers, disabled that Win 10 Xbox DVR streaming thing, disabled streaming within Geforce, played with various settings in game and out of game etc. Nothing has fixed it. I used the same TN 1ms 1080p monitor (while I'm waiting on my new 1440p) with DVI, when I tested both cards. I've tried both cards on 60hz, 120hz and 144hz but mainly use 144hz. Does anybody have any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it? I've tried everything I can think of at this point so hopefully someone here can give me some more ideas.

CPU

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard

Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Video Card

Asus Strix 780ti OC / Asus Strix 1080 ti OC

Case

Corsair Vengeance C70 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor

BenQ XL2420Z 24.0" 144Hz Monitor

Artifacting?  I'm not sure what you are trying to describe.

Have you tried uninstalling your video drivers with DDU and reinstalling them?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

6 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Artifacting?  I'm not sure what you are trying to describe.

Not artifacting. It almost looks like I'm running below 60fps when I'm really running 144hz. For example, when I am in a game and move the mouse along to move the camera, the image is not smooth at all and sort of blurs and lags behind slightly. 

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Have you tried uninstalling your video drivers with DDU and reinstalling them?

Yes I have. Did't seem to help any. I even tried using older drivers as well but the issue doesn't go away. 

1 minute ago, farmfowls said:

Not artifacting. It almost looks like I'm running below 60fps when I'm really running 144hz. For example, when I am in a game and move the mouse along to move the camera, the image is not smooth at all and sort of blurs and lags behind slightly. 

Mess with NVIDIA Control Panel and see if that works..maybe the refresh rate the GPU is set at isn't corresponding with the monitor refresh rate?  I've never heard of something like that happening..odd..

Just now, lilbman said:

Mess with NVIDIA Control Panel and see if that works..maybe the refresh rate the GPU is set at isn't corresponding with the monitor refresh rate?  I've never heard of something like that happening..odd..

I have. Everything seems to match up fine. 

2 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

I have. Everything seems to match up fine. 

RMA it if you can't find out the issue.  @LinusTech seems like a good idea for a Haunted Hardware episode?

Could my PSU be limiting the 1080 ti? Could something in my build be causing this?  

It's almost as if the images are falling behind during movement and when I stop moving the camera they fall into place. Somewhat stuttery. Like motion blur without motion blur enabled. 

Have you monitored your GPU clockspeeds at all? How about temps? Are you using GPU Tweak II? Have you tried using an display port cable, or HDMI? Do you have the creators update installed?

@foamygopher Nothing seemed out of the ordinary but I'll take a closer look once I get home. The temps seem fine as well. What is the creators update? 

1 hour ago, farmfowls said:

@foamygopher Nothing seemed out of the ordinary but I'll take a closer look once I get home. The temps seem fine as well. What is the creators update? 

Did you by chance go from not using motion blur to using it now or something similar?  A lot of times we have a tendency of cranking up the setting when we get newer and more powerful cards, but settings like motion blur and the like can really offset the feeling of the game. 

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Did you by chance go from not using motion blur to using it now or something similar?  A lot of times we have a tendency of cranking up the setting when we get newer and more powerful cards, but settings like motion blur and the like can really offset the feeling of the game. 

No. Checked in settings in various games to make sure of it. 

1 minute ago, farmfowls said:

No. Checked in settings in various games to make sure of it. 

Try going into the Nvidia control panel / Manage 3D settings and adjusting everything to high performance.  Set your display option to single display as well.

Also, make sure you're running your Windows power option on "high performance" as well.  

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Are you monitoring the clock speeds and GPU usage with anything?

had similar problem had to uninstall and reinstall msi afterburner 

and I guess this guy had similar issue with clocks not staying

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Try going into the Nvidia control panel / Manage 3D settings and adjusting everything to high performance.  Set your display option to single display as well.

Also, make sure you're running your Windows power option on "high performance" as well.  

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

I've tried some of these but will try all of themwhen I get home. Will keep you updated. Thanks for your continued assistance. I'm at my wits end here. *

3 hours ago, suits said:

Are you monitoring the clock speeds and GPU usage with anything?

I use MSI Afterburner as well as Asus GPU tweak 2. I did notice the GPU usage was maxed while doing some testing last night. 

3 hours ago, pas008 said:

had similar problem had to uninstall and reinstall msi afterburner 

and I guess this guy had similar issue with clocks not staying

I can try that but then why would my issue disappear when I install my 780 ti?*

20 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

I've tried some of these but will try all of themwhen I get home. Will keep you updated. Thanks for your continued assistance. I'm at my wits end here.  

I use MSI Afterburner as well as Asus GPU tweak 2. I did notice the GPU usage was maxed while doing some testing last night. 

What was the clock though? 100% usage at 1400MHz isn't working correctly. 

14 minutes ago, suits said:

I'll confirm when I get home. I remember the number 1900. Whether that's the clock I can't confirm. Will let you know. *

5 hours ago, suits said:

So after playing BF1 for about 10-15 minutes on Ultra averaging 100-120 fps this is what I get when I alt tab out. Hope I caught everything. It' just not smooth at all. Normally, I could actually clearly see a bush for example when rotating the camera. This issue is causing it to become somewhat blurred and jittery. I also noticed that within chrome when I scroll down with text, the middle of any line of text sort of tears. Again, before when scrolling I could clearly make out what was shown. Now I can't. 

3.PNG

Capture.PNG

s.PNG

i think you are talking about input lag and stutter

we have a pretty similar system and i noticed similar stuff in certain games

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

11 minutes ago, McHox said:

i think you are talking about input lag and stutter

we have a pretty similar system and i noticed similar stuff in certain games

I'm noticing it everywhere.